Quick note on tubeless tire mounting/sealing- Mtbr.com
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quick note on tubeless tire mounting/sealing

Yesterday I mounting my trusty Bonty Mud X TLR (29x2.0) on my WTB Frequency i23 rim.
    This tire has never needed sealant on Bonty TLR rims. Would lose no pressure over a month.
    Aired up and seated easily with my floor pump, but when flat quickly--twice.
    Both the tire and rim were dirty from use, so before I added sealant I removed the tire and thoroughly washed the beads of both tire and rim.
    Remounted the tire. Seated easily. Still holding the pressure 10 hours later. No sealant.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    So I gather you use tubeless ready (not UST) tires without sealant on rides too? How does that compare to using a tubed tire as far as flat frequency?

I'm curious because I am about to build my first set of tubeless wheels (WTB KOM) and was wondering if it was possible to use them with minimal or no sealant. Partly because I'm a closet ww, which makes no sense because I don't race and I'm not particularly fast, but mostly because I have a strong aversion to all that messy goo sloshing around in my wheels.

I've been using tubed tires forever and flats on the trail are a pretty rare occurrence for me so I wondered if it would be about the same deal using tubeless (ready) tires on their own?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quick note on tubeless tire mounting/sealing

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    So I gather you use tubeless ready (not UST) tires without sealant on rides too? How does that compare to using a tubed tire as far as flat frequency?

I'm curious because I am about to build my first set of tubeless wheels (WTB KOM) and was wondering if it was possible to use them with minimal or no sealant. Partly because I'm a closet ww, which makes no sense because I don't race and I'm not particularly fast, but mostly because I have a strong aversion to all that messy goo sloshing around in my wheels.

I've been using tubed tires forever and flats on the trail are a pretty rare occurrence for me so I wondered if it would be about the same deal using tubeless (ready) tires on their own?
    I use UST compatible tubeless ready tires without sealant if possible.

I always mount and pressurize tubeless tires without sealant to reduce mess and see if they will maintain the pressure. If it drops just a few psi over 24 hours I ride them dry. If not, I add sealant through the valve stem.
    Some TR tires hold air fine, some do not, even of the same brand and model. Some just need the sealant to seal the casing the first time and do not need liquid inside after that.

I rarely get flats of any sort, with any setup: tubes, tubeless--with or without sealant. Never make an extra effort to do a tubeless setup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Have the same experience with Geax TNT tires on both TCS and Velocity Blunt 35 rims. They held air for several days before any noticeable air loss. I still use a small amount of sealant for flat prevention as I don't swap tires often but otherwise they are quite ok on their own.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info- good to know.