Rampage 2.35 Review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rampage 2.35 Review

I was very excited to see a brand new Rampage come in the other day. Here is my review...

I ride a Titus Motolight setup as a heavy duty trailbike. I'm currenlty using DT5.1 dishes w/the tubeless kit. My front tire is a Blue Groove 2.35 stikee my rear was a Nevegal 2.35 DTC. The Rampage is a replacement for my Nevegal. I mounted up the tire using Stan's. The tire slides on the rim real easy but it was a pain to get it to pump up tubeless. This was the most problematic tire I ever had using Stan's. I could not get it to take air. After about 4 hours of maddening work I got it take air. Once I got it to take air It did seal up nicely. No leaks at all and no pressure loss overnight. I noticed the Rampage was as wide as the Nevegal but not as tall. It also looked and felt a lot tougher than the Nevegal.

Onto the trail. It rained this morning so the trails were quite wet and slippery (but I've ridden much worse) so this would be a good test for the Rampage.The trail I hit was rugged New England singletrack with short but steep climbs and equally short and steep downhills, big rocks, slippery roots, mud, etc... I started with the pressure at around 28 psi. On the road it was quick and felt solid, no squirmies. I started out on hardpack singletrack and immediately noticed how quick the tire felt. As the trail progressed I noticed that I could really lean into the turns w/o it slipping. I had to try real hard to get it to slip out. I came to the first hill and I things changed. As I was climbing I could hear the tire slipping. When I got out of the saddle the tire instantly slipped out on me. I had to throw my weight really far back to keep on the trail. When I got to the top I hit some rocks. It seemed to slip off the wet rocks pretty easily. I found myself dancing around to stay on the bike. Then I came to some roots and I was almost thrown from the bike. The tire completely slipped out. I figured it was a fluke because I've ridden these trails when they were twice as slippery w/o these problems. So I dropped the pressure to about 24 psi and I rode more roots on purpose and it was just as bad. I continued on and hit some mud. That worked out fine. I then came to a slippery downill rockface. Normally this is not a problem even when it's slimy. This time I almost fell off the bike. I hit a couple more steep hills and had the same problems.

Overall the tire felt great when it was dry and into the turns. Traction on the wet and slippery sucked. I didn't like it climbing either. It was so bad that I'll be throwing my worn out Nevegal back on until I can figure out what tire to try next. It could work on the front but definitely not on the rear for my type of riding.

Cheers...

Incredulous bastard
    That's similar to my assessment. I find that it corners considerably better than the Navegal but slips out worse on climbs. Luckily cornering is more important to me than climbing.

In which direction did you run the rear tire?

mtbr member
    I ran the tire in the recommended direction.

I'm in the opposite situation. I need traction real bad. The Nevs were great except for their durability. I was hoping the Rampage was going to be a tougher Nev. I think I'm going to try the Fat Alberts or Big Betty's next.

mtbr member
    Want me to take that Rampage off your hands? It never rains or gets muddy here and I'm needing a new tire to replace my Nev 2.1 in back... or my BG 2.35 in front.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

never ender
    hey, have you tried it up front yet, and could we get a pic next to the Nevegal?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Overall the tire felt great when it was dry and into the turns. Traction on the wet and slippery sucked. I didn't like it climbing either. It was so bad that I'll be throwing my worn out Nevegal back on until I can figure out what tire to try next. It could work on the front but definitely not on the rear for my type of riding.
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4's.
    Switched to these F & R earlier this year after almost 2 years with the Kenda BG/Nevs.

The BBs are bigger than the 2.35 Nevs. About as big as the 2.5s. They're also heavier than the 2.35 Nevs but have considerably less rolling resistance than a Nev yet have as much if not more forward traction and they hold an edge much better than a BG up front.

Think about giving them a shot.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4's.
    Switched to these F & R earlier this year after almost 2 years with the Kenda BG/Nevs.

The BBs are bigger than the 2.35 Nevs. About as big as the 2.5s. They're also heavier than the 2.35 Nevs but have considerably less rolling resistance than a Nev yet have as much if not more forward traction and they hold an edge much better than a BG up front.

Think about giving them a shot.
    I second the Big Betty recommendation. Great in all conditions and they roll soooo well
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I second the Big Betty recommendation. Great in all conditions and they roll soooo well
    Third
    2 wheels

Time flies...

Sold!!

Larry, hook me up w/ a set of BB's to go on the new RFX I'll be ordering from you soon...
    ...every day sends future to past...

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by no one in particular
    That's similar to my assessment. I find that it corners considerably better than the Navegal but slips out worse on climbs. Luckily cornering is more important to me than climbing.
    Based on assessment, does it make more sense to run Rampage in front? And run Nev in rear?
    sth

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Based on assessment, does it make more sense to run Rampage in front? And run Nev in rear?
    Yes. Indeed, I was saying just that today. Unfortuanately, my main reasoning for trying the Rampage is because I very quickly tear lugs off the Navegals, especially when I run them in the rear. So that'll still be a problem.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Nevegal

Rampage

If you do not stand straight up or lean over the bars and just stomp on the pedals it has plenty of climbing traction. I am not a fan of ramped knobs because they do reduce traction but not enough for me to stop using the Rampage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you do not stand straight up or lean over the bars and just stomp on the pedals it has plenty of climbing traction. I am not a fan of ramped knobs because they do reduce traction but not enough for me to stop using the Rampage.
    Oh, dang. Thanks, shiggy, it didn't occur to me to not stand straight up and just mash on the pedals. That should clear it right up.

But really, I did have much better luck with 'em today. I rode the area's most technical rocky/rooty single track (which was wet today) and didn't notice much difference in climbing between them and the Navegals. And yesterday they did okay on very steep sandy climbs. Still, they slip out on roots and such more, but it's worth it to me for the way they corner.

But then, I have three rides on 'em and still haven't had a chance to ride them in dry conditions.

Members who have read this thread: 0