Presta Valve vs. Schrader- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Presta Valve vs. Schrader

I know that this is a question that many of us have asked, but I have been having problems with my presta valve tubes such as, breakng at the stem, or the top bead coming off while pumping. I have been running prestas for about three years but am wondering if it's time for a change.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by videl_majin_cold45
    I know that this is a question that many of us have asked, but I have been having problems with my presta valve tubes such as, breakng at the stem, or the top bead coming off while pumping. I have been running prestas for about three years but am wondering if it's time for a change.
    I don't know if its time for change of the actual type of valve you use. I love presta, they are much easier to work with than schrader valves. Maybe look into a different brand of tube. I use IRC Torque tubes, I got them from Price Point, 5 for like 8 bucks or something. I haven't had a problem with them yet.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Time to have somebody show you how to use a pump on a presta valve.

I have damaged just 2-3 presta valves while inflating in 25+ years of using them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    you can easily drill your rim out. i believe i have used 11/32 drill bit...

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    you can easily drill your rim out. i believe i have used 11/32 drill bit...

If you already have a shrader hole in your wheel can you change to a presta since the hole is already big?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonsmasher
    If you already have a shrader hole in your wheel can you change to a presta since the hole is already big?
    Yeah, you can. Most online retailers sell a little metal adapter for like $2-3 that fills in the surrounding hole so that a presta fits with no play.

mtbr member
    Does the presta valve tube able to retain air for a longer period compare to the normal schrader valve?

Or are they just the same?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In my life keeping air in the tires, has a lot more to do with rocks, cuts, tears, pinch flats, and permeation, than the valve stem.

Jul 2006

Low maintenance = more riding

I don't see the charm in presta valves. They're more maintenance and more complicated which means more things can go wrong. I had a friend ask my why i was still running the "old schrader" type valves. I didn't know what to say. So, to be equal to my mtn. biking contemporaries I bought a couple presta tubes. Well, being a presta newb I had 2 fall apart at the stem when I tightened down the lock nut too tightly. I learn my lesson and moved on. But then you have to screw and unscrew the valve and so on and so forth..just doesn't seem worth the aggravation. And the weight difference? Hardly seems worth even considering.

Can anyone make a case for presta valves for me??

thx!

ride on!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NE_fsrxc

thx!

ride on!!!
    nope

i drill all my rims for schraders...except my road bikes.

Mar 2007
    I run one of each and have no problems with either, yeah sure you have to press your thumb on the tire to get the pump onto the schrader valve, so I suppose that's equivalent to having to unscrew the presta. That applies to a very flat tire of course.

The only real disadvantage with presta valves is that it's alot harder to put slime in the tube and consequently harder to top it up when the time comes - slime being a necessity where I live due to a multitude of goat head thorns.

Before sliming my tires a brought a bunch of light weight maxxis brand presta tubes, oh about 5 of them are sitting in the cupboard waiting to be patched up, and seriously thinking about going back to full schrader set up.

Oh yeah the other disadvantage of presta valves is that a normal pressure gauge doesn't work even with an adapter!
    Something like the Topeak Digital Smart Head gauge does work for both presta & schrader and works well although I find it always gets a bit stuck on the presta head & I have to really pull to get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by NE_fsrxc
    I don't see the charm in presta valves. They're more maintenance and more complicated which means more things can go wrong. I had a friend ask my why i was still running the "old schrader" type valves. I didn't know what to say. So, to be equal to my mtn. biking contemporaries I bought a couple presta tubes. Well, being a presta newb I had 2 fall apart at the stem when I tightened down the lock nut too tightly. I learn my lesson and moved on. But then you have to screw and unscrew the valve and so on and so forth..just doesn't seem worth the aggravation. And the weight difference? Hardly seems worth even considering.

thx!

ride on!!!
    I find presta valves to be simple and easy to use. Never needed to perform any maintenance on a presta valve and they are actually simpler than schraders. Easier to inflate, install, deflate. I am installing schrader tubes at work and they are a PITA.

If by "lock nut" you mean the one that can be tightened against the rim, do not use it. Not needed (except it can help inflating a stiff tire to prevent the valve from pushing into the rim) and should not be tightened much if it is used--can cause damage while riding.

If you mean the nut that seals the valve, only needs to be tightened lightly.

Bottom line--use the valve you are comfortable with.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I finally converted my bikes to schrader because I want to deal with only one type of valve for all of my tires (auto, motorcycle and bicycle).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like presta because they are quicker to inflate and deflate. If you are a racer, that can be a big plus when seconds matter if you get a flat.

And here is something nobody mentioned:

How about that little nut on Presta valves? Sure does make it easy to press a pump on that thing huh? With a schrader its a bit more difficult (not hard by any means, but this thread is all about splitting hairs) to fit that pump head on there without pushing the antire valvin in the rim.

Then of course there is the fact that a smaller hole int he rim means a stronger rim!!!!! Now, I dont consider this splitting hairs because i have seen many rims cracked at the valve hole. Most of them were schrader valve rims.

So we have the fact that its a bit easier to pump up a schrader valve, and the fact that presta valve rims are a bit stronger. Id say that enough reason for me to keep my presta.

Mar 2007
    Only problem with the strength point is that some rims come drilled out for schrader and have inserts to accommodate presta (like my Mavic XM117). Such set ups obviously forfeit the strength benefit.

The little nut certainly makes life easier, but I did read that a certain brand of schrader tubes also comes in that sort of design, never seen them myself in person though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbhermit
    ...The little nut certainly makes life easier, but I did read that a certain brand of schrader tubes also comes in that sort of design, never seen them myself in person though.
    I have a couple of different brands. Both are 400+g DH tubes.
    mtbtires.com

A wheelist
    I'm into my fifth decade (not years) of presta valve use and have not had one of the problems you've had. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yesterday I pumped up the schraeder valved tire on my wheelbarrow and it reminded me why those valves should stay on wheelbarrows - they take twice the effort to inflate.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Yesterday I pumped up the schraeder valved tire on my wheelbarrow and it reminded me why those valves should stay on wheelbarrows - they take twice the effort to inflate.

You mean wheelbarrows take double the effort to inflate than a MTB tyre?
    Or that the Schrader makes it more difficult to inflate?

'Cos I can't feel any difference between valves given the same tube/wheel/pump.....

Agreed with one of the first posts by shiggy... Use the one you're comfortable with. That's a Schrader for me. But I've used Presta and I couldn't care less for one or the other. I just happen to prefer Shcraders for the silly reason that I can use my bike pump on my car (a cheapo floor one)... and it allows me to use car sealant on my MTB's if need arises.
    Check my Site

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You mean wheelbarrows take double the effort to inflate than a MTB tyre?
    Yeah, than my mtb tires - they're Presta equipped.

Or that the Schrader makes it more difficult to inflate?
    Yep you got it.

'Cos I can't feel any difference between valves given the same tube/wheel/pump.
    I guess you're not as sensitive as me as I can tell the difference.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I guess you're not as sensitive as me as I can tell the difference.
    You're not being serious, Mike... are you?

Oh, well... I'm not that sensitive, I think.
    Check my Site

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You're not being serious, Mike... are you?
    Sure I'm serious. I just inflated two schraeder valved tires on a utility bike (of a friend) that I just tuned this evening. They are harder to inflate than my own (Presta) mtb tires. It's been mentioned by others too in previous Schraeder/Presta/Boxers/Briefs "discussions" that we've had in the past.

When inflating a Schrader valved tube, spring pressure has to be overcome - howerver slight it might seem.

Oh by the way, putting a whiff of air into a tube prior to insertion into the tire makes the job much easier - doing it by mouth is the very quick way, especially in a race situation. Ya can't do that with a schraeder valve.

mtbr member
    I have noticed that the quality of a presta valve along with the quality of the pump and valve you use on a presta valve really seem to make a difference. I used a generic brand x presta tube once and had the hardest time. Put in a more pricier amd supposedly higher quality Specialized presta tube and had no problems inflating the tube/tire. Used a presta adaptor on a cheap schraeder type pump and had difficulty inflating a presta tube. Pumps whose rubber seals in the valve head are worn will leak air from the valve when you try and pump a presta tube.

Seems like presta valves work well for those who can afford the best tubes, pumps, etc. Schrader valves seem to inflate no matter what pump you use. Granted a bad schraeder tube will not work well, but I have had better experiences with more brands of schraeder tubes vs. Presta tubes. Presta tubes seem to be high maintenance.

Kinda like girls: pretty, snobby and high maintenance vs. the simple looking yet very dependable girl. Which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gflash
    ...Seems like presta valves work well for those who can afford the best tubes, pumps, etc. Schrader valves seem to inflate no matter what pump you use. Granted a bad schraeder tube will not work well, but I have had better experiences with more brands of schraeder tubes vs. Presta tubes. Presta tubes seem to be high maintenance.

Kinda like girls: pretty, snobby and high maintenance vs. the simple looking yet very dependable girl. Which do you prefer?
    The simple, pretty and dependable presta. For me the valves on the $3 tubes work just the same as the valves on the $12 tubes.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0