perfect AM tire- Mtbr.com

Thread: perfect AM tire

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

perfect AM tire

ok so i got told on the AM thread to come here. heres the question: "I am lookin for the perfect AM tire. capable of gripping in any condition with a high rolling speed. tell me what you found perfect. I was looking at panaracer rampage sc, specialized purgatory, and wtb prowler mx." post what you think is the "perfect AM tire" thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeeskeburbs
    ok so i got told on the AM thread to come here. heres the question: "I am lookin for the perfect AM tire. capable of gripping in any condition with a high rolling speed. tell me what you found perfect. I was looking at panaracer rampage sc, specialized purgatory, and wtb prowler mx." post what you think is the "perfect AM tire" thanks
    No such thing. Too many variables in terrain, conditions, bike setup, riding style and personal preference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Front or rear?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm lemme narrow it down

well i could narrow it down. Where I live we have lots of loose dirt and rocks i like to feel the most traction as possible when going around corners in the loose stuff and feel in control on the rocks. And i was thinking a set of tires that are the same or a beefy one up front and a smaller one in back. I have a 2010 trek fuel ex 7, basically stock. Just tell me basically what you've liked the most in these conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeeskeburbs
    well i could narrow it down. Where I live we have lots of loose dirt and rocks i like to feel the most traction as possible when going around corners in the loose stuff and feel in control on the rocks. And i was thinking a set of tires that are the same or a beefy one up front and a smaller one in back. I have a 2010 trek fuel ex 7, basically stock. Just tell me basically what you've liked the most in these conditions.
    Shiggy's right......but you need to tell us more. Looking for low weight.....running tubless or tubes.....value.....price considerations.....OK......RO RO'S.... RA RA'S.... RK'S XKINGS MKINGS.......Opinions are like --- h---'s everybody has one. This forum will get you close. I went with 2.2 Race king supersonic's from the old Smoke/Dart set up. They aren't here yet for review. I was looking for..... fast .... light.....climbing with decent comfort in my case.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shiggy is right on this one. A perfect tire is a highly conditions and rider specific item. That being said, here is sort of a greatest hits list of AM tires that are widely recommended.

1. Kenda Nevegal - Grippy, large, etc. Many people, including myself, hate how slow they are. But they are a good popular AM tire.

2. Maxxis High Rollers - probably one of the better do everything tires on the market. I've seen them on everything from world cup dh race bikes to cat 1 xc race bikes (different sizes/casings of course). Often run small size though. From Maxxis, minions and ardents are also excellent for general AM tires.

3. Continental Trail Kings - very popular and I very rarely see someone that doesn't like them, even if they prefer something else. Mountain Kings are another conti consideration.

4. WTB Weirwolfs - another classic. Better in loose terrain. Also check out the new bronson.

5. Schwalbe Nobby Nic - expensive and fast, but loyal followers. muddy mary and fat alberts are more agressive. the new hans dampf looks promising.

I'll stop there, but you get the picture. If you want a true targeted recommendation, your best bet is to tell the forum where you live, what trails you ride (someone likely has ridden them before) and what seasons you are riding in mostly.

mtbr member
    I'll disagree - there are plenty of all-conditions tires that work very well for aggressive all-mtn riding. These are the best IMHO and they do work well in ALL conditions. The other tires mentioned in this thread are more "trail" or XC oriented and don't hold up to the hard cornering of aggro AM:
    1. Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    2. Schwalbe Muddy Mary (if you do FR/DH as well as they are heavier)
    3. Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller
    4. Conti Trail King
    5. Schwalbe Fat Alberts

All of these roll well (Nevegals hewk up but roll like boat anchors) and would meet your criteria.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    I'll disagree - there are plenty of all-conditions tires that work very well for aggressive all-mtn riding. These are the best IMHO and they do work well in ALL conditions. The other tires mentioned in this thread are more "trail" or XC oriented and don't hold up to the hard cornering of aggro AM:
    1. Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    2. Schwalbe Muddy Mary (if you do FR/DH as well as they are heavier)
    3. Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller
    4. Conti Trail King
    5. Schwalbe Fat Alberts

All of these roll well (Nevegals hewk up but roll like boat anchors) and would meet your criteria.

Have FUN!

G
    All of your six were previously mentioned.

All are options. None are prefect.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    All of your six were previously mentioned.

All are options. None are prefect.
    The Minion DHF wasn't mentioned and is considered one of the best AM/FR/DH tires of all time (the MM and FA are mentioned in passing). Almost all of ancient's suggestions are XC oriented. The Hans Dampf is about as close to perfect as you're gonna find for an AM all conditions fast rolling tire and you've never tried it so how do you know?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    The Minion DHF wasn't mentioned and is considered one of the best AM/FR/DH tires of all time (the MM and FA are mentioned in passing). Almost all of ancient's suggestions are XC oriented. The Hans Dampf is about as close to perfect as you're gonna find for an AM all conditions fast rolling tire and you've never tried it so how do you know?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    The real point is nobody knows how a tire will perform for them, in their conditions until they ride it. It may be that those XC type tires are the best option for the OP. Maybe not.

At best, you narrow the choices before you try them.

And I yet to find any tire that works perfectly in all conditions. There are always compromises.
    mtbtires.com

Bike to the Bone...
    I agree on Shiggy, no tire's perfect, conditions AND personal preferences affect tire choice.

Personally, I like the Conti Trail Kings, Maxxis Aadvantage, also in a lesser degree Nevegals and Fat Alberts, I dislike Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Currently im running the last version of the 2.4Conti MtnKng front and 2.2Conti MtnKng rear, they grip and roll well...I ride these in all conditions/terrain

Another good combo is a 2.35 Maxxis High roller up front and 2.35 or 2.10 Maxxis Ignitor rear...Although I had issues with their UST tires forming blister bubbles in the casing. I am looking into a warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the input guys, I have been looking at conti trail kings and the fat alberts. Still looking though I want to narrow it down some more. maybe ill buy a couple sets.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    You will end up with a pile of tires in your garage/workshop. Do not try to fight this fact.

There are so many tread types, sizes and compounds available that it boggles the mind.

Your quest will likely change over time as well, as may your riding conditions and ability, perhaps even your riding style.
    I suggest that you try as many different tires as possible because, as already stated, there is no one tire. The best you can hope for is a reasonable compromise until the next time you're tire hunting.
    Try everything that has been mentioned and have a look as well at the manufacturers that run a bit under the radar. That's how I found the Geax Barro Mountain 2.3 which has been my favorite tire for about a year now.

mtbr member
    I'm running Continental X-king race sports (2.2) at the moment and am VERY pleased. Used for singletrack mostly, no big stuff. To be honest I don't have experience with a huge number of different tires but I would guess that a set of X-king 2.4 should be on your short list... Just stay with the black chili versions and pick the carcass that suits your needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No such thing. Too many variables in terrain, conditions, bike setup, riding style and personal preference.
    I agree, but at the very least when told that the priorities are "fast" and "grippy," we can assume that price and weight are not priorities. That narrows things down quite a bit.

p.s. That being said, I have two set sof Kenda Nevegals, and you'll find Nevegal owners divide into two camps: Those who call them "Never Rolls" and those who call them "Never Goes." For AM riding, I don't care, but since the OP asked for "fast," I think they're off the list.
    Last edited by raganwald; 05-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rampage

I'm surprised the Panaracer Rampage hasn't been mentioned yet. Every time I browse these boards for the latest word on tires there is always a new option or something has been revamped (not always for the better). What seems consistent to me though is the same offerings keep showing up (Conti TK, RK, or MK; Schwalbe FA or NN). Maxxis always has an offering that shows up in the discussion, though it varies - currently that's Minion or Ardent. Newer options like Hans Dampf and Bronson are showing up a lot lately. And for all the knocks the Nevegal gets for being a slow roller, it still makes its way into the discussion every time.

Me? I have a pair of 2.25 Panaracer Cinders. The front looks good but the rear is worn and in need of replacement. And like the OP, there are too damn many choices to just pick one and know that is the right choice. I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a dedicated set for wet conditions and another set as my primary tires. When winter rolls in I'll either go as fat as will fit or try my hand with studded tires. I'm off to go clear some space in the garage to store my extra tires...

Fred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeeskeburbs View Post
    capable of gripping in any condition with a high rolling speed.
    I haven't tried every tire out there, but the Kenda Excavator is pretty darned close to this. I've been running it front and back for a couple years.

The only caveat with the excavators is that the sidewalls apparently don't hold up to riding in southwestern states with a lot of sharp rocks, according to the experiences of a couple of posters on the forums here. I've experienced no sidewall tears in Alaska, Washington, or (so far) Northern California.

*The Excavators are also designed to be modded. I've never done it, as I've never needed it. But I think Eric Carter has a video about how to do it.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf for the WIN! SHIGGY BE EATIN HIS WORDS!!! Closest thing to perfection for an all-conditions AM tire out there (see the thread on it and just try to find one these days!). I know enough about tread design and rubber compounding (sold chemicals to Goodyear/Firestone) that I knew this was going to be a huge success! Good on Schwalbe!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Hans Dampf for the WIN! SHIGGY BE EATIN HIS WORDS!!! Closest thing to perfection for an all-conditions AM tire out there (see the thread on it and just try to find one these days!). I know enough about tread design and rubber compounding (sold chemicals to Goodyear/Firestone) that I knew this was going to be a huge success! Good on Schwalbe!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    So how much time do you have on this tire? You seem to have similar tastes in tires as me, so I will be interested to see how you like these over the long term.

I'm going to have to wait a while for the initial hype to wear down before getting these. I've gotten burned with the hype surrounding too many new tires, and Schwalbe in particular seldom lives up the expectations (or the price) for me. Racing Ralphs, Fat Albert, Marathon Supremes, and now Nobby Nics, all left me a lot poorer, but unimpressed. Not terribletires (Except the FA) just nothing special, especially for the asking prices. The one exception has been the Big Betty GGC, which ironically is the one I keep finding deals on for under $40.

Seems to me there was a LOT of excitement over the HD before anyone even tried it.

Please excuse my possible misuse of "ironically".
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0