presta valve?- Mtbr.com

Thread: presta valve?

mtbr member

presta valve?

Hey,

so my order came today from pricepoint...i got a number of things, new computer, bag, etc...but i ordered 2 new tubes, cause they were cheap....so i figured id stick to schreader valves cause i know what they are and stuff...

HOwever...pricepoint decided to send my presta valves instead...

this isnt a huge problem, my pump is capable of automatically fitting both types. i just am confused...are prestas newer/better?? or is it just a different system for the same goal/..?

thanks..

A wheelist
    Heeeeeere we go again. This gets argued/discussed monthly (weekly) ad nauseum. Try the search function.

mtbr member
    i dont want to start an arguement...i just wondered about the differences in terms of riding....

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    i dont want to start an arguement...i just wondered about the differences in terms of riding....
    It's all in the archives. Over & over & over.

Difference in riding? You'll never notice what valve you have.

mtbr member
    heh, alright...ill forget i ever asked

A wheelist
    Is it so hard to put "presta" into the search function? You'll have sooo much fun.

Old man on a bike
    If you have schrader drilled rims you might want to get an insert for your presta valved tubes...http://store.icyclesusa.com/shared/S...rce=googlebase

Like Mike T sez otherwise...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    bah, a grommet for filling a tiny hole, what a pain in my ass... curse you pricepoint..

oh and btw mike, i did look up presta in the search function, which is why i decided to say "ill forget i ever asked" because like most things around here...if you ask a simple question regarding the differences between something, you open up the forum to all the ****ing retards who want to turn every thread into a flame off...and inevitably people will forget the orignal question and start arguing about stupid ****.... ie. if you search "presta vs shrader" you get a glorius post that turned into a debate over wal-mart clothing and france, insterad of the orignal post...

but anyways.... thanks for the help guys...hopefully i dont have to get a stupid pulg for my rims...

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    bah, a grommet for filling a tiny hole, what a pain in my ass... curse you pricepoint..............hopefully i dont have to get a stupid pulg for my rims...
    And I went for years with Schrader drilled rims, Presta valves and NO plugs - without problem. Go figure.

Old man on a bike
    I said might. Depends on how you deal with the presta valved tubes...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    And I went for years with Schrader drilled rims, Presta valves and NO plugs - without problem. Go figure.
    Why deliberately use a presta tube with a schrader drilled rim without an insert? Is it the price of a new tube/insert or the labor required to swap the tube?
    Nature has always had more force than education. - Voltaire

~Disc~Golf~
    I use a schrader valve w/ a presta drilled rim -
    It just takes a vice, a ball-peen hammer, a come-along strap, some screwdrivers, 1/2 a hacksaw, and some elbow grease and it's good to go!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippingdale
    Why deliberately use a presta tube with a schrader drilled rim without an insert?
    I knew it would work fine and it did. There was no need to save time or money but no need to spend any unnecessarily either.

mtbr member
    I've been using a presta tube in a schrader drilled rim for a few months with no problems. I see no reason to buy an insert. If something happens to it then I'll put a schrader tube in it's place, unless I don't have any laying around, then it'll be another presta tube.

However, if I ordered schrader and was sent presta I'd probably make a stink about it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I knew it would work fine and it did. There was no need to save time or money but no need to spend any unnecessarily either.
    That's logical.

k1lluaA,
    Just get an insert and call it a day. It's a simple solution and it reduces the possibility of a problem.
    Nature has always had more force than education. - Voltaire

Dirt Deviant
    I'd just shoot pricepoint a nice polite email.
    They'll prolly just send you the correct tubes and tell you to keep the prestas. I bet.
    they have great CS, and I have delt with them several times.

Members who have read this thread: 0