Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42

    Recomended Front Tire for my bike...?

    Hi ... I'm looking for a tire to use at the front. Rear I have a Conti RACEKING. OK.


    I need one front tire


    My use is dirt/dust, ups and downs mountains, I'm not going to much in single tracks or mud. But I want something safe on descend mountains... but have a good rolling resistance

    In the site bike inn I found some tires that I look for 29... 2.2-2.3:

    maxxis ikon
    maxxis ardent
    maxxis ardent race
    michelin force xc or force am
    vittoria barzo
    Schwalbe Fat Albert Rear HS478 (its suitable for front maibe?)


    which ones would be the most interesting?
    Thank you very much

  2. #2
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiagooo View Post
    ... but have a good rolling resistance
    Your overthinking it, rolling resistance doesn't really matter when it comes to front tires.

    Personally of your list I would choose the Ardent, but I would recommend the 2.4 version.

    If I were going outside your list, I would look at the WTB VIgilante 2.5, you can't ask for more grip.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,798
    Sounds like you've got a 2.2 Race King out back...

    A 2.35 Ikon or 2.35 Ardent Race would work nicely with your RK.

    I've run both up front during endurance type events & both worked really well.

    Rolling resistance would go to the Ikon.

    Whilst braking & grip would go to the Ardent Race.

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Your overthinking it, rolling resistance doesn't really matter when it comes to front tires.

    Personally of your list I would choose the Ardent, but I would recommend the 2.4 version.

    If I were going outside your list, I would look at the WTB VIgilante 2.5, you can't ask for more grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Sounds like you've got a 2.2 Race King out back...

    A 2.35 Ikon or 2.35 Ardent Race would work nicely with your RK.

    I've run both up front during endurance type events & both worked really well.

    Rolling resistance would go to the Ikon.

    Whilst braking & grip would go to the Ardent Race.

    'Born to ride!'
    understand!! Thanks!!!

    ... this site only have 2.2 version :/

    I'll give one more research

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    250
    Rolling resistance definitely makes a difference, even on the front tire. Just not as big a difference as on the rear tire. If you arenít doing single track, what is your main usage? Double track? Gravel? The Fat Albert is definitely overkill if you arenít doing technical trails. I agree with the Ikon recommendation, although after that if you think you might need a little more grip, you might consider a Rekon. I have the Ardent Race - I like it as a rear tire mostly because it seems a little more heavy-duty (Iíve yet to tear a sidewall on the two Iíve used which is impressive in my book). But I definitely like the Rekon better as a front tire.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Rolling resistance definitely makes a difference, even on the front tire. Just not as big a difference as on the rear tire. If you arenít doing single track, what is your main usage? Double track? Gravel? The Fat Albert is definitely overkill if you arenít doing technical trails. I agree with the Ikon recommendation, although after that if you think you might need a little more grip, you might consider a Rekon. I have the Ardent Race - I like it as a rear tire mostly because it seems a little more heavy-duty (Iíve yet to tear a sidewall on the two Iíve used which is impressive in my book). But I definitely like the Rekon better as a front tire.

    I live in Brazil, in the interior. There are many dirt roads, with ascents of altitude of 200-600 meters ... we go up, we go down, but in them they pass cars too... But because it's high temperature climate, there's a lot of "loose sand".
    I think this can be considered GRAVEL?

    In bikeinn the tires in 2.3-2.35 if I think its interesting is:
    Michelin force am/xc (U$ 24-38)
    Schwalbe Fat Albert Rear HS478 (U$ 39)
    Maxxis agressor (U$ 34)

    Or I'll have to choose a 2.2-2.25

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiagooo View Post
    understand!! Thanks!!!

    ... this site only have 2.2 version :/

    I'll give one more research
    The 2.2 Ardent Race would be fine ^^

    Personally I wouldn't run a 2.2 up front... but, I'm a hard charging Rhino (Clyde)!!

    Anything under 2.35 ain't happening up front, for me o_0

    My father-in-law runs a 2.2 AR on his Anthem w/o issue.

    He weighs a buck fifty, dripping wet though >.<

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    The 2.2 Ardent Race would be fine ^^

    Personally I wouldn't run a 2.2 up front... but, I'm a hard charging Rhino (Clyde)!!

    Anything under 2.35 ain't happening up front, for me o_0

    My father-in-law runs a 2.2 AR on his Anthem w/o issue.

    He weighs a buck fifty, dripping wet though >.<

    'Born to ride!'
    I think is
    Probably better than x-king performance right? The maxxis appears to have exo protection and is suitable for tubeless

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiagooo View Post
    I think is
    Probably better than x-king performance right? The maxxis appears to have exo protection and is suitable for tubeless
    Tubeless ready ^^

    EXO FTW!!

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Similar Threads

  1. Recomended Trails/Bike Rental
    By DocBilly in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 08:54 PM
  2. Recomended Trails/Bike Rental?
    By DocBilly in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM
  3. Flatline Park recomended for bike park operation ?
    By eastsiderider in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM
  4. Recomended bike for my class.
    By theefool in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 05:50 AM
  5. recomended bike shops in houston?
    By samagon in forum Texas
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.