Reynolds Carbon rim leaking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Reynolds Carbon rim leaking

So anyone ever see this?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lyx9nzpnAYnseqbf7

Its doing it in about 5 places on the rear non drive side.

This wheel about to explode?

I am waiting to hear back from Reynolds....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieken View Post
    So anyone ever see this?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lyx9nzpnAYnseqbf7

Its doing it in about 5 places on the rear non drive side.

This wheel about to explode?

I am waiting to hear back from Reynolds....

Holy **** no, but that also may indicate sealant and air is making into the double-wall area, maybe through the valve-hole or under the tape, or it may just be leaking through the carbon, but that's some seriously porous/low density carbon with that kind of leakage, I wouldn't trust it on a ride, there's way to many air pockets in the carbon layup. I have carbon rims from 3 Chinese manufacturers and have never seen anything like that, even on 290gm weight weenie rims.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Hitching a ride
    Dumpster that junk.

mbtr member
    There's no way that the rim is leaking that much air. Not possible.

Your taping is bad, or your valve stem has an issue, or... i don't know, i'm not familiar with that rim. Your tire pressure is getting between the rim walls at an absurd rate; like there's no rim tape. It's really unlikely it's the rim's fault.

This is almost certainly an end-user error of some sort. It happens!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    There's no way that the rim is leaking that much air. Not possible.

Your taping is bad, or your valve stem has an issue, or... i don't know, i'm not familiar with that rim. Your tire pressure is getting between the rim walls at an absurd rate; like there's no rim tape. It's really unlikely it's the rim's fault.

This is almost certainly an end-user error of some sort. It happens!
    Did you even watch the video? It's literally leaking THROUGH the carbon lay up. The rim tape or valve may be leaking allowing sealant through the void. But a better tape job and more sealant isn't going to fix the fact that the goddamn sealant is capable of LITERALLY LEAKING THROUGH THE CARBON FIBER WEAVE.

OP, that carbon rim is as flimsy as a plywood board. Take that wheel off and get it warrantied. Someone must've skipped a few layers of carbon sheets in the Reynolds factory.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

EAT MORE GRIME
    leaking through the carbon

that rim is dead dead dead

carbon layup should be airtight, and even with voids, should be no way for material, air, liquids, anything to ingress and weep out the actual matrix

now that there is some substance inside the weave, it will perpetually start to unravel and creep and delaminate.

you can remove tire and clean up the rim retape and make it so no sealant leaks, but damage is already done. crap is inside the carbon. I'd junk that wheel asap
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Well going by the CushCore sticker and tons of sealant on the bead right about those 2 holes, I'm guessing you maybe cased a jump/drop hard, burped the tyre and have broken the rim. I certainly wouldn't be riding a rim that's leaking from the actual sidewall like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thatís scary!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just an update - re-taped the rim and it makes no difference at all. Actually taped it twice as the first time i thought the valve stem opening was too large.
    I called Reynolds and they will warranty the wheel, but it will be several weeks.

I did not take a big hit on it recently. I noticed this after my wheel would not seal after changing tires.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Did you even watch the video? It's literally leaking THROUGH the carbon lay up. The rim tape or valve may be leaking allowing sealant through the void. But a better tape job and more sealant isn't going to fix the fact that the goddamn sealant is capable of LITERALLY LEAKING THROUGH THE CARBON FIBER WEAVE.

OP, that carbon rim is as flimsy as a plywood board. Take that wheel off and get it warrantied. Someone must've skipped a few layers of carbon sheets in the Reynolds factory.
    LOL i didn't realize it was a video. Regardless, while there's no shortage of shoddy/damaged CF in the bicycle world, that part of the rim should not be pressurized. The fact that it is speaks to a second problem.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is why I've bought from the reputable Chinese manufacturers, the ones that make it for all sorts of other "companies", because they tend to know what they are doing and the quality is as good, or better than, any "high priced" carbon fiber rim IMO. Great that they are taking care of you. I agree there has to be something else happening here, possibly compromised structure. Unless they just didn't use enough resin, it seems like this would be hard to do in the manufacturing process.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well now Reynolds came back to me and told me its a problem with the tape. I've been taping wheels for years and never had this issue. For sure some air is getting past the tape, but it makes no sense that its not leaking from the spokes first! Also it only permeates from one side of rim which tells me its something more structural.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well now Reynolds came back to me and told me its a problem with the tape. I've been taping wheels for years and never had this issue. For sure some air is getting past the tape, but it makes no sense that its not leaking from the spokes first! Also it only permeates from one side of rim which tells me its something more structural.
    What's with the backtracking? I thought Reynolds had a lifetime warranty. I've done a crappy tape job on a carbon rim before and sealant leaked through the spoke holes. You'd think the warranty department would know that sealant isn't supposed to leak from the carbon weave.

I always thought of Reynolds as a pretty good brand that made quality products and stood by them. But now, not so much. This rim is probably a fluke that missed QC, but they should absolutely cover this under warranty. I swear, sometimes, it's like pulling teeth getting warranty replacements.

If Reynolds doesn't replace it under warranty, I'd go public with your issue. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Tag them. Put up some reviews. Call them out. Make sure others see. Force their hand to replace their clearly defective product. Sometimes, that's the only way to get companies to do what's right. And it's sad.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    It does look as though the rim itself has lost integrity. It's damaged, there are gaps in the layup/lack of resin. It's very likely that it's structurally unsound. Stop riding on it, if you haven't already.

EAT MORE GRIME
    send a pic and video to Raoul Luescher see if he can give an opinion

https://www.instagram.com/luescher_teknik/

send him the rim itself, ask him to cut it open and post a video
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter if no tape at all, rim should not be leaking air/sealant from the sides, something is wrong with the carbon, stop riding it and tell Reynolds to replace that POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Send them a letter asking them to sign a statement that it is normal for this to happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The response from them today was "Yes, I have seen this before. The rims are not designed to hold air. The rims are hollow. The Rim tape and sealant should stop air at the tape area. It must be leaking past tape pretty bad, to be doing that. Clean rim well, retape, and use Stanís sealant."

REALLY??????

Here is a quick vid showing the tape... trust me its a lot better than what it came with. https://photos.app.goo.gl/c1oK8hcknXZ4C4nW9

Bodhisattva
    From the video, the tape job looks impeccable.

Sorry bud. Looks like you may just have to send it in for inspection if the fresh taping doesn't work.

I'm curious what the outcome will be.

EAT MORE GRIME
    The excuses for this rim do not hold up.

scenario: you bring bike out in winter and get a little snow on the wheel.
    bike is warm, snow melts, water seeps into that rim a tiny bit since it is not well made

now you keep riding, wheel cools to below freezing, whatever little water in that rim freezes expands and micro cracks the wheel.

repeat

it is absolute horses**t they do not think that rim is defective. carbon layup properly made with resin will allow ZERO fluids to ingress and pass through. that things has voids obviously. unless your video is CGI

mtbr member
    Who knows how long your rim may have been like that?
    Last edited by RS VR6; 07-03-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    The excuses for this rim do not hold up.

scenario: you bring bike out in winter and get a little snow on the wheel.
    bike is warm, snow melts, water seeps into that rim a tiny bit since it is not well made

now you keep riding, wheel cools to below freezing, whatever little water in that rim freezes expands and micro cracks the wheel.

repeat

it is absolute horses**t they do not think that rim is defective. carbon layup properly made with resin will allow ZERO fluids to ingress and pass through. that things has voids obviously. unless your video is CGI
    Not to mention it'll corrode the hell out of dissimilar metal spokes and (alu) nipples.

Hitching a ride
    Let's think about this logically. If his tape job is good, the only place sealant could get in the rim is the small space between the edge of the tape and the tire bead. If he taped up the rim wall there would be no space and no possibility for leakage, but leakage in this place probably means there is a seam or crack at the base of the rim lip. This is a high stress location that handles most of the force from the tire bead, since the surface of a material handles the most stress. A structural compromise here is very bad. I wouldn't ride those wheels.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Let's think about this logically. If his tape job is good, the only place sealant could get in the rim is the small space between the edge of the tape and the tire bead. If he taped up the rim wall there would be no space and no possibility for leakage, but leakage in this place probably means there is a seam or crack at the base of the rim lip. This is a high stress location that handles most of the force from the tire bead, since the surface of a material handles the most stress. A structural compromise here is very bad. I wouldn't ride those wheels.
    Or at the Valve stem.

But I agree. Which is why I think the only course of action here is to send it in for warranty inspection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any update on the rim? I'm riding Reynolds and I'd love to know they honor their warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yes they replaced the wheel took a few weeks with shipping but they did the right thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well that's a good thing, it's just a little unfortunate that it took a bit of effort on your behalf to convince them. I guess that could be their way of weeding out BS.