• 02-13-2004
    mcseforsale
    Questions about ambrosio rims
    I was looking for a cheap and light wheelbuild. I saw Ambrosio's on thorusa.com. Anyone know the specs for the CC22 and CC24?

    Questions I have:

    1.) what eyelets do they have, double, single?

    2.) are they light?

    3.) any info on ERD?

    Thanks. I built a set of black/black/black l'il Snappers with GT/Hadley hubs with DT competitions, however, I have a set of Green Atak hubs sitting in a box and wanted to make an ugly pair (Ambrosios come in great colors.) :D

    Thanks
    AJ
    mcseforsale
  • 02-14-2004
    DeeEight
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mcseforsale
    I was looking for a cheap and light wheelbuild. I saw Ambrosio's on thorusa.com. Anyone know the specs for the CC22 and CC24?

    Questions I have:

    1.) what eyelets do they have, double, single?

    2.) are they light?

    3.) any info on ERD?

    CC22s and CC24s are classic old school rims. The 22s weigh about 440g each, 22mm width, similar strength to the old Mavic M231s. The 24s compare to the Mavic M261s, they're a 24mm width, can't remember the weight, think its about 460 grams. Both are
    single stainless eyelets, pinned joints

    I just got my 3D Violet annodized CC22s ($10 for a pair, ebay auction from Thorsten), yesterday. Got some 3DViolet Atak hubs also. :)
  • 02-14-2004
    fonseca
    I bought a pair of CC24s with the Durex hardcoat, which is a hard anodization supposedly, but it feels more like a baked on coating, so I don't know.

    They use INOX eyelets, which are pretty cool. Sort of a double eyelet, with one part extending all the way through the rim to the rim bed, and the the second eyelet on top and in the normal position. I don't know if that is clear or not. Anyway, not chance of losing a nipple when building, or getting water in the rim I suppose.

    I measured the ERD but don't have it handy. Haven't weighed mine yet but I have seen some reports of the CC24 weighing 450g, Thor said 500g I believe, with the CC22 weighing 460g, but the latter is supposed to be lighter.

    These look to be much higher quality than the old syncros Snapper rims. I don't have any time on them, but the Syncros rims I picked up had razor sharp edges in some spots on the wall.

    Both models are disc-specific, but it looks like the sidewall is machined before they are anodized, and the seam feels smooth, so I guess it would be okay..
  • 02-14-2004
    fonseca
    1 Attachment(s)
    Diagram showing the eyelet.
  • 02-14-2004
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fonseca
    I bought a pair of CC24s with the Durex hardcoat, which is a hard anodization supposedly, but it feels more like a baked on coating, so I don't know.

    They use INOX eyelets, which are pretty cool. Sort of a double eyelet, with one part extending all the way through the rim to the rim bed, and the the second eyelet on top and in the normal position. I don't know if that is clear or not. Anyway, not chance of losing a nipple when building, or getting water in the rim I suppose.

    I measured the ERD but don't have it handy. Haven't weighed mine yet but I have seen some reports of the CC24 weighing 450g, Thor said 500g I believe, with the CC22 weighing 460g, but the latter is supposed to be lighter.

    These look to be much higher quality than the old syncros Snapper rims. I don't have any time on them, but the Syncros rims I picked up had razor sharp edges in some spots on the wall.

    Both models are disc-specific, but it looks like the sidewall is machined before they are anodized, and the seam feels smooth, so I guess it would be okay..

    Not disc specific rims. There were no (few) disc brakes on the market when the CC22/24s were new. It was normal for the sidewalls of rims NOT to be machined. You had to wear off the anodizing before the brakes would work worth a damn in the wet.

    My CC22s came in around 420g each. Built up very easily. Very easy to mount tires on. Have not ridden them much yet.
  • 02-14-2004
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fonseca
    Diagram showing the eyelet.

    That is a double eyelet. The CC22 has single eyelets BTW.
  • 02-14-2004
    fonseca
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shiggy©®?
    Not disc specific rims. There were no (few) disc brakes on the market when the CC22/24s were new. It was normal for the sidewalls of rims NOT to be machined. You had to wear off the anodizing before the brakes would work worth a damn in the wet.

    My CC22s came in around 420g each. Built up very easily. Very easy to mount tires on. Have not ridden them much yet.

    Thanks for the info. However, this Durex coat feels more like baked-on teflon, I wouldn't want to ride these with Vees. The blue and purple ones look like normal anodization though. But maybe it wears fast.
  • 02-14-2004
    fonseca
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shiggy©®?
    That is a double eyelet. The CC22 has single eyelets BTW.

    What are the advantages of this type of eyelet? Are they any stronger?

    I've never had a problem with popping eyelets before, so if that's the main advantage it's probably overkill for me.
  • 02-14-2004
    DeeEight
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fonseca
    I bought a pair of CC24s with the Durex hardcoat, which is a hard anodization supposedly, but it feels more like a baked on coating, so I don't know.

    They use INOX eyelets, which are pretty cool. Sort of a double eyelet, with one part extending all the way through the rim to the rim bed, and the the second eyelet on top and in the normal position. I don't know if that is clear or not. Anyway, not chance of losing a nipple when building, or getting water in the rim I suppose.

    I measured the ERD but don't have it handy. Haven't weighed mine yet but I have seen some reports of the CC24 weighing 450g, Thor said 500g I believe, with the CC22 weighing 460g, but the latter is supposed to be lighter.

    These look to be much higher quality than the old syncros Snapper rims. I don't have any time on them, but the Syncros rims I picked up had razor sharp edges in some spots on the wall.

    Both models are disc-specific, but it looks like the sidewall is machined before they are anodized, and the seam feels smooth, so I guess it would be okay..

    disc specific? I hope you're refering to the syncros rims and not the ambrosio CC22/24s.

    The ERDs will be found in the sutherlands catalog. INOX just means stainless steel btw.
  • 02-14-2004
    DeeEight
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fonseca
    Thanks for the info. However, this Durex coat feels more like baked-on teflon, I wouldn't want to ride these with Vees. The blue and purple ones look like normal anodization though. But maybe it wears fast.

    It IS hard annodizing. I've dealt ambrosio rims for years. Durex is the tradename for their hard annodizing process. They work fine with rim brakes once the annodizing wears away (but when new, with scott mathauser pads they will SQUEAL like a banshee). I'm guessing you weren't riding MTBs or road bikes 10-15 years ago when hard annodizing was all the rage and nobody machined/brushed the sidewalls of rims.
  • 02-14-2004
    mcseforsale
    Thanks Dee.
    As always, very valuable stuff. I must say, after almost 20 years in the game, I hadn't heard of these before.

    Thanks again,
    AJ
    mcseforsale


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DeeEight
    disc specific? I hope you're refering to the syncros rims and not the ambrosio CC22/24s.

    The ERDs will be found in the sutherlands catalog. INOX just means stainless steel btw.

  • 02-14-2004
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fonseca
    What are the advantages of this type of eyelet? Are they any stronger?

    I've never had a problem with popping eyelets before, so if that's the main advantage it's probably overkill for me.

    Strength. Shares the stress with the inside and outside walls of the rim. Also makes it impossible to lose a nipple inside the rim during building.
  • 02-14-2004
    fonseca
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I'm guessing you weren't riding MTBs or road bikes 10-15 years ago when hard annodizing was all the rage and nobody machined/brushed the sidewalls of rims.

    Nope, I switched from BMX to MTB in '96, and used ceramic rims almost exclusively until I switched to disc. I have never ridden road (except when I lived in Germany and had no choice) and don't ever intend to.