mtbr member

Plus tires weight vs rolling resistance

Iíve recently got a size small Surly Karate Monkey frameset that Iím building up as a singlespeed 27.5+ bike, rigid for now until I have money for a fork. I canít decide which tires to put on it!

A little about me and where I ride:

Iím 5í7Ē about 155 pounds, maybe add 10-20 pounds with riding gear.

I live and ride in Houston, TX. Our trails are mostly hardpack with a bit of sand and loose over hard here and there. I also ride in the hill country on occasion which has loose rock and limestone ledges, but I have another bike for that if I donít feel up to taking the Karate Monkey out there.

I donít ride super aggressive but Iím an experienced rider. I rarely experience flats or tire damage unless itís just bad luck (knock on wood).

Iím planning on building the wheels with WTB Scraper i40 rims, and I would like to stick with 3.0Ē tires to get the full plus experience, for fun. I wouldnít be opposed to 2.8Ē tires if Iím running a 120mm fork which will raise the BB a bit. Only thing is Iíve read a lot of 2.8Ē tires donít measure up to size and I already have a 27.5 x 2.6Ē geared hardtail.

Back to the tire choice. Trying to stick to 3.0Ē wide, my top choices so far are:

Dual Rocket Ron
    Dual WTB Ranger
    Purgatory front, Ground Control rear
    Dual Ground Control
    High Roller II front, Chronicle 3.0 rear

I like the idea of the Rocket Ron as itís light and fast but Iím a little bit worried about durability. Same goes with the Ranger in the light casing. I hear it wears fast as a rear tire for some and the tough casing is super heavy.

So itís the whole debate about weight vs rolling speed. Will I notice the weight a lot or will I get used to it? Help me out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    I ride a Krampus with a 3" rear tire and a 3 1/4" front and the bike is fast. My fat ass is the limiting factor, not the tires.

One of my buddies who I'm sure will see this thread and chime in is building a b+ Karate Monkey for his girlfriend. I know he's going to run a 2.8 Rocket Ron in the rear and something 3" up front. I'll be building up the wheels for it with 40mm Raceface Arcs.

I have another friend who rides a ss Jones with 3.25" Vee Bulldozers front and rear. I can't even keep up with him on my Krampus. Plus tires are not limiting him.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have a Karate Monkey and I'm currently running the stock tires, but going to go to 2.8" Rekon rear and Minion front when my tires wear out. 140 fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I ride a Krampus with a 3" rear tire and a 3 1/4" front and the bike is fast. My fat ass is the limiting factor, not the tires.

One of my buddies who I'm sure will see this thread and chime in is building a b+ Karate Monkey for his girlfriend. I know he's going to run a 2.8 Rocket Ron in the rear and something 3" up front. I'll be building up the wheels for it with 40mm Raceface Arcs.

I have another friend who rides a ss Jones with 3.25" Vee Bulldozers front and rear. I can't even keep up with him on my Krampus. Plus tires are not limiting him.
    When you mentioned the Vee Bulldozer I looked it up and it looks like a great option in both 2.8 and 3.0! Itís between the Rocket Ron, Ranger and Ground Control in weight but I dunno about rolling resistance. Anyway, these Iíve just mentioned are now my top contenders.

mtbr member
    To answer your original question, no just because one tyre is heavier than another, does not mean it will roll slower, tread design and compound all play a bigger part. Where you will/might notice the difference is when climbing or accelerating from a stand still or in slow speed situations, where rotational weight does come into play.

I'd say that for the trail conditions you're mentioning, that a 3" is definitely the way to go, unfortunately telling you exactly which tyre combo will work for you is next to impossible unfortunately, but we can give suggestions of riding on similar terrain ourselves. From my experience with the Chronicle and HR2 in only 2.3" size, I'm going to say that this combo will be your slower rolling, fastest rolling would be the RR combo from my experience (again sadly only with regular size RR), I'd prob go for them and do the SpeedGrip for the front and Speed for the rear, although being that you'll be using this SS, having a bit more grip for standing climbs in the rear might not be a bad idea.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Snakeskin carcass is plenty strong for what you're describing. I'd go with Rocket Ron rear and Nobby Nic front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Snakeskin carcass is plenty strong for what you're describing. I'd go with Rocket Ron rear and Nobby Nic front.
    Stuck between Rocket Ron and Ranger. Iíve heard mixed reviews about the 3.0 NN due to the cornering knobs being so widely spaced.

Also to the other poster above, they only make the Rocket Ron 3.0 in one compound now which is the Snakeskin Addix Speedgrip, which is what I have on my other bike in a NN 2.6 and I like it.

mtbr member
    Most of the guys I ride with on plus tires ride 29+ with XR2 3.0. These are the old Chupacabras. Not cheap, but effective. I have set of WTB Rangers and they are ok. Cheaper and wear faster. I have these since they came on used wheelset I bought. Once these are done I will get XR2. Chronicals are not well reguarded here. Riders have tried them and moved on. If someone is trying plus and shows up with those most feel sorry for them. The tire is letting the platform down. Heavy, fast wearing and poor feel.

This for riding in the Arizona desert. I have not checked on XR2 in 27.5 x 2.8 or 3.0.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Iíve heard great things about the Chupacabra 29 x 3.0 but Iíve heard the 27.5 x 2.8 version doesnít hold up well. I dunno why that would be, and it was a forum post by a bike shop that had a lot of complaints of flats with them.

mtbpete
    There is another factor you are not considering and it is handling. A bigger tire will float over roots and rocks that smaller tires may get stuck in. Another pound of weight is not going to make much difference in your speed, but it may make riding technical terrain easier. Of course if you go from a knobby skinny tire to a low-tread fatter tire you're likely going to loose handling in loose and wet terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ditch the Chronicle from you list unless you're going to stick to sidewalks.
    I'd move the HRII to the back and put a Terrene Chunk on the front. In fact that's exactly what I'm running now both in 3.0. If you get Purgs get the Grid casings.
    Devinci Marshall Carbon 27.5+

Colorado Springs, CO