Reynolds carbon 29er wheelset, $1150 Yea or nay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Reynolds carbon 29er wheelset, $1150 Yea or nay?

Local dealer has 1 set, a brand new pair. Price is $1150 out the door. Actual weight is 1566 grams.

Reynolds XC 29er carbon wheelset

Hand built. Comes with end caps galore for 9mm, 15mm and 142. Truly one 29er set you could take to future frames and not worry about compatibility or swap between current 29er bikes I own.

If you're a carbon 29er wheel user - whether you use the Reynolds or passed on them - what're the pros and cons of these?

How do they compare to Roval carbon?? I know Roval 29er SL are about 150 grams less per pair, have DT Swiss hubs and a great warranty.

The hubs are not DT Swiss. In-house. Is that a red flag?
    Last edited by westin; 03-20-2012 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have an older set I bought used. I weigh 240 with my gear and ride them on a steel SS. they are bomb proof. Have a buddy with the newer version and he really likes them. If you don't want them, I'll buy them for 1150. I need a set for my pivot 429.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    The reason to buy these over the Rovals is stiffness, not weight. Anyone can build a light wheel A light stiff wheel is the trick ;-)

I just got myself some Reynolds for my Tallboy Carbon for exactly this reason, despite being an obsessive weight weenie! For previous discussion, see:

- My blog for more details on these wheels
    - This post for a bit more discussion on Reynolds 29er XC Carbon wheels
    - Bikemagic Review HERE

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010

No Name Rovals

I got a set of carbon 29er imitation Roval wheels from seller on MTBR. The biggest thing I noticed is how well the bike tracks in turns and holds its line at speed. I didn't notice a big improvement in climbing or getting up to speed, but once you got rolling, the wheels really shine. $1,150 is an amazing price and worth every penny for the Reynolds. Buy them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $1,150 is a decent price. Colorado Cyclist has them from $1,200 right now. I've had a set since Jan. I love them and would agree with other comments about how stiff they are and how well they track. I would also say that I feel that they have great acceleration and they seem to hold their speed extremely wheel. A riding partner has a pair of the Rovals and he seem to like them. I don't think you can go wrong with the Reynolds if you can get past the weight difference of the Rovals....

Members who have read this thread: 0