Results 1 to 66 of 66
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    197

    Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert

    Anyone tried seen or tried these inserts? I noticed them in a picture posted on PB for coverage of the first WC XCO race this year. These are very intriguing to me. Had to use Google translate as I do not know Italian... https://www.bikesuspension.com/ptn-p...re-noodle.html

    Here is what I have found about them after some research. Low weight - claimed 80g each for medium 27.5 insert. That puts them about the same weight as Huck Norris. The design has more fill similar to Cush Core, maybe similar benefits?. Looks like there is a sheath around the foam that would keep sealant from soaking in (until it gets sliced form a hard hit). Price to USA is more little more than HN, but about half of CC. They are noted the as race only, so I wonder how durable they are. Seems like they would be good inserts for trail bikes.

    I would like to figure out what material they are made of so I can make my own. Wonder if the sheath is something they add or if it comes on that type of foam? Thoughts?
    Last edited by MudBike; 03-22-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Corrected link

  2. #2
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,769
    404 Not Found
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,322

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Thanks. I fixed it in my post.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    118
    Bought some Pepi's noodles, had some trouble fitting up the first tire and insert, but it was a lot easier on the second one.

    Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert-img_20180622_114035.jpg

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11
    I have been reading up on tire inserts (cushcore, pc, ftd, huck Norris etc)and all of a sudden I start seeing World Cup racers endorsing it. costs less, weighs less. Please review. I am placing an order as soon as I can figure out these euro sites, somebody smart beat me to the punch and carry this in the US.

    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Bought some Pepi's noodles, had some trouble fitting up the first tire and insert, but it was a lot easier on the second one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180622_114035.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1204654

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11
    But seriously how do you buy these the site is difficult. Take my money. 25mm internal width. 2.35-2.4 tire(tyre)

    https://www.instagram.com/ptn_pepis_tyre_noodle/

    I want this like yesterday

  8. #8
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,765
    Quote Originally Posted by JROC View Post
    But seriously how do you buy these the site is difficult. Take my money. 25mm internal width. 2.35-2.4 tire(tyre)

    https://www.instagram.com/ptn_pepis_tyre_noodle/

    I want this like yesterday
    Click shop at the top, then type Ptn into the search bar.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Click shop at the top, then type Ptn into the search bar.
    have you tried checking out. not so simple

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Bought some Pepi's noodles, had some trouble fitting up the first tire and insert, but it was a lot easier on the second one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180622_114035.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1204654
    How firm are they? I mostly want a cushcore as they're quite firm and help resist tyre squirm more than anything. These look and sound a lot softer.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11
    Huck Norris on the way but I still want PTN! Not a money thing, I thought the weight of Cushcore is dumb, go back to the engineering room and make it lighter. Spend god knows on dope wheels and then increase the weight by 1/3 and friggin expensive and a PIA to install/remove?! I am trying my best to protect my investment on carbon wheels. Everyone raves how inserts enhance feel. Warranty yes but the turnaround usually sucks. I am not trying to run super lowl pressures, I like the rear to wash out first obvi but racers saying they have blown out and finished races is cool. I have considered running cushcore in the rear only. Aaron Gwin says on some races he only runs FTD on rear wheel same concept.
    I am now considering these
    Vittoria Air-Liner tire insert launched - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com
    Last edited by JROC; 07-10-2018 at 09:00 PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,712
    The pros ran for years without these things, and so did we... What changed now that so many people are ruining rims without inserts?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11
    Riding a mid travel 29er not a burly downhill rig. Casing jumps. Hitting rocks. Going fast. I hate hearing that sound and stopping/checking ok Iím good. edit entirely off topic who has these and can review? how have you purchased?
    Last edited by JROC; 07-11-2018 at 07:28 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    I bit the bullet and ordered a set. I ordered the large size as I wanted the most sidewall support and run a big 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear. I probably won't use one in the front. I was going for to get a cushcore but Pepi's tyre noodle was cheaper for 2 than 1 Cushcore and less than half the weight. It'll probably take a few weeks to arrive being international mail from eBay but I'll come back with a review after I test it out.

  15. #15
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,098
    It'll be interesting to see just how "race only" they are.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    It'll be interesting to see just how "race only" they are.
    Yeah longevity might be the key but I don't actually see where they state "race only" and they do mention durability so might be lucky. I'll have a spare so I'll periodically pop the bead and check it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    ...I don't actually see where they state "race only"...
    Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert-cartoncino_bild_sito_page1_image1.jpg

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartoncino_bild_sito_page1_image1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	1208006
    Ahh ok, I wouldn't be surprised if that was some poor translation because their website and all the media on them has terrible English lol. But I also wouldn't be surprised for the weight if the noodle degrades fairly quickly. We shall see.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    589
    I tried to order them, they refunded me and said they donít ship to the US.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I tried to order them, they refunded me and said they donít ship to the US.
    I ordered mine through eBay, obviously non English speaking seller and they're on there way to Australia. They'd probably ship to the US too.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I ordered mine through eBay, obviously non English speaking seller and they're on there way to Australia. They'd probably ship to the US too.
    Thanks, just ordered a set. Cheap and light vs cushcore. Worth a shot. Ive been running cushcore and love everything about it but the weight.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johnnydrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    477
    I want to order some on Ebay, but can't figure out what the different sizes are... Small, Medium and Large ... of what...?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    I want to order some on Ebay, but can't figure out what the different sizes are... Small, Medium and Large ... of what...?
    What size wheels do you have? How wide are your rims? Thatís plenty of info to work it out...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Thanks, just ordered a set. Cheap and light vs cushcore. Worth a shot. Ive been running cushcore and love everything about it but the weight.
    Interested in your comparison to cushcore. I'm running CC and the added weight on long days is noticeable.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johnnydrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    What size wheels do you have? How wide are your rims? Thatís plenty of info to work it out...
    So small medium and large has to do with how wide my rim is? Not obvious on the website...

    So if I run 30mm inner width rims, I would order a size medium?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    So small medium and large has to do with how wide my rim is? Not obvious on the website...

    So if I run 30mm inner width rims, I would order a size medium?
    Thatís what I ordered for 30mm

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    So small medium and large has to do with how wide my rim is? Not obvious on the website...

    So if I run 30mm inner width rims, I would order a size medium?
    the pic I posted a few posts up has the sizing guide.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    I ordered large for 30mm rim and a big WTB Breakout 2.5 tyre but I expect it to be a bit of a tight fit and would prefer it that way for sidewall support. I suspect the Pepi's Tire Noodle to be softer than Cushcore and hence less supportive of the sidewall.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: In2falling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I ordered large for 30mm rim and a big WTB Breakout 2.5 tyre but I expect it to be a bit of a tight fit and would prefer it that way for sidewall support. I suspect the Pepi's Tire Noodle to be softer than Cushcore and hence less supportive of the sidewall.
    These foam noodles are going to shrink quite a bit once the tire is inflated, you are putting 20+ pounds per square inch on them.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    These foam noodles are going to shrink quite a bit once the tire is inflated, you are putting 20+ pounds per square inch on them.
    any math minds want to approximate the % of compression based on say 25psi in a standard 2.35 tire in all 3 diameters?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    589
    I received mine today. Just looking at them I canít imagine they would do much to stop a square edge rock strike. They are light, my 29ís came in at 70g and 80g. The foam isnít very dense. I found Huck Norris to be pretty useless as a hard strike will slice right though it. I doubt these will be be more protective than those. I donít think Iíd trust these for racing Enduro but I may run them in my carbon hoops for trail riding. For serious riding there isnít much that beats cushcore. Only thing with that is the weight. Iím off the bike for at least a few more weeks with a fractured thumb but Iíll post up once I can actually ride them.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    See Richie Rude rolling down on the rim with his Cushcore and tyre hanging around the stays last weekend? I don't think anything is a cure all for poor line choice but any cushion between the tyre has to help.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Recieved and installed my tire noodle today, going to ride on it tomorrow morning. Install was easier than expected, they're a little elastic and not super tight on the rim so easy to get the tyre on the rim bed as you're fitting it. They aren't as stiff as Cushcore but are stiffer than they look and do seem to give a bit of support. The valves that came with are literally just generic steel valve stems that have been notched with a grinder. I installed it in a tyre that's just starting to show some wear so I'll see what it looks like once it's fully worn and I replace it.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Just finished my first proper ride on the noodle. I ran a pressure I know that I can get tyre squirm and hit the highest g-outs I could to induce squirm. I won't say the noodle eliminated squirm, but it definitely did something to reduce it. I have no doubt that Cushcore would do a better job at reducing squirm, just knowing how stuff they are but is it worth the weight penalty to you? Speaking of weight I can't say I even noticed the extra weight at all, my bike is far from a weight weenies dream at around 14kg with big heavy tires (WTB Breakout 2.5 on the rear with the noodle). So for me that's a decent investment win, only thing to see now is how long it lasts.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Pretty sure my tire noodle paid for itself on this morning's ride. One one of my local trails there is a natural waterfall (when we rarely get rain) that crosses a trail. It's a 5 meter section of just rocks (mostly sharp as we don't seem to get smooth one's) ranging from golf ball size up to abut grape fruit size. I managed to hit a large rock that was out of place at about 30kph and heard a horrible noise that sounded like my carbon run cracking and my spokes crying in pain lol. But the bike was still riding fine so I finished the segment and then assessed the damage. To my utter surprise I couldn't even see any damage at other other than my usual scratches and scrapes from rocks.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    This looks like a solid product. Might have to give it a try.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    118
    Haven't felt my rim smack into rocks after fitting my noodles, used to feel it at least once on every ride before, running same pressure with and without (24 psi front 26 psi rear).

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    Why do you even need their valve stems?

    I mean the air is blowing in and the tire noodle is loose fitting and being blown away from the valve stem? Seems like the air would easily go where it needs to. If anything air would have a hard time reaching the tire tread side of the noodle.

    Anyways, I ordered a set hoping to reduce squirm on lightweight tires, prevent the occasional rock strike, and give me a bail out plan to ride back to the truck.

    Heck, I might ditch my tire repair kit as a result.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    I'm in for a set too. Insurance for carbon rims, crosses fingers.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    No you don't need their stems but only because they're just normal stems with a groove ground into them. The noodle isn't "loose" on the rim, it could impede airflow. Just use your regular stems and file a groove in them.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    I suppose the problem is not as much inflating, as deflating, once the noodle plugs the stem tight and won't let the air out. Edit: however that could be remediated by unscrewing the valve and putting some rod into stem to push the noodle away from the other end.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    That makes perfect sense.

    I received my Pepi's yesterday and they will be going in the rear on a new build in November.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    711
    Ran Pepiís in front and back of my bike for most of this season. I am now running it only in the front and have the Vitoria Airliner in the rear.
    I tore my tire (DD aggressor) and broke my rim in the top third of Stage 2 at the Whistler EWS. I was able to ride of the whole stage (not fast) and get a new tire (dh casing) and finish the race with a tube. The PTN was shredded.
    The damage probably would have been worse without the PTN and I may not have been able to finish the race if my rim had been more badly damaged. Iím a firm believer in inserts if racing as it MAY allow you to ride a stage out of things go wrong.
    The airliner is about twice the weight (180gr) for 27.5. Way more dense, allows for lower pressure (20-22psi rear with exo) without too much tire squirm. The first time I tried it, I had about 28psi and my tire was bouncing off everything. Let out some air (too much) and was squirming like crazy but didnít smash my rim. Checked the pressure and had 11psi. Upped it to 21, was amazing. A little bit of tire roll but allowed for amazing grip. So much that I went flying through a rock garden and ate shit. Finished my day.
    Ran the same pressure the following weekend in a race, felt fantastic. Switched to a DH casing for the Sunday portion with 22psi. Could and should have gone with 20psi.
    I do prefer the support of the airliner over PTN but Iíll keep running the PTN in the front as I feel it adds a little safety.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    So you can confirm that the noodle does not degrade over time in the tyre?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Ran Pepiís in front and back of my bike for most of this season. I am now running it only in the front and have the Vitoria Airliner in the rear.
    I tore my tire (DD aggressor) and broke my rim in the top third of Stage 2 at the Whistler EWS. I was able to ride of the whole stage (not fast) and get a new tire (dh casing) and finish the race with a tube. The PTN was shredded.
    The damage probably would have been worse without the PTN and I may not have been able to finish the race if my rim had been more badly damaged. Iím a firm believer in inserts if racing as it MAY allow you to ride a stage out of things go wrong.
    The airliner is about twice the weight (180gr) for 27.5. Way more dense, allows for lower pressure (20-22psi rear with exo) without too much tire squirm. The first time I tried it, I had about 28psi and my tire was bouncing off everything. Let out some air (too much) and was squirming like crazy but didnít smash my rim. Checked the pressure and had 11psi. Upped it to 21, was amazing. A little bit of tire roll but allowed for amazing grip. So much that I went flying through a rock garden and ate shit. Finished my day.
    Ran the same pressure the following weekend in a race, felt fantastic. Switched to a DH casing for the Sunday portion with 22psi. Could and should have gone with 20psi.
    I do prefer the support of the airliner over PTN but Iíll keep running the PTN in the front as I feel it adds a little safety.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Pepi is a good fit for my application.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    711
    PTN does tear just like Huck Norris does if it is hit hard enough. After riding out the stage and to the pits to get a new tire, the PTN was shredded. I used it again until I was able to get Ann airLiner. I donít know how much help the PTN would be if I were to have smacked a rock on the section that was no longer held together by the red cover. The red cover does rip but the foam didnít seem to hold much fluid.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,609
    anyone running these for XC racing? 50 grams a wheel seems like pretty minimal weight impact and the price is good if they last through at least a couple sets of tires.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Have you seen the Alfaflex pipe insulation?
    Looks exactly like Pepis, an costs much less.

    https://plumbing4home.com/pipe-insulationName:  51ByCYwn6nL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  17.2 KB

    I'm quite sure most of the tire inserts that looks like pipe insulation is pipe insulation.

    Bought a pair of Baribieri Anaconda. It was half the price of Huck Norris so I gave it a try. It looks and feels like PE pipe insulation, but must be quite thick as they are hard to squeeze. Feelt ok riding without air, but I haven't tried them in high speed.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,609
    Quote Originally Posted by erlingba View Post
    Have you seen the Alfaflex pipe insulation?
    Looks exactly like Pepis, an costs much less.

    https://plumbing4home.com/pipe-insulationName:  51ByCYwn6nL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  17.2 KB

    I'm quite sure most of the tire inserts that looks like pipe insulation is pipe insulation.

    Bought a pair of Baribieri Anaconda. It was half the price of Huck Norris so I gave it a try. It looks and feels like PE pipe insulation, but must be quite thick as they are hard to squeeze. Feelt ok riding without air, but I haven't tried them in high speed.
    Yeah could be the same stuff, but the insert is not hollow.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by erlingba View Post
    Bought a pair of Baribieri Anaconda. It was half the price of Huck Norris so I gave it a try. It looks and feels like PE pipe insulation, but must be quite thick as they are hard to squeeze. Feelt ok riding without air, but I haven't tried them in high speed.
    That looks like backer rod lol. Stuff costs 3 bucks per 6ft of 2in dia rod.

    Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert-rod.jpg

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    I'm tempted to try a custom backer rod insert, pending how the Pepi's looks when I replace the tyre it's in soon.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I'm tempted to try a custom backer rod insert, pending how the Pepi's looks when I replace the tyre it's in soon.
    I tested the backer rod and it was a 1/3 cut off the top for a 2.35in rear tire. Don't need the full 2in dia rod for that size tire imo. Anyways with 1/3rd cut off the top exposing the cut to the tread side, it was exposed to all the sealant. After a month, I pulled it out and weighed it wet and after squeezing sealant out. The difference was 20grams of weight wet and after being squeegeed. The hoop was 100g with 20g of sealant soaked in. I also glued my rods into a hoop unlike others who used zip ties. I use the full rod in my plus tires and those soak up even less.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I tested the backer rod and it was a 1/3 cut off the top for a 2.35in rear tire. Don't need the full 2in dia rod for that size tire imo. Anyways with 1/3rd cut off the top exposing the cut to the tread side, it was exposed to all the sealant. After a month, I pulled it out and weighed it wet and after squeezing sealant out. The difference was 20grams of weight wet and after being squeegeed. The hoop was 100g with 20g of sealant soaked in. I also glued my rods into a hoop unlike others who used zip ties. I use the full rod in my plus tires and those soak up even less.
    The rod comes in different diameters, what size did you use? I run a big WTB Breakout 2.5 on the back so I'd like something pretty wide.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309
    has anyone tried pool noodles?
    https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Find-flex...70_&dpSrc=srch

    listed weight is 11oz per 5 noodles so not too heavy and i guess you would only need it cut in half

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: In2falling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by erlingba View Post
    Have you seen the Alfaflex pipe insulation?
    Looks exactly like Pepis, an costs much less.

    https://plumbing4home.com/pipe-insulationName:  51ByCYwn6nL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  17.2 KB

    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...t-1045458.html

    Played around with and ran ghetto inserts a while back with some good success using pipe insulation and drip tubing.

    The Alfaflex pipe insulation looks like it would be much better pipe insulation for this setup. Think I might give this another go with Alfaflex pipe insulation.

    Name:  rim-bangerz.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  21.8 KB

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    The rod comes in different diameters, what size did you use? I run a big WTB Breakout 2.5 on the back so I'd like something pretty wide.
    Imo that the 2in dia rod is fine with my 2.8 tires. I only cut them down when going down to 2.4 and under. They might be tight on your 2.5s. Something else I noticed is that when I was gluing them together they were not round and straight. I mounted them on a rim and let it sit a day or so and they took to the new shape. They're now perfectly round and straight. If you let them sit in a rim for a while and if you made them tight enough on the rim they will conform to the rim bed.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    Cheese and Rice they are hard to work with! Ive never done tire noodles before and they kicked my butt.

    How do you break the bead once installed?

    Tire noodles dramatically change tire feel. You basically lose your air volume. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Just replaced my tyre with the Pepi's noodle in it. The noodel came out looking virtually brand new except for one little nick where I think it saved me from a flat/broken rim and the tape joining it had started coming apart (fixed with some rim tape). Turns out it is hollow, didn't seem to have absorbed much if any sealant and actually feels stiffer now than the other unused one I have. This coupled with it being a brand new tyre made it noticeably harder to fit the tyre and I made a bit of mess with sealant in the process. In future I'll mount a tyre overnight without sealant or the noodle first to make it easier. I'm quite confident now that the noodle lasts and does a great job, sidewall support seems to have improved if anything. Very happy.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    I order 29" Pepi's noodles there were labeled 29", but they were incredibly hard to install. And now it's impossible to break the bead on the tire, and I do mean impossible.
    So I took the one that I had not used and on a hunch I checked and it fits perfectly in my wife's 27.5 tires. I think they sent me the wrong size noodles.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    Hello to everyone ! I am the Guy behind PepiTireNoddle. The story with PTN began during my race support, I was looking for better suspension set up, on this occasion i had the idea to work with foam tire inserts in order to create a damping efect between the tire and the ground. Anyway its a long story !! My background is MTB suspension specialist , since the first suspension was on the market . Collaborating with many suspensions makers over the years also with Fox Racing Shox for about 10 years ,Cane creek ,Romic , XFusion ,DT-Swiss and some more ..and so on..

    PTN RaceLine Ultra Light & strong. The Red Skinned ones were the beginning of the great PTN Race Line success story in 2017, with 3 world championship titles, 2 World Cup victories, 6 European championship titles and countless national titles in various countries. The appeal of the hobby bikers is now also growing so strong that PTN has probably become one of the most sold tubeless tire inserts Worldwide. As early as 2015, the foundations of today's state of development were laid. Countless hours of work in the in-house laboratory and testing bench, as well as on racetracks with professionals, we collected data to explore the influences of different foam types and shapes. As soon as a PTN project in the prototype stadium is approved after a long test phase, you can think about mass production, as in the case of the latest PTN RokkLine Light & ultra strong. Specially developed foam material with special outer skin in an attractive Lemon Yellow color, makes the surface more resistant / durable and reduces the energy-consuming friction between the tire and the tire insert. The ratio between weight and tear resistance of the RokkLine is one of the most important features and therefore also very suitable for many bikers, including e-bikers who value longevity and can ride a few miles to their homes or even to the car with a flat tire if necessary. The entire new product range RokkLine is available in all sizes from 26 "-27.5" -29 "-29" plus. Whereby, like no other manufacturer, we have specifically adapted the wall thickness and the diameter of each model: XC, Marathon, Trail, Enduro, Downhill and E-Bike.

    https://www.facebook.com/PTNPepisTireNoodle/

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Dude you need to sort the English translation on your website.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Dude you need to sort the English translation on your website.
    You're right !! I am sorry. English grammar is one of my many weak points We are working on a new web page so it will be better soon .

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,298
    Good to see you here Pepi!

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    You're right !! I am sorry. English grammar is one of my many weak points We are working on a new web page so it will be better soon .
    You also need to work on your distribution to the west. Paying nearly 100% of the cost of the product in shipping is ridiculous.

  65. #65
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    You're right !! I am sorry. English grammar is one of my many weak points We are working on a new web page so it will be better soon .
    Hmm, shouldn't it be Pepi's Pasta Pnematico?

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    Hello to everyone ! I am the Guy behind PepiTireNoddle. The story with PTN began during my race support, I was looking for better suspension set up, on this occasion i had the idea to work with foam tire inserts in order to create a damping efect between the tire and the ground. Anyway its a long story !! My background is MTB suspension specialist , since the first suspension was on the market . Collaborating with many suspensions makers over the years also with Fox Racing Shox for about 10 years ,Cane creek ,Romic , XFusion ,DT-Swiss and some more ..and so on..

    PTN RaceLine Ultra Light & strong. The Red Skinned ones were the beginning of the great PTN Race Line success story in 2017, with 3 world championship titles, 2 World Cup victories, 6 European championship titles and countless national titles in various countries. The appeal of the hobby bikers is now also growing so strong that PTN has probably become one of the most sold tubeless tire inserts Worldwide. As early as 2015, the foundations of today's state of development were laid. Countless hours of work in the in-house laboratory and testing bench, as well as on racetracks with professionals, we collected data to explore the influences of different foam types and shapes. As soon as a PTN project in the prototype stadium is approved after a long test phase, you can think about mass production, as in the case of the latest PTN RokkLine Light & ultra strong. Specially developed foam material with special outer skin in an attractive Lemon Yellow color, makes the surface more resistant / durable and reduces the energy-consuming friction between the tire and the tire insert. The ratio between weight and tear resistance of the RokkLine is one of the most important features and therefore also very suitable for many bikers, including e-bikers who value longevity and can ride a few miles to their homes or even to the car with a flat tire if necessary. The entire new product range RokkLine is available in all sizes from 26 "-27.5" -29 "-29" plus. Whereby, like no other manufacturer, we have specifically adapted the wall thickness and the diameter of each model: XC, Marathon, Trail, Enduro, Downhill and E-Bike.

    https://www.facebook.com/PTNPepisTireNoodle/
    What is the weight of the new Rokk Line noodle?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  2. Thoughts on tire insert (cushcore) lowering the tire volume
    By legitposter in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-23-2017, 05:11 AM
  3. stuck noodle(brake)
    By judgemint in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM
  4. Superlights and clydes. Does it become a noodle?
    By motorbacon in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 488

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.