mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Play in axle -Stanís 3.30 hub.

There was play in the axle so I went to replace the bearings. For some reason the drive side bearing pushes easily in and also pushes easily out if I push on axle from the other side

Is the hub shot? Iím using enduro 6802 bearings.

Thanks

Russell

mtbr member
    These hubs are notoriously weak and prone to fail. Search the forums and you'll find other stories like this. I blew up bearings then sheared the axle completely in two. They are just not robust enough for most riders. I'd recommended replacing it now with something stronger so you don't find yourself stranded mid-ride or worse, mid-trip, both of which happened to me. Nothing worse than being worried your hub is going to make it through a big ride!

mtbpete
    Call Stan's when they open after the holidays and they may warranty this for you even if it's old. It's worth a call. Bearings that have lost their press-fit will cause play in the hub.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I like my Stan's 3.30 rear hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks! I did see a lot of issues that people had with these but not this exact issue. Overall they have been great.

I sent Stanís an email and will follow up after the holidays. Maybe they will warranty it or they will give me a discount on another hub

Thanks and happy holidays!

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ I've never seen this issue before.

What issues are you seeing others having a lot of issues with?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    While searching I saw a lot of people were going through bearings quickly with these hubs but not where the bearing doesnít seat in the hub

Magically Delicious
    Why are you replacing your bearings?

Don't want to service them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Based on the play in the wheel I assumed they weíre somehow destroyed. Figured I would try new ones.

I service the suspension bearings somewhat regularly

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Why are you replacing your bearings?

Don't want to service them?
    probably because 3.30s chew through bearings like they're donuts.

Get rid of them. Don't buy stan's hubs. Generation after generation they're hilariously bad. Don't be like me and need 3 reliably malfunctioning hubs and 150lb friends having the same experiences to learn to not throw good money after bad.

(you can swap 3.30s with dt 350s and reuse your spokes)
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Magically Delicious
    I have several wheel sets, but one of them is the Stan's 3.30 hubs on original bearings with 6,230 trouble-free miles on them. They have been regularly maintained and appropriately serviced.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have several wheel sets, but one of them is the Stan's 3.30 hubs on original bearings with 6,230 trouble-free miles on them. They have been regularly maintained and appropriately serviced.
    I suspect manufacturing, through axle use, and your use are variables. The one on my hardtail was fine until i converted it to through axle. The one on my QR suspension bike was always shit, and hilariously bad when it was converted to through axle. I've stripped a drive ring, cracked 2 freehubs, and popped an embarrassing number of center bearings, despite regular maintenance. I've seen multiple other riders have the same (or different!) failures with these hubs, and with the newer replacements. Easily the worst hubs i've seen in widespread circulation. Based on experience with these and other hubs, i doubt service interval is very important for longevity. They don't last long enough for regular servicing to be a factor.

Be happy it's working for you! You must be doing something right.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    and hilariously bad when it was converted to through axle.
    I had this for a few years and had no issues until I converted the rear wheel to thru axle

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    They don't last long enough for regular servicing to be a factor.
    YMMV... mine has been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Be happy it's working for you! You must be doing something right.
    Perhaps just lucky?

Different topic direction...

I serviced my I-9 rear hub bearings and XD freehub this evening. All's well in this house, this evening.

Here, diagonally!
    The 3.30 seems to be fine for lighter and / or non-abusive riders. For breakage, I'm not sure that regular servicing matters much, I think it ultimately comes down to the peak force you put on it.

I'm a 230lb clyde. On the 3.30 rear hubs, the bearings are too small, and they would fail for me every 3 to 6 months. Yet I had lighter 160 / 180 pound friends that rode them for years with zero issues.

SKF bearings fixed my bearing problem, until I stripped the drive ring. Got a free 3.30HD replacement and got a few trouble-free years out of it, but finally stripped the ring on the HD ratcheting up a steep hill from a near-dead stop.

I still have a 3.30HD as a backup. Other than not being Clyde-proof, I like it better than my Hadley. Super low drag, and no side-to-side play.

If Stan's will do a fresh build with their latest hub under warranty for free, You might give it a go. But seems like the only way to get a bulletproof hub is to go with the proven brands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    If Stan's will do a fresh build with their latest hub under warranty for free, You might give it a go. But seems like the only way to get a bulletproof hub is to go with the proven brands.
    Stan's said this was normal for these hubs and that they are still rideable. I will test that but likely I will buy a new DT hub mentioned above and swap out the Stan's hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    The 3.30 seems to be fine for lighter and / or non-abusive riders. For breakage, I'm not sure that regular servicing matters much, I think it ultimately comes down to the peak force you put on it.
    This. These hubs were originally marketed for trail bike use. They're just not up to that role for some riders. Lighter riders, lower power, and a bike that stays on the ground, they'll probably do fine with a caveat for more frequent bearing replacements.

To me, they're road bike hubs. Economical for the weight and engagement. For an off-road build in this price range, I'd choose the 6902-based D792SB instead.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    Stan's said this was normal for these hubs and that they are still rideable. I will test that but likely I will buy a new DT hub mentioned above and swap out the Stan's hub.
    I find it hard to believe that a bearing that has lost it's press fit is acceptable. Hope they are not slacking in that area. They swapped me for an HD 3.30 hub and new spokes for free back when I broke mine in 2014. I was happy with that.

I did use Loctite 660 to hold my bearing in when this happened to me, as it is designed for that purpose.

You might look into buying an entire new wheel with a DT hub, and keeping the Stan's as a backup, using SKF bearings and locktite 660. Good luck.