Reliability of New Bontrager Carbon Wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reliability of New Bontrager Carbon Wheels?

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of Line 30 carbon wheels (takeoffs from a new Slash 9.9) for a good deal locally.

However, in doing some research on the wheel specs, I found the Bike Radar review where they had some serious manufacturing/reliability issues with the wheels: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...eelset-review/

Does anyone know if these issues were fixed in the more recent versions of the wheels?

These would be replacing a set of DT swiss M1700 Spline wheels with a 54T upgrade.
    '19 Yeti SB150
    '19 Specialized Chisel

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    A local rider I know that works at a trek store also had one of those come apart on him. Other than that, my personal opinion is that the depth of those rims is pointless and I see no need for bead hooks and the weakness they can cause in that crucial area. What I mean is, if they insist on having hooks why not shorten the depth some and apply more material to the sides?
    I sure wouldn't buy them without a warranty (unless you're talking a stupid low price). But feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt as I buy rims from light bikes and nextie on the cheap and build my own wheels.

mtbr member
    Doing some more research, I realized that the 'Line Carbon 30' wheels stock on the Slash are not the same as the 'Line Pro 30' wheels. The stock wheels do not have the 108 point engagement- they are 54T engagement and presumably weigh more.

Not enough reason to upgrade from my current wheelset. Plus I've read about a few more failures on the newer wheels...my M1700s might not be the flashiest or lightest, but they're durable and reliable!

The guy is selling them for $600. Maybe I'll lace my stock DT 350s to LB or Nextie rims down the road...
    '19 Yeti SB150
    '19 Specialized Chisel

Having a nice day!
    I picked up a set. So far, I really like them. And for $30 and a few minutes of your time, you can add three pawls and have 108 POE. Weight for the set in 27.5 is 1740g with tape and valves, so not horrible. The rims, to my understanding are the same as the Line Pro 30s. Some reviewers I read also preferred not having straight pull, so go figure. I did get mine at a really low price so it was an easy decision. I also flop between these and some LB AM728 on Hope Pro4 hubs and I like these better.

FYI, here is the video on how to upgrade the POE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrL7rkpuQE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    ...for $30 and a few minutes of your time, you can add three pawls and have 108 POE.
    Nice, thanks for that insight! Better deal than the stupid $100 ratchet upgrade in DT hubs!
    '19 Yeti SB150
    '19 Specialized Chisel

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Nice, thanks for that insight! Better deal than the stupid $100 ratchet upgrade in DT hubs!
    The star ratchet upgrade is a good chunk of change, but DT hubs are known for being durable. Compared to a typical pawl system with tiny springs that can break or lock up, the DT ratchet system is pretty much bulletproof.

FWIW, the hosts of the Just Riding Along podcast also didn't have kind words for the Bontrager wheels. No personal experience with the Bontrager rims or hubs but what I've heard doesn't sound promising.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    my M1700s might not be the flashiest or lightest, but they're durable and reliable!
    Maybe I'll lace my stock DT 350s to LB or Nextie rims down the road...
    That's the way to go.

I've got Line Pro 30's. Have been running them for over two years, lots of rock strikes that have only left cosmetic blemishes. The rims have proven to be very reliable for me, the rear hub not so much.

The rear hub failed, the inner ratchet is bonded to the hub, whereas the 350 inner ratchet is threaded into the hub. The amount of torque I was applying to the rear hub in Moab (28x50) was too much for the hub to handle. The inner ratchet broke loose, and I found myself spinning in place fruitlessly. Bummer of a walk back to the truck. I've worked at a Trek dealer and seen this failure happen many times on their lower end Line Comp wheels, which have the same design. Funny enough the exact same failure happened to a friend of mine on that same Moab trip on Captain Ahab (line comp wheels). He was lucky that it happened at the very start of that ride, not such a long walk. It was his second failure in a year with that rear hub.

Any way, Trek was kind enough to warranty that rear Line Pro for me, I was still within the 2 year warranty by a couple of weeks, though no doubt, if it was out of warranty by even one day, Trek would have been SOL bro...we'll sell you one for 20% off!

I sold the warranty wheel with my FEX, laced a straight pull 350 to the failed wheel's rim, not worried about hub implosion anymore.
    2020 SC Hightower

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    That's the way to go.

I've got Line Pro 30's. Have been running them for over two years, lots of rock strikes that have only left cosmetic blemishes. The rims have proven to be very reliable for me, the rear hub not so much.

The rear hub failed, the inner ratchet is bonded to the hub, whereas the 350 inner ratchet is threaded into the hub. The amount of torque I was applying to the rear hub in Moab (28x50) was too much for the hub to handle. The inner ratchet broke loose, and I found myself spinning in place fruitlessly. Bummer of a walk back to the truck. I've worked at a Trek dealer and seen this failure happen many times on their lower end Line Comp wheels, which have the same design. Funny enough the exact same failure happened to a friend of mine on that same Moab trip on Captain Ahab (line comp wheels). He was lucky that it happened at the very start of that ride, not such a long walk. It was his second failure in a year with that rear hub.

Any way, Trek was kind enough to warranty that rear Line Pro for me, I was still within the 2 year warranty by a couple of weeks, though no doubt, if it was out of warranty by even one day, Trek would have been SOL bro...we'll sell you one for 20% off!

I sold the warranty wheel with my FEX, laced a straight pull 350 to the failed wheel's rim, not worried about hub implosion anymore.
    I had the same thing happen a while ago, the updated hubs that came with the warranty replacement were bulletproof.

Having a nice day!
    Yeah, it seems that these can be hit or miss. Since I picked up mine for a bit more than a set of 350 hubs, it was worth the risk. But I may just hang onto that LB wheelset I've been running these since July and performance has been great so far.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses- gonna keep rolling on the stock DT wheels for the time being!
    '19 Yeti SB150
    '19 Specialized Chisel