Park Tool TS-4 vs TS-2.2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Park Tool TS-4 vs TS-2.2

I want to but a wheel truer and my head is spinning.

I have come to realize that the TS-2.2 and the TS-2.2p are the same dimensions, just different finishes.

My largest wheel is a 4.6" fatbike tire on a 26" wheel.

I have found a TS-4 for sale which seems like it was sale only for a short period of time before the TS-4.2 was released.

For even money, the TS-4 seems to be a better buy than the TS-2.2 since it can handle a larger wheel and can also handle through axles with no extra components.

Is my thinking right?

Thanks,
    Chris

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    The cost difference is a lot unless you happen across a deal. I wonder how wide a fatbike rim is? I don't own one to make a proper guess If you remove the tire, I'd guess the 4" capacity of the TS-2.2 would be enough...at least that was my thinking before purchasing. I already had a 15mm to QR adapter for the front so all I needed was the 12mm for the rear (like $5-10 off fleabay).

The fatbike factor would be the only reason to consider just about doubling the cost vs. the TS-2.2. Are fat rims that wide or is it the convenience factor of not removing a tire? Too far outside what I do to give any more of an answer, but hopefully it helps.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    The parts to do TA's arent very expensive. $10-$15 per standard, its nothing crazy.

I used to build wheels every day on a cheap modified spin doctor stand. I bought it "just to get started" but all it does is hold a wheel in place while I do all the work.

Id get whatever fits all the wheels you do, which is most stands these days. Honestly, I think the nicest one is the jobst brant DIY wood stand. If you really cant do woodwork, id consider paying someone who can over buying a park.

turtles make me hot
    I have a 2.2 and I built lots of fat wheels on it. I have the adapters for the extra width of the hubs. The calipers handle 100mm rims just fine.
    I want a TS-4 just because it looks badass but I REALLY don't need it. I'm probably gonna get it anyway.
    I like turtles

And He was Not
    The TS-4 Is a nice stand. I built a lot of wheels on my 2.2. But I'm way happier using the TS-4. If you can afford the 4, I would defiantly get it.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The TS-4 Is a nice stand. I built a lot of wheels on my 2.2. But I'm way happier using the TS-4. If you can afford the 4, I would defiantly get it.
    Do you have the TS-4 or the TS-4.2? The old model is in my budget, the new one is not.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a 2.2 and a ts-4, I ended up building my fatbike wheels this summer, on the 2.2 because it was portable. My ts-4 is mounted to a bench in the garage and I was too hot to go out there. I like the thru axle mounts on the ts-4 and ended up getting the adapter for the 2.2. It all works the way it is supposed to.

And He was Not
    Mine is a TS-4. I' not sure what changes were made on the 4.2. The main body looks the same. The only thing I see that is a different is handle for the arms.

And He was Not
    I did some searching and found they re located the caliper swing arm handle back to the middle on the 4.2. I like the offset location just fine on the 4 version. They added a sharper nub to the axle holder, this is a good thing but I rarely use the that feature. Lastly, It looks like the v slots might have got smaller on the vertical arms of the 4.2. the Ones on the 4 version are really deep which I like a lot