"Pinging" spokes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

"Pinging" spokes?

Couple seasons ago I was running a 29" TRS+ 28H alloy wheelset. 100mi or so after the purchase my front wheel was making a pinging sound usually during a sustained climb w/ any front wheel turning. I spent quite a bit of time messing w/ spoke tension & even replaced the nipples - still pinged. Wasn't until someone suggested the spoke crossings could be the source of the noise - Bingo. A dab of grease @ the spoke crossing & all was well . Pretty much assumed it was flexy rims & E13's Quad butted spokes. Fast forward this season I built a 29" 28H DT Swiss XM481 front wheel using DT Swiss Competition spokes & Squorx nipples. After a couple dozen rides the dreaded pinging surfaced on my DT wheel.

So is this an alloy 28H phenomenon? Thanks.

mtbpete
    It is not a 28h thing. Pinging sounds have been tough to diagnose. I once traced it to a crack in the hub body. Did you use the same hub as before? Sometimes the hub bearing shifts back and forth when the spacing is out of tolerance, which causes noise as well. You could try greasing the spoke crossings again, but the fact that it happens climbing doesn't make a lot of sense since there should be no torque transferred between the hub and the rim on a climb and less weight on the front as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    It is not a 28h thing. Pinging sounds have been tough to diagnose. I once traced it to a crack in the hub body. Did you use the same hub as before? Sometimes the hub bearing shifts back and forth when the spacing is out of tolerance, which causes noise as well. You could try greasing the spoke crossings again, but the fact that it happens climbing doesn't make a lot of sense since there should be no torque transferred between the hub and the rim on a climb and less weight on the front as well.
    Different hub. The E-13 hub was a symmetrical tall flange & the Newman hub asymmetrical. Maybe I only hear the noise climbing because I am going slow. If I block the front wheel against a wall and torque the bars I can get a ping out of the spokes.

mtbpete
    Try grabbing the top of the wheel and holding the fork while you shift the wheel side to side. This is similar to blocking it against the wall. I'm thinking it's the bearing that is shifting in the hub shell. I've seen bearings shifting on many hubs when the bearing spacing is out of tolerance though it doesn't sound exactly like spokes pinging. Maybe you're hearing it going up hills because it's quiet at that time. Try greasing the spoke crosses and checking again. If there is still a sound, but the pitch has changed then I think it's the front bearing. Sometimes wrenching on the front skewer to make it tighter fills that tolerance void and stops the noise. I would try that next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since you can reproduce the sound I'd get a friend to do that while you use a length of hose to your ear to pinpoint the source.