chips & bier

Rebuilding DT 240 front hub to 15 mm

Does anybody have an idea whether a regular 100 mm x 9 mm QR DT Swiss 240 front hub can be rebuilt for use with a 100 mm x 15 mm thru-axle?

I know DT Swiss offer a 15 mm version for centerlock, but I really would prefer an IS 6-bolt version (like the hub I have now), as I don't want to fit an ugly adapter if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the info!
    Cheers,
    Eric

Old man on a bike
    Try phoning DT Swiss in Colorado?

ps Oops, you're in Rotterdam...try phoning them in Switzerland?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I've never seen any part to convert the 9mm QR hub up to 15mm thru, but I do know there is are replacement end caps to convert the 20mm thru down to a 15mm thru

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Does anybody have an idea whether a regular 100 mm x 9 mm QR DT Swiss 240 front hub can be rebuilt for use with a 100 mm x 15 mm thru-axle?

I know DT Swiss offer a 15 mm version for centerlock, but I really would prefer an IS 6-bolt version (like the hub I have now), as I don't want to fit an ugly adapter if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the info!
    Cheers,
    Eric
    The 240 Oversize (6-bolt) is available for 15mmQR.

The bearing size in the 240s 9mm QR 6-bolt is the same as the Centerlock version but the axle is different. The CL 15mm uses a spacer rather than the axle. No idea if the CL parts would work in the 6-bolt hub. Would require pulling at least one of the bearings to make the conversion if it is possible. A call to DT is needed.

I have several Shimano hubs that I use the DT CL adaptor on. It actually makes a very sleek and cleaning looking setup. Does not look like an add-on piece. 6-bolt looks bulky by comparison.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

chips & bier
    Thanks for the replies, everybody! I'm going to drop DT a line on this one. I'm temped to swap bearings / axles since that would be the least time & material consuming, but I need confirmation. If all else fails an adapter or front wheel rebuild is still a way out.

The bigger problem is finding an F120QR15 here for less than the local $1600 list price

R.I.P. DogFriend
    On my Shimano QR15 hub, the lockring needs to tightened using an external BB tool. The posts on the DT Swiss adapter are longer, but machined to allow room for the lockring. It looks to me like the posts would interfere with either the socket type or wrench type tool.

DT Swiss makes a separate adapter listed as being for 15mm hubs, but it looks like the posts protrude from the rotor on that one too if the pic is accurate. The only thing I could see working is if the lockring has a smaller O.D., but it looks like the same type that uses an external BB tool so there goes that. Has anybody used the DT Swiss CL-2-6 Bolt adapter on a QR15 hub?
    Last edited by jeffj; 11-08-2009 at 06:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got a similar question about converting my 240s 6 bold QR to 20mm through axle - dtswiss isn't answering emails. Does anyone have a phone number for their colorado location?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24elsinore
    I've got a similar question about converting my 240s 6 bold QR to 20mm through axle - dtswiss isn't answering emails. Does anyone have a phone number for their colorado location?
    that conversion isn't possible

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    that conversion isn't possible
    Exactly...the 240 OS is convertible from 20mm to 15mm to 9mm thru to 9mm QR

The standard 240 6 bolt front is only 9mm QR or 9mm Thru

mtbr member

Is it possible?

Found this old thread and have to ask... is it possible to convert a standard 9mm QR 240 hub to 15mm?

I know DT sells the kit got the OS hubs, is it possible to change the endcaps on the regular DT 240 hubs to 15mm...with a DT conversion kit or any other manufacture?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Found this old thread and have to ask... is it possible to convert a standard 9mm QR 240 hub to 15mm?
    It is not. I purchased a 15mm version hoping to swap parts over as the two versions looked identical on the outside. Would not work so the wheel got rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DT 240 (old style) Conversion

Problem is the axle is 12mm and there is no axle/bearing kit......

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

3rd party conversion is available

i was looking to do the same conversion from 240s (non OS) to 15 QR and came to the conclusion that it is not possible. but i did find a 3rd party kit, check it out. google (i can't post links with my account yet):

WMS 15mm Axle Conversion kit, DT Swiss 240 front QR hub

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Its aftermarket, and you'll get smaller bearings than what DT designed the wheel around.

Probably not a big deal, and probably comparable to bearing sizes from other hubs... but just throwing it out there. It also uses ceramic bearings which drive the cost up unnecessarily. 100 bucks.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave View Post
    It can be done!!!!

After searching high and low...........

DT Swiss 240 QR Hub Quick Release to 15mm thru Axle TA Adapters Conversion Kit | eBay
    Did anybody see these in stock somewhere recently?

mtbr member
    Anytime you go with smaller bearings to "make things fit" you run into wear issues. Take a read about Isis bottom brackets for a good history lesson. Plus the "proper" DT240 hub for thru-axles has wider flanges = stronger wheel. I wouldn't touch that kit but to each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I did this conversion with the eBay kit and it used bearings that are widely used in other hubs, so I suspect that durability should be OK. But durability of a non-OEM kits is always a good point to mention.

I have done the conversion and ridden the wheel - it works great, though I did ahve o adjust the 15QR tension adjuster on my FOX fork to get the same skewer engagement as with a standard DT Swiss 350 15qr hub, so that suggests that the aftermarket parts may not be exactly same as a true 15qr hub. YMMV.

Here's another option to purchase the kit if the eBay link doesn't work anymore:
    Western Mountainsports - Home

It's about 2x the price of the eBay route.

mtbr member
    I read that the end caps work for 2011+ hubs, is there a way to identify the 9mm QR hubs besides measuring the external ID of the axle at 18mm?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    I read that the end caps work for 2011+ hubs, is there a way to identify the 9mm QR hubs besides measuring the external ID of the axle at 18mm?
    The one that I converted is a pre-2011 9mm QR axle style. DT Swiss does not make a conversion kit to do this - it's an aftermarket kit.

This hub: DT Swiss - 240s

If you look on the DT Swiss website, you will see this document:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Sup...tion-Hubs-240s

It shows that DT Swiss 9mm hubs do not offer a conversion to 15QR. However, you can convert "backwards" from 15QR to 9mm.

You can easily pull the end caps from any DT Swiss hub with a pair of pliers to see the axle. It should be pretty obvious what size it is.

Cannondale Maros Team
    Hello guys,

Meanwhile since this topic was kinda dead, is there an aftermarket solution for a pre 2011 front Qr9 240S Center lock solution to convert it to QR15?
    And I think I need also an axle for the rear one because the X12 TA isn't going thru the hub..
    Thanks a lot,
    VLad

Members who have read this thread: 25