mtbr member

Quiet the i9 Hub

I put this video together after not being able to find much info on YouTube about how to do this. Figured I'd throw it up here since aside from YouTube this is the second best place for bike info! Hope it helps someone else out there.

</robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    It works. Thats what I used on my I9. They sound similiar to a dtswiss 54t now...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I put this video together after not being able to find much info on YouTube about how to do this. Figured I'd throw it up here since aside from YouTube this is the second best place for bike info! Hope it helps someone else out there.

What grease did you use?

mtbr member
    Grease mentioned in the video

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Lol, Not watching every minute of a 15 Min video.

The video title makes it sound like the poster did something special ( like use a special grease).

... But no. :/

mtbr member
    I didn't hear the finished results. No before and after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Lol, Not watching every minute of a 15 Min video.

The video title makes it sound like the poster did something special ( like use a special grease).

... But no. :/
    He mentions the grease first couple of minutes...dumonde tech grease

mtbr member
    I've always been a bit concerned about doing something like this as I figure grease quiets the hub by slowing the return of the pawls. As long as it's no so slow that they don't fully engage when you apply power it's probably OK...I guess?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I've always been a bit concerned about doing something like this as I figure grease quiets the hub by slowing the return of the pawls. As long as it's no so slow that they don't fully engage when you apply power it's probably OK...I guess?
    This is the same reason that I9 does not want people using greases like slick honey as the higher viscosity will prevent proper engagement. Dumonde tech's products are what i9 recommends, so using those would likely avoid all issues

mtbr member
    I9 suggested dumonde tech grease as alternative

mtbr member
    I like the sound of my I9 hubs. I'm considering hooking a microphone up to them and broadcasting an amplified version through speakers so that people will get out of my way sooner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I like the sound of my I9 hubs. I'm considering hooking a microphone up to them and broadcasting an amplified version through speakers so that people will get out of my way sooner.
    Haha

5$ bell
    or
    400$ hub...

I'll take the hub

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    I didn't hear the finished results. No before and after.
    I was kind of hoping for an "after" sound bite as well, as I'm considering these hubs but don't care for the sound of the free-hub.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by silent713 View Post
    I was kind of hoping for an "after" sound bite as well, as I'm considering these hubs but don't care for the sound of the free-hub.
    If you don't like the "sound" I would look into a different hub. Plenty of hubs available that you don't have to futz with.

mtbr member
    There are links to the products I used in the Show More on YouTube and also on my site: Silence the Haters – Lube an I9 Hub – B1KER I used the Demonde Tech Freehub grease that was recommended to me by I9. I called their support number and asked them what to use. They said the oil would be for regular maintenance, but if you wanted it to be quieter then to use that. I had previously purchased the Slick Honey but before I used it called I9 and they were very adamant about not using that product. They said it would mess up the way the hub works because it was too thick.

If you want to hear the after sound you can check out any of my new videos. For instance you can hear it in this one: Rockville Redemption – B1KER That was the ride I went on that day. Or a week later in Downieville: Downieville SNAFU – B1KER

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I put the recommended Dumonde freehub oil plus some DT Swiss star ratchet grease in my I-9 hub, and it was silent for about half a dozen rides, then slowly got louder and louder. Does the Dumonde Tech Grease keep it quiet for longer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I put the recommended Dumonde freehub oil plus some DT Swiss star ratchet grease in my I-9 hub, and it was silent for about half a dozen rides, then slowly got louder and louder. Does the Dumonde Tech Grease keep it quiet for longer?
    When I first applied the grease it was significantly quieter. As the grease has distributed due to use the noise is louder but still not as loud as a stick I9 hub..

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    How easy is it to replace the bearings in those hubs? Or are people sending them in for that?

mtbr member
    Eh. Decided to stick with Kings.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmkid85 View Post
    How easy is it to replace the bearings in those hubs? Or are people sending them in for that?
    I9 hubs are super easy to work on. Replacing bearings is a simple chore. Tap out the old bearings and press in the new ones using a long bolt, a couple of metal washers, and two bolts. Measure the diameter of the bearings and there is the size of your DIY tools. 10 minute job.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Tap out the old bearings and press in the new ones using a long bolt, a couple of metal washers, and two bolts.
    What are you doing with the two other bolts?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    What are you doing with the two other bolts?
    Whoops, half asleep when i typed that. Meant two nuts on each ends of washers on the long bolt and two wrenches, there's the DIY press tool. Seen people use appropriate sized sockets to press in bearing also. Just be careful not to damage the seals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I tried DT Swiss grease and my I9 hub was crazy loud. As per I9's recommendation I picked up some of that Dumond Tech grease and it made a big difference. Initially it was super quiet, after a few rides it got louder but is nowhere near as loud as stock. My hub was obnoxiously loud prior to the Dumond Tech grease.

Magically Delicious
    I have no idea as to the fact of my statement, but for many years, I have heard that DT Swiss Freehub grease is re-branded and red colored Dumonde Tech Freehub grease.

I have questioned this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have no idea as to the fact of my statement, but for many years, I have heard that DT Swiss Freehub grease is re-branded and red colored Dumonde Tech Freehub grease.

I have questioned this.
    I honestly figured the same, but from personal experience my hub is without a doubt a ton quieter with the Dumond Tech grease. It's hard to imagine, but somehow it mad enough it quiter and much much more bearable. With the DT Swiss grease my hub was beyond obnoxious and you could not hear my buddies Chris King huh at all, now our hubs are on par.

I'm not sure what grease I9 uses upon assembly, but as per their recommendation for a whiter hub I went with the Dumond Tech grease and it is a big difference compared to stock.

Magically Delicious
    Industry nine uses Dumonde Tech Freehub oil, not the grease for assembly. However, they state that either the oil or grease is acceptable and Dumonde Tech is what they sell on their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I9 also claims that simply adding more Dumond Tech Freehub oil can quiet the hub. I just tried this and it made a dramatic difference. I removed the pawls and springs from my Torch hub as per I9's Tech doc (the springs are super easy to lose, work carefully in a clean room). Cleaned the pawls, pawl sockets and drive ring. Replaced the pawls and springs. Added a generous drop of oil to each pawl, several drops to the drive ring, and a few drops to the freehub seal (these are all delineated in the Tech doc). Installed the freehub back on the main hub, greased the top of the outboard bearing (Phils) and replaced the end cap. Greased the threads on the freehub, lubed the spline interface with TriFlow and reinstalled my XO1 cassette. Just took the bike out for a short spin and it is much, much quieter than stock. I may have had an especially loud stock hub. It seemed louder than most of other I9's I met on the trail and there was relatively little lube in the freehub when I opened it up. If your hub was not as loud as mine to begin with, you may see a smaller difference when adding a bit more Freehub oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylian View Post
    I9 also claims that simply adding more Dumond Tech Freehub oil can quiet the hub. I just tried this and it made a dramatic difference. I removed the pawls and springs from my Torch hub as per I9's Tech doc (the springs are super easy to lose, work carefully in a clean room). Cleaned the pawls, pawl sockets and drive ring. Replaced the pawls and springs. Added a generous drop of oil to each pawl, several drops to the drive ring, and a few drops to the freehub seal (these are all delineated in the Tech doc). Installed the freehub back on the main hub, greased the top of the outboard bearing (Phils) and replaced the end cap. Greased the threads on the freehub, lubed the spline interface with TriFlow and reinstalled my XO1 cassette. Just took the bike out for a short spin and it is much, much quieter than stock. I may have had an especially loud stock hub. It seemed louder than most of other I9's I met on the trail and there was relatively little lube in the freehub when I opened it up. If your hub was not as loud as mine to begin with, you may see a smaller difference when adding a bit more Freehub oil.
    It will be quiet for about a half dozen rides, then it will start getting loud again. If you use the freehub grease (Dumonde or DT Swiss) it stays quiet for longer and never seems to get as loud as stock. Mine was really loud when new. Then I lubed it with the Dumonde freehub oil with a bit of DT Swiss freehub grease mixed in, and it was essentially silent for a half dozen rides and started getting louder and louder. Then I cleaned it and lubed it with the Dumonde freehub grease, and it was silent for a long time until I did a lift-assisted bike park day and it started getting noisy again, perhaps due to the extra heat from doing downhill runs. It still isn't as loud as new, though, and I don't find it annoying.

Magically Delicious
    While these lubrication techniques are not a long term fix, they do work. And, it's so easy and quick to just pull the freehub and re-lube it. You don't have to remove the cassette either. If your objective is to just lube and quieten, just remove the end cap and the freehub with the cassette still attached. It might be a little tricky reinstalling, but not difficult with a gentle twisting motion.

Just use a straight freehub grease on the ring gear and it will last a little longer and be even quieter. I oil the pawls and use grease on the ring gear. I don't even bother removing them...little springs are too small and easy to get lost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    It will be quiet for about a half dozen rides, then it will start getting loud again. If you use the freehub grease (Dumonde or DT Swiss) it stays quiet for longer and never seems to get as loud as stock. Mine was really loud when new. Then I lubed it with the Dumonde freehub oil with a bit of DT Swiss freehub grease mixed in, and it was essentially silent for a half dozen rides and started getting louder and louder. Then I cleaned it and lubed it with the Dumonde freehub grease, and it was silent for a long time until I did a lift-assisted bike park day and it started getting noisy again, perhaps due to the extra heat from doing downhill runs. It still isn't as loud as new, though, and I don't find it annoying.
    Thanks for the warning. I will see how it goes this week. It is so much quieter right now that if it returns to only half the volume I would be more than happy. Actually, I did not do the service primarily to quiet the hub, I did it because I wanted to make sure the free hub was still adequately lubed and I had not looked at it since getting the wheels built a year ago. A somewhat less loud hub is welcome though, so I will try the grease if needed.

mtbr member
    you guys need to experiment. i have. you can get a variety of different sounds. the problem with DT grease which is thicker than slick honey by the way has to do with those little springs. it can be a bit sticky especially if you use a lot. as others have guessed it makes the pawls hang if you press it in there. a skim coat around the outside of the ring. harmless

this dumonde tech grease is actually oil. thick oil. seems like gear oil or possibly a thick pressure washer pump mineral oil. it dissolves well with slick honey so you can make even thicker oil should you wish too. it's still thinner than any grease you will find.

currently mine are quieter than a pair of 240s but you literally can experiment with how much you use to get any sound you want. grease like actual grease is indeed unnecessary as this "liquid grease oil" will quiet them to the point of a freshly greased 240. my current combo is mostly dumonde tech liquid grease with a dab of slick honey mixed in mostly for adhesion so the oil doesn't literally run out of the hub. very easy to test whatever you do use on the freehub to make sure you have no stickyness on the return springs

Magically Delicious
    Are you really referring to Dumonde tech LIQUID grease ? Or the Dumonde Grease?

Dumonde Grease is grease and Dumonde tech liquid grease is thick oil.

mtbr member

stuff i9 tells you to use when you call them

liquid grease, the thick oil

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

No, it is grease, a NGLI 00 or 000 grade. There is a difference between a thick oil and a thin grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    This is the oil that i9 recommend for normal lubing: http://amzn.to/2DrJAJ0 (Dumonde Tech PRO X Freehub Oil - 2 oz)

However, when I called i9 and told them I wanted it as quiet as possible they recommended the grease: http://amzn.to/2BO4L7n (Dumonde Tech PRO X Freehub Grease - 1 oz)

The grease is what I used in the video.
    Last edited by B1KER; 12-28-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Magically Delicious
    Just so that it's noted, Dumonde Tech markets a freehub oil, a freehub grease and they have a bearing grease they refer to as Dumonde Tech MR Grease.

The MR Grease is marketed as a bearing and suspension grease. I've never used it, but my assumption is that it's a thinner grease since it's listed as a suspension grease by Dumonde.

The freehub grease is about the consistency of Lubiplate #105 assembly lube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post

try getting the pawns out and sanding off a little on the side of the pawn that does not engage. this worked much better that using grease which causes improper engagement if uses in large quantities.

Magically Delicious
    I'm trying to understand why you're sanding the sides of the pawls?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Its no the sides its the part that touches the teeth of the hub
    Quiet the i9 Hub-screen-shot-2019-01-16-3.10.31-pm.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    try getting the pawns out and sanding off a little on the side of the pawn that does not engage.
    Ok, I will rephrase my question. Why are you sanding the pawls at all? I don't understand your objective or purpose. I'm not trolling here, just trying to understand your logic and what you're trying to achieve.

EAT MORE GRIME
    try getting the pawns out and sanding off a little on the side of the pawn that does not engage. this worked much better that using grease which causes improper engagement if uses in large quantities.
    what does this mean ? all pawls engage 50% of the time. three at any moment and the other three the next moment

bad advice to suggest modification of the i9 pawls in any way. that's how you end up breaking bike parts, and human bones.

---
    for the sake of a noisy hub...
    you want to shave down a flat surface to something a bit more concave, so the pawl engages at the points, but the rest of the pawl notch doesn't fall flush with the ring and make that 'slap' and loud click ? if you try to do any type of modification to those pawls you are introducing micro fractures and a real risk of sudden pawl failure when you are max torquing on those cranks...that can lead to [some nasty injury here]
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    This is a post by I9 from the Ibis forum. Might be germane to the topic here as well.

if you ever notice creaking in our hubs, give this a shot.

1. Remove Cassette.
    2. Remove the FH body.
    3. Apply a thin layer of waterproof grease to the exposed axle and the inside of FH bearings and spacer.
    4. Apply a healthy amount of Dumond Tech Pro X freehub grease (lasts longer and is quieter) or Dumond Tech Freehub oil to the pawl faces, pawl pivots and ID of the drivering. We use Dumond Tech in our shop as the OE lube. You can also use DT freehub grease or Chris King ringdrive grease if you don't have any of the Dumond Tech products available, but we don't recommend heavier greases or oils as they can cause the pawls to stick and potentially damage the FH body.
    5. Reinstall the FH body.
    6. Apply a thick layer of waterproof grease to the OD of the FH body and on XD cassettes to the ID of the cassette itself and torque down to recommended torque listed by cassette manufacturer - typically 350--420 inch/lbs.

Check our support page online for more disassembly tips and info.

If the above list of fixes aren't providing a solution for an acceptable service interval for you, please feel free to contact us.

The best way to reach us is phone or email. 828-210-5113 or service@industrynine.net

Thanks -

The Service Team at i9

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Ditto !

Magically Delicious
    mtbpri has departed the scene...