rim brake, tubeless compatible, lightweight rim suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

rim brake, tubeless compatible, lightweight rim suggestions?

I am going to build up a classic frame with more modern components.

But in building up the wheels, rim brake compatible rims seem few and far between.

Any good suggestions for lightweight, tubeless compatible rim brake rims out there?

thx

g

Bikes in jeans
    So I've been looking for a set for more than a year now and it's damn near impossible to find good ones in good condition unless you want to do a ghetto tubeless setup. A NOS set of Mavic Crossmax tubeless rim brake wheels just went for way over $1000 on ebay in case you're wondering what the market is for a good set of tubeless rim brake wheels.

There is nothing new available in production at all. You're entirely at the mercy of what hits local sites and ebay.

Here's what I have currently bookmarked. Personally looking for a set under 1500g which these aren't but they should be good wheels though.

New Bontrager ZR 9000 Race Lite Mountain Bike Racing Wheelset 26 Inch | eBay

And there's a number of threads about it, but apparently a bunch of people use the disc version of the ZTR 355's with rim brakes. They have a painted sidewall but it apparently does work and the paint will get worn off and you'll be braking on an unmachined aluminum sidewall. A little noisy but apparently is functional and lasts long enough that it's worth the consideration.

New Stan's Notubes ZTR 355 26" Mountain Bicycle Rim 32 Hole White | eBay
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbpete
    I have a couple pair of Stan's 355's left with machined sidewall and without a machined sidewall.They work great tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I have a couple pair of Stan's 355's left with machined sidewall and without a machined sidewall.They work great tubeless.
    This is what I was going to say if you can find them. Insanely light, but not for riders over 160lbs....too light for hard riding or really rocky terrain any bigger than that. DT Swiss was making some 26" rim brake rims that could easily be converted to tubeless with their rim strip system. I built a set for a friend with an old Merlin--they are significantly stronger than the stans. Mavic 819 rim brake version are still around sometimes but not super light.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

Just a flesh wound
    With a good tape job, almost any rim is tubeless compatible.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbpete
    For reference the 355 26in rim is about 360g. When scaled up to 29in that makes a 400g rim, which is fairly light, but there are lighter rims. Also, given the same rim and spokes 26in wheels are significantly stronger than 29in wheels or 27 for that matter. Also, this is rim brake, classic 26in mountain bike, which for all intents and purposes is incapable of traveling safely at the same speed as a disc brake bike with with new suspension.

Note, if you ride a rim brake rim long enough and in wet conditions the brakes will eventually wear the sidewall thin making it weaker over time. I've seen rim brake rims that were quite a few years old with worn sidewalls split from the tire pressure.