Proper wheel selection?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Proper wheel selection?

I'm looking to purchase a wheel set, but it's not an immediate need. I'm wanting to really build up my riding skill and progressively tackle larger obstacles (e.g. gaps, drops, jumps, and more downhill oriented stuff). I've been riding the local intermediate trails and feel confident on them. I've always been a little rough on my wheels regardless if it's 20" dirt, street, or mountain biking.

I know proper landing and technique is key, but sometimes that's not possible (typically due to bad launch or miscalculation ). Anyway, I'm attempting to find a wheel set that's lighter than the OE ones I have (which feel fairly soft to me and aren't currently true), and higher quality. I'm not opposed to going the component route and having someone build them up as long as it's around $700-$800.

I've never ridden a hub with more engagement points such as I9, King, and Hope, but from what I've read it sounds really nice and if that can be worked in great, if not no biggie. One thing I am really striving for is white rims. I know that may seem superficial and trivial to some, but I want 'em.

Current set: Bontrager Ranger Rims with Shimano M495 hubs (With tube tire and all ~1725g front, ~2230g rear)

Sets I've looked at:

Gravity Light - Downhill: 2300g front+rear
    DTSwiss EX1750: 835g front, 925g rear (these are more enduro, but I've seen quite a few free ride and downhill looking setups using these)
    Syncros AM: 935g front, 1066g rear

Any suggestions?

Former Bike Wrench
    Look at a hand built wheel like from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, here is a suggestion

Mavic EN721 Rims
    DT Competition 14/15 Black Spokes
    DT Black Brass Nipples
    BWW XM375 Rear Hub (steel FH Body allows for use with current cassette)
    BWW Pure XCR 20-15-9 Front Hub (allows you to upgrade to thru axle fork in the future)
    BWW Rim Strips

Total Cost $401.98 plus shipping
    Weight ~2170g total

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.../prod_183.html

Members who have read this thread: 0