Ahhh the pain....

Rekon Race 3C TR Exo toughness

Here in AZ, trails are tough on tires, and we're always looking for that super fast rolling, tough, light tire...you know, the unicorn tire. Me and several of the guys I ride with have been trying the new Rekon Race 3C TR Exo in a 29 x 2.25 with what I would call limited success (on the rear). Qualitatively, it seems like it's not quite as tough as Ikons (same 3C, TR, Exo) although after measuring sidewall thickness in several places with a micrometer, they seem to be the same.
    Anyone have any real life experiences with these? I'm wondering if the 2.25" casing (used on the Aspen, Forekaster, and Rekon Race might be a little more susceptible to cuts than the 2.2 casing used on the ikon?)
    Btw, I should also point out that we're all between 140 and 165 lbs and ride XC fairly aggressively... (in other words, we're not 225 lbs slaming down gnarly crap expecting a tire to last....).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Unfortunately don't have the exact answer you're looking for, although I have observed slightly better sidewall performance on 2.35 Ikon vs. 2.25 Aspen. Honestly suspect the sidewall is the same and that's just a matter of luck.

I've recently been looking outside the Maxxis world for a better rear tire (same deal, ride a variety in AZ, but it's on a hardtail and I'm 150lb...I shouldn't be a tire killer). Tried a Mezcal and like it, but killed a sidewall just yesterday doing a McDowell pass ride.

My next move is to try lightweight tire inserts...everyone seems to really like the performance offered from a dynamics standpoint, I figure if they end up protecting the tire like they hopefully will that could just be a bonus.

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...t-1072429.html