Race Face ARC 45 rim lacing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Race Face ARC 45 rim lacing question

I'm building up a set of wheels with Race Face ARC rims. On the tire side of the rim, I can tell that there is some stagger to the spoke holes, i.e. every other hole is closer to one side than the other. On the inside of the rim, they appear centered. My question is, are the holes drilled at an angle so the spokes make a straighter run, or are they really staggered? So, would I lace the spokes on the drive side to the holes that are appear closer to that side when viewed from the tire bead, or the other way around? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Edit: This link: Wheels describes it better than I can:

"Some rims might be drilled on the rim's centerline but they were probably drilled at an angle - and angled alternately towards each hub flange. This is usually quite subtle but nevertheless quite important. Check this way - look at the holes in the tire side of the rim - are they offset? If so, they are always offset opposite to the hub flange that they point at. But they are angled to that flange. Try this - look closely at the tire-side rim hole. Peer through the hole to the hub-side hole. Get the hub-side hole visually dead center in the tire-side hole. Eyeball it closely. The sight path, through the two holes, will point to one side of the rim or the other. This shows the correct path from rim to hub flange. They will alternate flanges."

Is this how these rims are drilled?

turtles make me hot
    It sounds like they are drilled that way. I've built a few sets and doing two more sets shortly but I don't have any in front of me right now.
    Stick a spoke through a hole and see if it's angled slightly. If it is, make sure you lace it to the hub like that. I just do it, so it probably didn't even dawn on me that it was or was not.
    I like turtles

mtbpete
    Yes, the spoke holes are angled on these rims. They alternate toward each side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    It sounds like they are drilled that way. I've built a few sets and doing two more sets shortly but I don't have any in front of me right now.
    Stick a spoke through a hole and see if it's angled slightly. If it is, make sure you lace it to the hub like that. I just do it, so it probably didn't even dawn on me that it was or was not.
    I tried putting the spokes in the rim to see if there's an angle, but if there is, it's really subtle. I intially built the wheel up the other way, assuming that the spoke holes were offset. When I was done, it looked a little funny. The nipples were at a very slight angle to the spokes. I'll take it apart and lace it up the other way. Any reason to fear that the spokes or nipples are damaged from being laced up wrong?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I'll take it apart and lace it up the other way. Any reason to fear that the spokes or nipples are damaged from being laced up wrong?
    No.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    OK, this is interesting. I had contacted Race Face tech support, and just got in touch with them. The guy I spoke with said that the spoke holes are not drilled at an angle, but the holes in the tire bed are drilled offset to make it easier to get the nipple driver square to the head of the nipple as the spoke is tightened. So, it doesn't make any difference which way the spokes go.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Is this how these rims are drilled?
    It's usually easy to tell if you look through the rim bed side and align both holes... you will be looking to one side or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Update: I relaced the wheel the "right" way. The nipples and spokes now exit the rim in a nice straight line to the hub. The wheel trued up beautifully with all spokes within +/-10% tension. Thanks for the advice everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I am looking to buy these wheels and something looks wrong.. any thoughtsRace Face ARC 45 rim lacing question-spokes.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by runawaytoday View Post
    I am looking to buy these wheels and something looks wrong.. any thoughtsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	spokes.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	1303901
    It's hard to tell from that angle. I don't think it would make a huge difference if they were laced "wrong" like I did when I built the first one. Buying used wheels can be a bit of a gamble. Good luck.

turtles make me hot
    They're awful dirty.
    I like turtles