mtbr member

Question Re DT Swiss Hub (250/350): Spacer inside ratchet frozen on axle

Trying to clean things up, removed in this order from my Roval Control SL SCS wheels:

1) endcap
    2) XD driver
    3) spring
    4) 2-piece ratchet
    5) spring
    5) spacer (a short sleeve about 1.5 cm long)

The spacer was easily finger removed but when I tried to re-insert it, the spacer was a tight fit and I could only fit it over the axle using a mallet to slide it on toward the hub bearings. Even made some scratches on the axle. The spacer was cleaned and lubed on the inside with Phil's before re-fitting.

Re-installed, the spacer now seems to be pretty much frozen on the axle, but installed all the way to contact the outside drive-side bearing in the hub. Will this be a problem?

I have absolutely no idea why it was so easy to remove but so darn hard to put on...I had a bunch of pieces lying around the floor and I'm thinking that maybe I accidentally stepped on the spacer, although it looked perfectly round.

Would appreciate any helpful comments regarding spacer frozen onto the axle.

Question Re DT Swiss Hub (250/350): Spacer inside ratchet frozen on axle-inked3124896499_51e240d32c_o_li.jpg

Thanks!
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Sounds like its out of round. I had to replace the axle once because it was a little bent but wasnt something i can see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Sounds like its out of round. I had to replace the axle once because it was a little bent but wasnt something i can see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You’re fuged. Should have hidden the mallet, if it wasnt needed to remove, it shouldnt be used to install! Actually itll prob work ok, youll just run into problems next time you need to take it apart. Yup the spacer is prob out of round, or got a burr on edge. When parts are machined to tight tolerances, it can look ok but still not go together right. You might have to push the axle out the other side to get it apart, and in so doing will create more scratches. Upu coild attempt to smooth it out after, but since youll be ordering a new spacer, might as well order a new axle too. Welcome to the hamfist mechanic club, i think weve all done it at one time or another. Remember, if it came apart by hand, it goes together by hand.

mtbr member
    For some stupid reason, I was hoping that if I mallet it in just one more inch, it'll slide the rest of the way in. Hahaha. It's one of those days where you think that things will just take an hour for this and that, and next thing you know, you're two hours in and only half way done. I was freezing my arse off, too, in the garage. Need to set up a proper work space....Much thanks for your comments!
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT