mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Rear Tire Rubs Frame when Pedaling

Hi, all of a sudden my rear tire started to touch the frame on the left side when I pedal hard. I thought it was dirt at the beginning and then maybe the brakes, but finally saw what was happening after riding for 45 minutes. Hell of a workout. Can anyone tell me what I would need to adjust to correct this problem. It seems to be that the force that the chain produces on the rear derailleur causes the tire to shift to the left only when I pedal with a lot of force.
    Thanks...

mtbr member
    Check and see if you need to get your wheel dished, or maybe you tweeked your frame.

Check the paint to see if their is any wear on the Chainstaies. Ive had this happen on a couple of bikes in the past, and both of them it was due to a bent rear end.

mtbr member
    First check if the wheel is seated properly in the drop outs. That might be your whole problem.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    First check if the wheel is seated properly in the drop outs. That might be your whole problem.
    +1

This is the post common cause of alignment problems I run into.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks a lot for the input. I took the wheel apart last night to find that the skewer was bent... Don't know how I managed to do that. At least I have no scratches to show for it. Took the bike to near dealer to have them tune up the whole thing and fix the wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    digging up an old one here but im having this same problem with my 03 Specialized rockhopper comp. it isnt the tire/wheel size and i've tried multiple quick releases.

as soon as i torque on the crank it jets right to the left chainstay.

i do have this set up full rigid and do ride it often and hard. im going to take the wheel to get trued tomorrow but im fearing a twisted rear end...any other thought would help

are there any pretty accurate ways to see if it bent?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    im pretty certain she is bent...i pulled a different wheel off of another rockhopper. the only way i can get it to not rub the frame is to lift the left side of the QR axle up about 2 or 3mm. its pretty obvious that the brake side dropout has been bent up..

( i had the bike upside down on the floor hence the lifting up on that side )

Elitest thrill junkie
    Crappy (non-shimano) QRs are notorious for not clamping enough to keep the chain from doing what you describe. Another idea is BMX axle with nuts, available for any older shimano hub. These are even better in that respect. I had a DH bike I had to do this to. Could be bent though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Steel axles with the bitey nuts are secure as hell. I have one of those ghetto step-down axles (to get a 12mm thru-axle hub into a frame with 10mm dropouts) holding in a 142 hub that I filed down to fit a 135 hardtail frame. Seems extremely dubious, right?

Have ridden that bike as a rigid on somewhat serious trails. No issues. The teeth on the back of the nuts are probably hell on the frame, though, so it's pretty much a one-and-done for me until that wheel dies. You can use steel washers to spare the frame, but then you'd really wannna use loctite or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    ive tried quite a few different quick release axels. re packed the bearings and like i said...i even stole the rear end off another bike and got the same results. that plus the fact like i said in order to get the wheel to sit straight i have to move the one side of the quick release 3mm , im feeling like im only left with a bent frame. i really love this bike but i also like riding so im trying to figure it out so i can either strip this frame and rebuild or fix it. thanks for the responses too

Barely in control
    Bend it back

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Bend it back
    in all of my mtb years and bikes...i've never had to do this. ive read a few things on the matter but really skeptical on it A. working and B. just bending back after a few roots..

Members who have read this thread: 39