Rear hub clicking when freewheeling (twice per rev)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Rear hub clicking when freewheeling (twice per rev)

Got a new bike with ethirteen TRS Boost wheel in the back. After some unfortunate user error I had to take it to my LBS to get the rear wheel re-taped. After picking it up I now hear a clicking sound only when free-wheeling.

The sound is twice per rev (click, click.......click, click.......). And it's only audible when free-wheeling at walking speed (so totally unnoticeable while riding). I've checked as best I can to ensure it's spokes, or any other kind of rubbing.

I don't really mind it, but since the wheel is brand new, I'm wondering if I should take it in to have the hub taken apart? Could it be anything serious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If you take the wheel off do you still get the sound when you spin the cassette by hand?

The other thing could be rotor rubbing on the brake caliper. See if you still get the sound freewheeling with the rear brake gently engaged
    Ibis Ripley OG
    Santa Cruz Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by meschenbruch View Post
    If you take the wheel off do you still get the sound when you spin the cassette by hand?

The other thing could be rotor rubbing on the brake caliper. See if you still get the sound freewheeling with the rear brake gently engaged
    Lightly braking and freewheel still has sound. The sound is there when I turn cassette by hand. It's a new wheel, so I assume I should take it in. But is a small click a big deal usually?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Small that doesn't belong can become a fail far out on the trail. You could be walking back a long way. So this is the time to find out what's up. I'd take it in and hang while the service tech took the hub apart so you can learn how to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    loose cassette maybe? I had click sound while pedaling that was actually due to a loose cassette. Loose in not torqued up to spec.

mtbr member
    You sure it's the hub? I have a little tiny piece of something that knocks around inside my alum rim. Not sure what it is, but it makes a similar click, click sound that you describe, at slow speeds. It's always been in there. I don't notice it most of the time.