Rekon 2.6 vs Forekaster 2.6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Rekon 2.6 vs Forekaster 2.6

I'm am looking to lighten up one of my bikes, getting away from my usual Aggressor/Dhrii/DHF/MM itteriations and probably to something like Rekon 2.4WT Exo 60 TPI rear and Rekon 2.6 or Forekaster 2.6 up front. I figure I can get away with the lighter 120 TPI casing up front. I just cant decide which would be the better tire up front...based on tread design, I'd have to guess the Forekaster would offer a little better cornering (and possibly braking) on everything except hardback...at the expense of a little rolling resistance.

Also, why is it Maxxis lists the 2.6 Forekaster 3C Exo 120 TPI at 840g and the exact variant on Rekon is only 780g? The tread blocks probably weigh about the same, so the Forekaster casing must be bigger, or thicker, assuming those listed weights are correct?

mtbr member
    I run a 2.6 Forekaster in front and 2.6 Rekon in the back. Feel like the right set-up given their trend patterns.

Rekon 2.6 vs Forekaster 2.6-5010_hawes.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I dont suppose you've ever weighed them? Are they the same size?

Category Winner
    Interesting. I've been DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3 on one bike (with a sus fork) and Rekon 2.6/2.25 on my rigid SS.

Swapped the DHF 2.5 front for a Rekon 2.6 and the Rekon 2.6 front for the Forekaster 2.6 recently.

The first swap was to try to lighten up a heavier bike I built to shred Pisgah but also race at some point. The second was to get something a little more loose/wet condition friendly on the rigid. So far, both changes have been aces. I still think I'm gonna try to find something a little lighter/narrower for the suspended bike, but I'll keep the Forekaster on the rigid unless things are gonna be super dry. It likes to eat.

BTW: The suspended bike feels worlds different with more than a pound shaved off in rotating weight.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Nice! But I'm still not getting why the 2.6 Rekon and Forkaster are different in weight with the exact same iterations. Different thickness on casing I guess?

In regards to something skinnier, how about the Forekaster 2.35? I've also wondered about the Butcher Control for loose conditions...listed at 780grams. I'm sure it is a bit flimsy, but for light duty work up front, it's relatively light.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Nice! But I'm still not getting why the 2.6 Rekon and Forkaster are different in weight with the exact same iterations. Different thickness on casing I guess?
    Dollars to donuts, I'd say it's the knobs. They're way more pronounced on the Forekaster than the Rekon, especially the side knobs.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Dollars to donuts, I'd say it's the knobs. They're way more pronounced on the Forekaster than the Rekon, especially the side knobs.
    That makes sense. And I didnt realize there was that much of a difference...I was thinking the knobs were only 10% bigger and most of the difference was the spacing. But it sounds like the size difference is much greater than that...for which I'm glad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am running a 2.6 forekaster on the front and a 2.6 Ardent race rear on my Pivot mach 5.5.
    This is a snappy responsive and great climbing combo.

Got rocks?
    Anyoneís forekaster measure out small? I just put one on and it measured 61mm on i35. Pumped up to 40 and gonna see how it looks in The morning but donít see it growing to a full 2.6?

Got rocks?
    that didnít take long. First ride, at least itís holding air. Wasnít that impressed other than it rolled fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    that didnít take long. First ride, at least itís holding air. Wasnít that impressed other than it rolled fast.
    Ha. Yeah...if you've got rocks, and sharp ones, I wouldn't think this tire would hold up out back. I presume you were running in back?

Also, were you running the Maxx Speed 120tpi? Cause the DC 60TPI would have more cut resistance. Otherwise, maybe try the Rekon 2.6 in the new Exo+...it's only 890g (claimed).

Got rocks?
    Ha. Yeah...if you've got rocks, and sharp ones, I wouldn't think this tire would hold up out back. I presume you were running in back?

Also, were you running the Maxx Speed 120tpi? Cause the DC 60TPI would have more cut resistance. Otherwise, maybe try the Rekon 2.6 in the new Exo+...it's only 890g (claimed).
    Yeah 3c, I had it laying around is the only reason I used it. Either a rekon or WTB trailboss will replace it most likely. I donít think it will last much longer with that cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was thinking about going 2.6 Rekon front and 2.6 Forekaster rear. But some of you like the Forekaster better as a front?

This is for an Ibis Ripmo. It's currently on the stock 2.5 DHF / 2.5 Aggressor setup. I'd like to save some weight on the up and decrease some rolling resistance on the down.

mtbr member
    I haven't had a chance to ride the 2.6 Forekaster, just the 2.35, but I would be really surprised if it doesn't have more grip on anything other than hard pack than the 2.6 Rekon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to ride the 2.6 Forekaster, just the 2.35, but I would be really surprised if it doesn't have more grip on anything other than hard pack than the 2.6 Rekon.
    Ok, maybe I'm thrown off by the cornering lugs. Aren't they more substantial and/or regularly placed on the Rekon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eysikal View Post
    Ok, maybe I'm thrown off by the cornering lugs. Aren't they more substantial and/or regularly placed on the Rekon?
    Definitely more aggressive tread on the Forekaster.

Edit: misread post

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    No. They are larger and more widely spaced on the Forekaster 2.6, so better grip except for complete hardpack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    No. They are larger and more widely spaced on the Forekaster 2.6, so better grip except for complete hardpack.

Also, on a Ripmo you probably want a 60 TPI casing for the rear. Maybe not, depending on where you ride, but the 120 is awfully thin. So, in the name of weight savings, you might want to go with the 2.4 Rekon out back, or something similar.

Got rocks?
    I agree they 120tpi walls are thin. I had 4 rides on my 2.6 forekaster and slashed the sidewalk twice. Where as the rekons I never had that issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Loving my 2.6" Rekon on the front. Faster rolling than than the DHF, without sacrificing that much traction on my local trails.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I get the impression that the Rekon 2.6 is not considered a particularly fast rolling rear tire but I'm not sure if this applies for both dual compound and 3C MaxxTerra versions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    Loving my 2.6" Rekon on the front. Faster rolling than than the DHF, without sacrificing that much traction on my local trails.
    Thanks guys. What are running on the back? Iím in Northern Utah. So lots of dry, dusty, loose over hardpack conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey guys - Mikesee contributed much to 2.6 tire topics. Here's a good thread:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...s-1083136.html

I went with 2.6 Rekon front, matched with 2.6 XR2 rear- based on his reco. That said - tires haven't been mounted yet! Waiting the rain and muck to dry off, before I put these guys on.

mtbr member
    After some confirming advice at my local shop, I went ahead and picked up a 2.6 Forekaster for the front and a 2.6 Rekon for the rear. Both are 120TPI tires. Once our trails dry out I'll put them to the test.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks guys. What are running on the back? Iím in Northern Utah. So lots of dry, dusty, loose over hardpack conditions.
    Running a 2.35" Ikon. I have 35mm ID hoops (Spank Oozy Trail 395+) and read the Ikon actually measures around a 2.4" on 35mm wheels. It's pretty fast rolling yet still has grip when needed. Been riding the DHF/DHR combo since last May, wish I would've switched sooner. It's too sluggish for Central Florida, IMO.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I was a fan of the 2.35 forekaster, but recently tried the 2.6 XR4 on a new hardtail I got and so far have been loving it. Have a pair in 2.6/2.4 waiting to go on my FS bike. The hardtail is running 35mm IW rims vs 28 or 29mm IW on the FS, so fit will be different. Nice thing about the bontragers is I can swap out the 2.6 for another 2.4 if needed since they have the 30-day ride guarantee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just got weighed a new Rekon 29" 2.6 in the 3C Exo MaxxTerra. It came to 915 grams! That is quite a bit more than the listed weight of 780 grams. I got it to shave rotational weight for an endurance race so I am a little disappointed. I would have gotten the EXO + had I known. Maybe it weights 1000+??

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Are you sure you didn't get EXO+? I just got 2 new 3C/EXO/TRs and they both weighed 810g.

In the past, I've had 3 that weighed between 760-786g.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't get EXO+? I just got 2 new 3C/EXO/TRs and they both weighed 810g.

In the past, I've had 3 that weighed between 760-786g.
    I just re-weighed with the zip tie and plastic hanger off. It weighs 896 grams. I was over-estimating the packaging.

The package says it's 3C MaxxTerra Exo and verifies the 620000 which should be right. I can't find anywhere on the tire that says 3C or 120 TPI. The M349RU number matches on the package and the tire. Weird.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's BS...I'd return it. 116g heavier, or almost a 15% increase, than advertised weight is unacceptable to me. Especially when people buy a tire like this to save weight vs something like a Minion etc.

mtbr member
    After some confirming advice at my local shop, I went ahead and picked up a 2.6 Forekaster for the front and a 2.6 Rekon for the rear. Both are 120TPI tires. Once our trails dry out I'll put them to the test.
    Iíve taken this setup out on a few rides here in Northern Utah. I donít think the 2.6 Rekon as a rear tire is going to work for me. It likes to skid when braking and the other day I had my first crash in a long time because the Rekon slid out from under me while cornering. I still need to play with tire pressures a bit, but I think itís just not a good fit for me. The 2.6 Forekaster up front seems fine. Maybe a second Forekaster out back would do the trick.

For context, this is on an Ibis Ripmo and most of our trails are loose over hard pack. The Forekaster/Rekon combo definitely rolls much fast up and down than the stock 2.5 DHF/Aggressor combo.

I just ordered a 2.3 DHR II for the front and a 2.35 Forekaster for the rear to try next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    That's BS...I'd return it. 116g heavier, or almost a 15% increase, than advertised weight is unacceptable to me. Especially when people buy a tire like this to save weight vs something like a Minion etc.
    I contacted Backcountry and they said the tire should definitely say 3C if it really is. They think it is a packaging error and this is the wrong tire. They sent a return shipping label. I guess I'll run my 2.5 DHF saturday. I guess the Growler course is pretty rocky and rough so that might be a good choice anyway.

Moodle
    Jul 2018
    I just replaced a Rekon 2.6 Fr with a Dhr 2 2.3 and it weights 880 Gramm and looks smallish. I will Keep the Recon 2.6 on the rear for a safer xc combo. However it feels weird having a smaller tire on the front and larger on the rear. 🙈

Will ev. go back to Nobby Nic 2.6 fr and Rock razor 2.35 rear as my favorite Combo.
    Sorry for the spelling....

Ps my Rekon weights 812g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've been researching these tires.. my Intense Primer came with 2.35 Forekasters, my local bike shop dont stock rekon but they told me the rekon was a more aggressive tire and fit between the DHf and forekaster. Reading some of your input it seems the forekaster may have more grip.

I find my forekaster has enough grip for 90% of my riding so I may stick with it, but theres times i can't quite corner quick enough becuase i feel the bike breaking loose or it doesn't feel as planted as I'm use to with my enduro bike.

Maybe I'll stick with the same tires and put in some trail maintenance and do a berm on a few our faster corners.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adam74 View Post
    I've been researching these tires.. my Intense Primer came with 2.35 Forekasters, my local bike shop dont stock rekon but they told me the rekon was a more aggressive tire and fit between the DHf and forekaster. Reading some of your input it seems the forekaster may have more grip.

I find my forekaster has enough grip for 90% of my riding so I may stick with it, but theres times i can't quite corner quick enough becuase i feel the bike breaking loose or it doesn't feel as planted as I'm use to with my enduro bike.

Maybe I'll stick with the same tires and put in some trail maintenance and do a berm on a few our faster corners.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    I had the same experience with the forekaster, for most of my riding it was fine...but I always felt that I was limiting my speed going down because of the tire. The swap to a DHF front was a good move, but I kept the Forekaster in the rear.