Presta Valve Caps and Nut- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Presta Valve Caps and Nut

Hey folks!

I know there is a lot of debate out there on Presta value caps (are they necessary, etc), but I love them and use them on all of my bikes.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend where one can go to buy a bulk supply of plastic presta valve caps? I bought a bunch before (multi coloured) on Amazon but I can no longer source the seller. I see lots of aluminum ones on ebay and a couple of plastic ones, but they seem super expensive. Anyway, looking for a source for a bulk order of plastic multicolor presta caps if anyone can suggest.

Also, looking for some of the presta lock nut that secures it close to the rim. Anyone know a source to buy these?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I picked up my bike from a shop in San Diego and the Presta caps were missing. I was surprised because it’s my bike and my stuff. So I asked about it and one of the mechanics said “they aren’t needed.”

So I asked him why they are still on every @#$%^&* new bike you are selling in your @#$%^&*!@#$%%^ shop?

So he went back and found some and handed them to me.

I then drove to a favorite diner, sat at the counter, and “enjoyed my coffee.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would go to a bike shop and ask, there's a good chance that they might hook you up with a few dozen of them for free or cheap. I personally don't use them and when I worked at shops most of the mechanics benches had a jar full on them.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I used to never use them until a twig caught the top and broke the end off. Now I always use them.

Any shop usually has them laying around for free, like JB said.

damned rocks...
    I always use them because I don't want dirt to cause the valve to not seal properly.
    Imagine the valve stem covered in mud, imagine you had one too many puncture on your tubeless tires and need to inflate the tire, imagine how the valve stem and core covered in mud will make your job easier .
    I got a pack of 10 made of aluminum for one or two euros couple years back.
    Last edited by Aglo; 1 Week Ago at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiltonHuggles View Post
    Hey folks!

I know there is a lot of debate out there on Presta value caps (are they necessary, etc), but I love them and use them on all of my bikes.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend where one can go to buy a bulk supply of plastic presta valve caps? I bought a bunch before (multi coloured) on Amazon but I can no longer source the seller. I see lots of aluminum ones on ebay and a couple of plastic ones, but they seem super expensive. Anyway, looking for a source for a bulk order of plastic multicolor presta caps if anyone can suggest.

Also, looking for some of the presta lock nut that secures it close to the rim. Anyone know a source to buy these?

Thanks!
    https://www.ebay.com/i/202048720056?...b2ccb9ffad01d7

Or just ask every bike shop in your area if you can have a few that are lying around, you should end up with a handful.
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    I'll start using them if I ever have a problem not using them but in 10 years of riding I've not had one issue.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I use them only on my mtbs to prevent twigs/branches (prevalent in my riding area) frame breaking or bending the poppet. For the fashion conscious, transparent caps (Specialized) are less conspicuous.
    Do the math.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I don't have a problem with the aluminum ones...add a TINY amount of grease to the inner threads to keep 'em moving freely.

These are still overpriced and I think just getting 'em at a shop as suggested above is best, but here are some on amazon if ebay's not your thing and you wanna do matchy matchy colors.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prest.../dp/B07DP7KFZ9

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I picked up from my LBS (free of charge) an Enve and an E*13 valve cap, both with a built in valve core tool. Those are worth asking for.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I picked up from my LBS (free of charge) an Enve and an E*13 valve cap, both with a built in valve core tool. Those are worth asking for.
    I put some e13 valves on my new Pedalhead build and that cap w/core remover tool is handy.

But yeah, I didn't use caps on my presta valves for awhile...until I bent a bunch of the poppets on my presta valves. So now I use caps. I think they're breeding in my shop because there always seems to be one available if I lose one. I really don't want to lose the e13 one with the core remover, though.

Downcountry AF

Wait wait wait, there's a big controversy about valve caps and I didn't know about it? I though I was up to speed on all the latest hot topics.

Picard, I thought you were supposed to ask the hard hitting questions. I think you just got one-upped by mr. Huggles.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I put some e13 valves on my new Pedalhead build and that cap w/core remover tool is handy.

But yeah, I didn't use caps on my presta valves for awhile...until I bent a bunch of the poppets on my presta valves. So now I use caps. I think they're breeding in my shop because there always seems to be one available if I lose one. I really don't want to lose the e13 one with the core remover, though.
    Those poppets get bent on mine from pumping. No matter how careful I am...

damned rocks...
    You can avoid that if you carry a pump with a flexible hose. You will not be damaging the poppet and the pumping is so much easier.
    If you don't want to buy a new pump you can just buy the flexible hose and carry it with the pump.

mtbr member

Is it possible for them to get bent when they're screwed down? I can't imagine how.

I worked in shops half my life and never knew what those thingies were called until today
    I brake for stinkbugs

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I picked up my bike from a shop in San Diego and the Presta caps were missing. I was surprised because it’s my bike and my stuff. So I asked about it and one of the mechanics said “they aren’t needed.”

So I asked him why they are still on every @#$%^&* new bike you are selling in your @#$%^&*!@#$%%^ shop?

So he went back and found some and handed them to me.

I then drove to a favorite diner, sat at the counter, and “enjoyed my coffee.”

Blew a gasket, love it,

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Wait wait wait, there's a big controversy about valve caps and I didn't know about it? I though I was up to speed on all the latest hot topics.

Picard, I thought you were supposed to ask the hard hitting questions. I think you just got one-upped by mr. Huggles.
    Hot Topic!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Is it possible for them to get bent when they're screwed down? I can't imagine how.

I worked in shops half my life and never knew what those thingies were called until today

Boastful about lack of imagination and ignorance. Should run for pres?
    Do the math.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

I’ve used them on and off over the years and yes I agree they do help in preventing the poppets [as you call them] from getting bent. . Not very often, but I have bent a few. So strange not knowing how they got bent.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Boastful about lack of imagination and ignorance. Should run for pres?

ok I guess I'm ignorant so clue me in, what the heck are you talking about? It's an honest question. And who's boasting?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I don't have a problem with the aluminum ones...add a TINY amount of grease to the inner threads to keep 'em moving freely.

These are still overpriced and I think just getting 'em at a shop as suggested above is best, but here are some on amazon if ebay's not your thing and you wanna do matchy matchy colors.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prest.../dp/B07DP7KFZ9
    Why do the aluminum caps require a coat of grease?
    I know you said
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    to keep 'em moving freely.
    but I'm not sure why they wouldn't move freely without the grease.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

I've got one bent one in all the tubes/tubeless wheels I've aired up. I think I was rushing through airing up the tire one day, either put it on quickly or during removal. But yeah, only the one for me. Still works, its been on the bike for a few years.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

I bend them when they are unscrewed, with my floor pump, which is a very good quality pump. In fact, I have two very good quality floor pumps. When I have to pull the lever on the head of the pump up 90 degrees to secure the head of the pump on the valve, that's when I bend them. At least, that's what I think. I still use them indefinitely and they function fine. Just a little bent.

mtbr member
    I bend them when they are unscrewed, with my floor pump, which is a very good quality pump. In fact, I have two very good quality floor pumps. When I have to pull the lever on the head of the pump up 90 degrees to secure the head of the pump on the valve, that's when I bend them. At least, that's what I think. I still use them indefinitely and they function fine. Just a little bent.

Yeah I've bent dozens of them that way, it's pretty easy to do. Seems like you'd need a pair of pliers to bend one is when it's screwed down though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    I know you say it's a quality pump...but it has a significant flaw. I have the same kind of pump-head on one of mine and that's just a crappy design, no way around it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You can buy a bag of these on eBay for the price of a wet fart.

I always fit caps and think it's obtuse not to. Just seepage from wanker roadies who will do anything to be contrary and look like rebels. Which is pretty difficult when you're dressed like link sausage.

mtbr member
    They are used to prevent damaging the tube when rolled up as to not poke a hole. Install the tube and toss the cap. Not needed and can cause issues. Use em if you want but are a useless pos. Oh, and pros toss too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

I always fit caps and think it's obtuse not to. Just seepage from wanker roadies who will do anything to be contrary and look like rebels. Which is pretty difficult when you're dressed like link sausage.

Tell us how you really feel Pig. I omit them because I'm lazy and ime it just doesn't matter.

Also to save .01 grams of rotating weight of course. Duh.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    They are used to prevent damaging the tube when rolled up as to not poke a hole. Install the tube and toss the cap. Not needed and can cause issues. Use em if you want but are a useless pos. Oh, and pros toss too.
    If it's cold (below freezing) with moisture present, this could backfire big time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Well I no longer ride in freezing temps but when I did, never had an issue. There is one time a cap would have helped. I rode my Farley to a MSU Football game. When I came out of the Stadium, a collage gal had her foot resting on the chain stay and her foot hit the valve that was not screwed down all the way. Let out the air and coming from the Stadium, I had no inflation options so I walked two miles. At least I got a hug from the offender. Any if freezing allowed air to escape, I would have two inflation options available to me plus, I could just start walking. That is not the end of my world however. I once had four flats in one ride that consumed all my options and I walked some that day too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;14053576] Blew a gasket, love it,

I was exaggerating my tone but it actually happened and I was more astonished than anything, and then I felt that “this is mine/territory” surge, and insisted that he give me back my presta caps.

I wanted to go Walter Sobchak, but the shop was overall a good shop, and the head mechanics were outstanding, so thankfully I didn’t spoil the relationship.

But had similar encounter with the “turf/territory” response while driving over the weekend. I thought the driver in front of me was waving me to go around them after they slammed on their brakes. So I proceeded to go around them using the middle lane which was the left turn lane for both directions of street traffic. it was clear for about 3/4 mile, figured, no problem, going around.

But when I go to pass, the same driver who waved me to go around floors her car and wouldn’t let me pass. It was insane. I didn’t understand what was happening but figured I’d rather be in front of this driver than behind. There was a car in front of her up ahead so I passed that car and then the crazy lady just stayed put.

I pull up to a red light and my wife says “what was that about?” I said “no idea.” Then the crazy lady pulls up right behind me and is waving an iPhone in the window, i suppose to indicate that she is filming me? Light turns green and I keep going and she starts following me, waving the phone in the window, but eventually she turned into a shopping plaza.

I finally figured out that the first wave she gave me when she slammed on her brakes was some sort of spiteful warning. i was nowhere close to her car, and we had just started moving from a red light. But she must have felt like her space was being invaded. Crazy thinking about it because now, because at the time I was thinking “thanks for the wave, I’ll go around, no problem”. And then it was like death race-on.

She was a middle aged lady driving a really nice Mercedes, and it reminded me of the study done around 2012-2013 associating wealth with rude driving. It was a fun study, and supposedly the worst/rudest drivers were BMW, Mercedes, Audi owners, but even Prius owners were in the top 10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    This made me laugh!

I did find some on ebay, but I expected them to be much cheaper. $5usd for 14 of these plastic caps? If anyone can source them cheaper (on ebay), send me a link?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Seems I've have hit a few nerves starting this post...

As I said in my Original Post, I still use the plastic caps and the screw/nut at the base of the value on the rim, and was looking to source both of these for cheap (hopefully), outside of asking my LBS, which I have

damned rocks...
    Check here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202461773422

Weird enough, aluminum caps seems to be cheaper than plastic ones .

mtbr member
    ...was looking to source both of these for cheap (hopefully), outside of asking my LBS, which I have

And they had none? Every time they change a tube they end up with one of each, guess they must just toss them.
    I brake for stinkbugs