Reccomendation On 29er studded tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Reccomendation On 29er studded tires?

Looking at getting out this winter, and cant afford a fatbike quite yet so I'm going to be needing some studs. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkyak View Post
    Looking at getting out this winter, and cant afford a fatbike quite yet so I'm going to be needing some studs. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    I think you will find that your options are sort of limited in the 29er range...Nokian makes the best, though. IMO

See if they have any...or Schwable (just checked them...they have 29ers).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Make them youself

- A set of rough tires
    - 3-400 15x2,5mm wooden skrews
    - a set of extra tubes
    - a bore, 1,5mm
    - a couple of cold beers, its time consuming

Bore holes from the outside and in with the 1,5mm bore. Bore through the biggest knobs on the tire. Screw the screws from the inside and out as far as you can. Make sure to do it sraight so the screws don't vome out at an angle. The screws should be about 5mm on the outside of the tire. Split your extra tube, and put it so it covers all the heads of the screws on the inside of the tires. Ones you mount the tire on your rim and put in a new tube, make sure the airhokding tube is not in contact with the screw-heads.

Bam, your best wintertire ever!

A few pictures here: http://terrengsykkel.no/index.php?id=92

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    Make them youself

- A set of rough tires
    - a set of extra tubes
    - a bore, 1,5mm

Bore holes from the outside and in with the 1,5mm bore. Bore through the biggest knobs on the tire. Screw the screws from the inside and out as far as you can. Make sure to do it sraight so the screws don't vome out at an angle. The screws should be about 5mm on the outside of the tire. Split your extra tube, and put it so it covers all the heads of the screws on the inside of the tires. Ones you mount the tire on your rim and put in a new tube, make sure the airhokding tube is not in contact with the screw-heads.

A few pictures here: [terrengsykkel.no] - Sykkelnyheter - Verksted: Hjemmelagde piggdekk
    those things look evil!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Make them youself

- A set of rough tires, used onesbare perfect.
    - a set of extra tubes
    - a drill, 1,5mm

Drill holes from the outside and in with the 1,5mm drill. Drill through the biggest knobs on the tire. Screw the screws from the inside and out as far as you can. Make sure to do it sraight so the screws don't come out at an angle. The screws should be about 5mm on the outside of the tire. Split your extra tube, and put it so it covers all the heads of the screws on the inside of the tires. Once you mount the tire on your rim and put in a new tube, make sure the airholding tube is not in contact with the screw-heads.

A few pictures here: ahttp://terrengsykkel.no/index.php?id=92

I'm with stupid
    What tires did you start with? Are those in the 29er flavor?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not used on 29er, but on 26. Used an old pair of Maxxis, think it was Advantage.

The recepy is from our national forum/mtb magazine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!
    What are your options?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    What are your options?
    Honestly it looks like there isn't too many options as far as 29er studs go. The schwalbe ice spikes and ice spikes pro seem to have the most amount of studs per wheel weighing in at 300+ per wheel in the pro version. But they are ~150 a tire which seems like a lot. I'm not going to be racing, just commuting back and forth from work. I found some Continental Spike Claw which are only around 60 a piece, and it seems like it would do the job, but again I'm new to winter riding so I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Nokian Gazza Extreme 294. I love em. If you are commuting on paved roads in winter conditions, you can go with the narrow is better philosophy and use 700c tires. That will get you some more options.
    $100+ per tire is kinda par for the course for studded tires. After your first ride on crappy icy roads with them will have you thinking money well spent though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Honestly it looks like there isn't too many options as far as 29er studs go. The schwalbe ice spikes and ice spikes pro seem to have the most amount of studs per wheel weighing in at 300+ per wheel in the pro version. But they are ~150 a tire which seems like a lot. I'm not going to be racing, just commuting back and forth from work. I found some Continental Spike Claw which are only around 60 a piece, and it seems like it would do the job, but again I'm new to winter riding so I'm not sure.
    For commuting (you should have said that in your OP) I've found:
    Schwalbe Snow Stud - used as a rear tire for a couple of years - IMO horrible, rolls slow and the studs don't grip well (casing very stiff).
    Nokian Mount&Ground W160 - I'm on my 2nd as a front tire and love it. Decent on snow and ice, seems to roll ok on dry pavement. I tried it on the rear and found it rolls kinda slow.
    Nokian Hakkapallita (sp?) W106 - my current rear tire - grips pretty well and rolls better than any studded tire I've tried so far. They have a new 700C tire that is similar but has a different name.

Schwalbe Winter Marathon - looks like the tread is lower than Nokians so may not be great in loose/deep snow, but has 200+ studs so should be great on icy roads. I've ordered some of these but haven't tried them yet.

Ice Spikers and Extremes will work, but are overkill for commuting, unless the majority of your commute is rough ice and/or snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looking at your profile (AK), I would stick to one of the wider options. There are no cheap 29er studded tires. I run some 40mm Nokians, which are fine for my conditions in Madison WI (we get plowed out pretty quick), but I am guessing that you deal with moderately deep and more importantly, partially packed roads. If your roads are quickly plowed and/or fluffy snow (not the packed stuff that a narrow tire occasionally cuts through, occasionally floats on), then I would recommend the Nokian Hakkapulita 40mm.

Frt Range, CO
    I like my 700C Kenda Klondikes, cheap and sure-footed on the road. I have the 35mm version, there's a 40mm version too:

Universal Cycles -- Kenda Klondike Skinny Studded Tire

use vip10 coupon code to save 10%

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions, i did some looking around at some of the local shops and i found these at REI

Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 Studded Tire - 700 x 40 - Free Shipping at REI.com

They are 40mm wide, which is nice. The kenda klondike is also a tempting choice. haha now im having a hard time deciding!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, i did some looking around at some of the local shops and i found these at REI

Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 Studded Tire - 700 x 40 - Free Shipping at REI.com

They are 40mm wide, which is nice. The kenda klondike is also a tempting choice. haha now im having a hard time deciding!
    I run these and love them. I ran them one season on the 29er and the last 2 on the CX bike.

They work great on paved roads with hard packed snow and ice. They are too narrow for any type of soft snow, they want to cut down through crud to the hard surface beneath.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 11-24-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: provided more content

Members who have read this thread: 0