QR and 12mm axle compatibility- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

QR and 12mm axle compatibility

The time is coming for me to replace the worn out drivetrain on my XC bike and I have been considering converting the existing 3x9 Shimano XT setup to 1x12. NX Eagle seems like the obvious choice, but lacks 10 teeth on the lower end plus will add more weight to the bike (compared to the current setup), which is not desired. Now, here is the question - I have a carbon frame with QR dropouts, but all the hubs/wheels that are compatible with XD or micro spline drivers seem to be 12mm through axle.. is there a way to adapt an older frame to the 12 mm axle format? Will appreciate any advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Non-boost Wheels can be converted to QR with adapters if the hub manufacture makes them. All the big players have adapters.

Nope on converting frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

QR and 12mm axle compatibility

you could also search for an axle adapter, just a tube with 12mm OD (to fit the wheel), 9mm stubs (to fit your QR dropout), and 5mm ID (to fit the QR skewer)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post
    you could also search for an axle adapter, just a tube with 12mm OD (to fit the wheel), 9mm stubs (to fit your QR dropout), and 5mm ID (to fit the QR skewer)
    Might work assuming you wanted to use some OEM thru axle wheels with no manufacturer-supported conversion on a qr frame, but meh.

Most decent wheels have a way to convert between QR and thru axle easily enough. You don't see them for sale at dealers because it's not a big seller. But brands like DT Swiss, Industry Nine, and others with swappable end caps can do this no problem. I'm going to bet that this is for one of the newer crop of 141qr frames. There IS a lack of midlevel hub support for this standard (namely, axle conversion kits for hubs better than OEM that do not use a swappable end cap system).

To keep price most reasonable, DT Swiss is probably going to be the best brand to be looking at.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by synaptin View Post
    The time is coming for me to replace the worn out drivetrain on my XC bike and I have been considering converting the existing 3x9 Shimano XT setup to 1x12. NX Eagle seems like the obvious choice, but lacks 10 teeth on the lower end plus will add more weight to the bike (compared to the current setup), which is not desired. Now, here is the question - I have a carbon frame with QR dropouts, but all the hubs/wheels that are compatible with XD or micro spline drivers seem to be 12mm through axle.. is there a way to adapt an older frame to the 12 mm axle format? Will appreciate any advice!
    Is the frame 135 or 142 dropouts? Are you replacing wheelset or just cassette? If not DT Swiss makes a 10mm thruaxle skewer that works on regular dropout frames. Stiffens things up abit.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....