mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New question here. Please help me verify my wheel + tyre purchases' compatibility

Hello, my rear wheel rim breaks all my inner tubes, so I need to replace it. Here is my shopping list:

1. new rear wheel
    2. new rear winter tyre
    3. new front winter tyre
    4. inner tubes

Here is a photo album of my 26" Focus MTB: https://imgur.com/a/3p2aOQL . I hope you guys can see the required specs from the photos. If not, please advice me if I should take new photos, and what kind.

I was thinking of getting the following stuff. Please tell me if they fit each other and my bike:

1. Rear wheel 26 X 1.90 Shimano Deore 8/9 Black
    2. Suomi Tyres W240 47-559 spike-tyres
    3. Suomi Tyres W240 47-559 spike-tyres
    4. Continental MTB 26 Downhill inner tube AV 40 Mm , black (2019) (x2)

I come from the computer world, so please excuse my newbie-questions

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    Check your rim tape for exposed spoke holes that can cut/puncture your tubes. light dusting of talc or baby powder in the tire will help find any puncture causing debris loose or stuck in the tire.

I would sort your current wheels, the lizards have enough of your money.

Good luck.

the discerning hooligan
    Have you kept any of the punctured tubes? One can find the point of failure and check the wheel in the specific place where the puncture occurred. Multiple tubes with punctures at the same spot indicates a probable problem with the wheel. Two punctures side by side, a "snake-bike" flat, on the tube will indicate that you need to run higher pressure...the wheel is probably fine.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

the discerning hooligan
    Also, glancing at your pictures, it's not obvious if your current wheel has a 6 bolt disc or center-loc. You might want to confirm that before you buy the new 6 bolt wheel.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks for your answers, Velocipedist and MOJO K!

I know exactly where the problem is in the old rear rim. I bought the bike second hand and the previous owner had managed to dent the rim badly. I tried bending the dent back and getting the dent smooth, but with no success. There are a few too sharp corners that ruin the rear inner tubes.

Now about this "bolt disc or center-loc"-question; should I take the rear wheel out and take a photo of the center? Or will I need to open up the wheel somehow even further?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zervini View Post
    Thanks for your answers, Velocipedist and MOJO K!

I know exactly where the problem is in the old rear rim. I bought the bike second hand and the previous owner had managed to dent the rim badly. I tried bending the dent back and getting the dent smooth, but with no success. There are a few too sharp corners that ruin the rear inner tubes.

Now about this "bolt disc or center-loc"-question; should I take the rear wheel out and take a photo of the center? Or will I need to open up the wheel somehow even further?
    It's a question of how the brake disc attaches to the rear hub. If you look at the disc and see 6 cap head screws that use either a hex head allen key or torx head wrench to hold the disc to the hub, then you have a 6 bolt hub. I think I can see one of those black screws in the picture.

the discerning hooligan
    Scrolling down I found a picture I could enlarge, and it looks like you have the 6 bolt pattern already. It literally is 6 small (usually Torx head) bolts that hold the disc to the hub and is more common. Center lock disc is held in place with a lock ring interface and there are no visible bolt holding it on. There's an adapter to make a 6 bolt disc fit a center lock hub. I don't think there is any way to fit a center lock disc to a 6 bolt hub.

Also a good call to replace the whole thing. If the rim is damaged that badly, it may also fail at that place.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Scrolling down I found a picture I could enlarge, and it looks like you have the 6 bolt pattern already. It literally is 6 small (usually Torx head) bolts that hold the disc to the hub and is more common. Center lock disc is held in place with a lock ring interface and there are no visible bolt holding it on. There's an adapter to make a 6 bolt disc fit a center lock hub. I don't think there is any way to fit a center lock disc to a 6 bolt hub.

Also a good call to replace the whole thing. If the rim is damaged that badly, it may also fail at that place.
    Oki doki! So is everything in the shopping list compatible? I'll pull the trigger (place order) if you give the green light

the discerning hooligan
    Your links are in another language, but you're getting quick release wheels, 26". Confirm the hub width is the same (probably 135mm) and that the valve stems on the tubes are the right style and you should be good. I think Mavic rims should have a rim strip installed but it never hurts to have a roll of rim tape around. I like the use of down-hill weight tubes with studded tires. Changing out flats in cold wet sucks.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    are you going to be riding in snow/ice? I see you are getting studded tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    are you going to be riding in snow/ice? I see you are getting studded tires.
    Yes, I live in Finland so there's no choice for like 3-4 months.. 50% of that time it's mostly just ice.