Panaracer Cinder vs Fire XC- Mtbr.com
    I Have Gnarly Potential

Panaracer Cinder vs Fire XC

Heya guys, i just was on the Panaracer website, and was pretty much just about to order a pair of Fire XC's when i read there about their newer tire called "Cinder"

"The heir apparent to the XC Fire, the Cinder incorporates our newest compound technology ZSG Ultima. This compound performs unlike any other that wefve ever developed. Hot or cold, wet or dry, ZSG-Ultima is up to the task. Add to this our progressive multi-height knob configuration and the Cinder just rolls away from the Fire XC in terms of overall performance. ASB keeps away the pinchies and "gAbsolute F&R" design makes it work well on the front or rear."

They make it sound to be the successor to the Fire XC and not a diff kind of tire, is this true? If anyways was out to go get a pair of Fire XC's would the Cinder be a better option then?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I was never a big fan of the Fire XC. Good tire, though just OK for my riding.

I like the Cinder much better. Better cornering, better feedback. Suits my style.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Very cool thanks.

I thought i read somewhere though today (i was trying to find more info on it) that the cinder was more for longer travel Suspension bikes. Is that true? If it is does this change it being a good tire for my Hardtail?

Quote Originally Posted by Krause
    Very cool thanks.

I thought i read somewhere though today (i was trying to find more info on it) that the cinder was more for longer travel Suspension bikes. Is that true? If it is does this change it being a good tire for my Hardtail?
    Very few tires are suspension specific. The Cinder works on any bike. Just pick the width you are most comfortable with. I have used the 1.95 and 2.25, handling is basically the same.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've tried both and found the Cinders to feel a bit heavy but they do handle better than the XC Pro's. I've since switched to the Nobby Nics and love em. I'm thinking Shiggy will agree on the Nic's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailVictim
    I've tried both and found the Cinders to feel a bit heavy but they do handle better than the XC Pro's. I've since switched to the Nobby Nics and love em. I'm thinking Shiggy will agree on the Nic's performance.
    Please do not assume what I think. I have not ridden the Nobby Nic.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have used both as rear tires and prefer the Cinder. What it does better than the Fire XC:

- predictable break away when you are at the verge of locking up the brakes. Breaks away nice and slowly whereas the Fire XC is either on or off.

-alot more durable in rocky terrain. I haven't ripped any knobs off yet on my bi-weekly rocky singletrack ride.

-climbing traction seems to be similar

-Sp

mtbr member
    good to know...........mounting up my 2.1 cinders tonight.

mtbr member
    well if you're concerned about weight, the cinders are a good 200g heavier than the xc pros. again, it depends on the terrain you ride on, but that's a big weight difference for very similar performance...

The weight difference depends on the size you are using. In any case I would gladly take the extra weight for the performance gain.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was a long-time fire xc user and used both the cinder 1.95/ 2.225 when they came out--

I live and ride in Western Massachusetts-wet rocks and roots (especially this year) are the mainstay..

No love for the 1.95 cinder--just too squirrelly. In fact, what surprised me the most was that this tire-at this width-was just plain less grippy than the Fire XC pro.

The 2.25 in Cinder was a different story-gripped plenty well.

Best improvement over the Fire XC (for both sizes that is) is the far more durable/stronger sidewalls of the cinders. I don't think I ever got full tire tread wear on a Fire xc because I tore/wore out the side wall long before the expiration date! Couldn't run really low pressures either without high pinch flat risk.

But the cinder-esp tthe 2.25 could be run in the low 30 psi range comfortably and held up to quite a bit of sidewall abuse. They roll well too.

Though I liked the cinders I Ultimately I switched and have stayed with the schwalbe Albert Snakeskin 2.25 tires--better sidewalls, better rolling, Front specific version gives otherworldly slick conditions grip, and they're 100 grams lighter per tire (but alas-more money than the cinders).

Never ran the 2.1 version of the cinders--love to hear how they fare.

Liam

Liam, how much do you weigh? I have put several light women on the 1.95 Cinder and they rave about it.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Liam, how much do you weigh? I have put several light women on the 1.95 Cinder and they rave about it.
    I weigh in at 160.

The 1.95 was fine in the dry-but damp long flat rocks and roots were just miserable--I was surprised at the difference the 2.25 made liked them-but went with a lighter option (the albert)--I am curious to know how the 2.1 cinders fare--they weren't available when I last rode them.

But like I said-I appreciated the ruggedness of the the cinders in both sizes.

Everybody's experience is just different I guess.

Liam

mtbr member
    I am running the 2.25 Cinder as a rear tire and love it. The grip through the corners is amazing. Climbing and descending has really built my confidence in these tires and my ability. I run a Specialized Adrenaline/Resolution up front.

MTB Rider

Cinders Rock ...

I really like the Cinder 2.25. It's defitely has surer handling than the the Fire XC Pro. The Cinder is a tire you can put on your bike and just leave there for a variety of conditions. A cinder on the front just grabs like crazy.

I'm moving to 29ers so I will have to leave the Cinders behind. Hopefully, Panaracer's forthcoming 29er offering will have similar performance. Panaracer rocks.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I really like the Cinder 2.25. It's defitely has surer handling than the the Fire XC Pro. The Cinder is a tire you can put on your bike and just leave there for a variety of conditions. A cinder on the front just grabs like crazy.

I'm moving to 29ers so I will have to leave the Cinders behind. Hopefully, Panaracer's forthcoming 29er offering will have similar performance. Panaracer rocks.
    Awsome my new tires are arriving on monday, Cinder 2.25 front and 2.1 back (pretty shure 2.25 was gonna cut it too close for the back space wise ;P )

But eventually im sure they will make a 29er and a UST version of the tire

Jun 2006
    I'm running a Cinder 2.25 rear and WTB Timberwolf 2.5 in front. Excellent grip and predictable handling around 30-32 psi in loose/sandy/gravelly/dusty conditions around Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krause
    Awsome my new tires are arriving on monday, Cinder 2.25 front and 2.1 back (pretty shure 2.25 was gonna cut it too close for the back space wise ;P )

But eventually im sure they will make a 29er and a UST version of the tire
    The 2.25 Cinder is small in my opinion. You probably won't have any issues with it as a rear tire.

Double-metric mtb man
    For where I ride (northern Alberta, Canada), the deeper and more open pattern of the Fire XC's comes in handy...especially for those who ride a little more on the XC end of the spectrum. Our mud up here sucks hard, so the two stage knobs and deeper tread helps clear them a little better (note though, that they are *not* good tires for mud) and seems to dig in a hair deeper to where there may be some traction.

I'll agree with SinglePivot that the XC's are a little more "on / off" when it comes to locking up. I have been running the 127 TPI japanese XC's for the last 1000 kms and haven't lost a knob yet, so tearing out knobs could be a little hit and miss.

I may ave another look at the Cinders when I wear out this set of XC's, but for my type or riding and terrain, the XC's seem to be the best all-rounder available.

I can say, though, that I like Panaracer tires in general...they do a great job of putting out a good product.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I am running the 2.25 Cinder as a rear tire and love it. The grip through the corners is amazing. Climbing and descending has really built my confidence in these tires and my ability.
    I agree one hunnert percent. This is my favorite rear tire. I have no problem with the weight and have not had knobs fall off.

I'm running a big, fat Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 up front and dig that, too.

A friend tells me the Cinder is being discontinued. Anyone heard this?

fp
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Jun 2006
    Finch, check out the other thread where Shiggy previews an even newer Pana tire that will replace the Cinder. Sounds like the newcomer looks more directly descended from the Fire series but performs more like an uber-Cinder. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fu
    Finch, check out the other thread where Shiggy previews an even newer Pana tire that will replace the Cinder. Sounds like the newcomer looks more directly descended from the Fire series but performs more like an uber-Cinder. Sweet.
    The Rampage is not replacing the Cinder.
    mtbtires.com

Jun 2006
    Oops -- my mistake, I jumped to conclusions.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Rampage is not replacing the Cinder.
    Yeah, I sent Panaracer an email re: that and got a prompt reply stating that neither the Cinder or the Fire FR 2.4 are being discontinued.

fp

Heather Heyer

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!

Performance discontinued Cinders?

Recently, Performance had closeout sales on the Cinders ... I grabbed 2 at 15.99 each, then I went back for 2 more (also 15.99 each), but only available in red (I got 'em anyway) ... today, they are no longer available on the website. PERIOD. Anyone know what's up with that?
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fire XC 2.3!

I saw on the Performance website that they will soon have the Fire XC Pro in a 2.3, so that may be related to their discontinuation of the Cinder.

Cinder is a great tire, but a bit heavy for some. Me, I love 'em.

But a Cinder front/Fire 2.3 rear may be a great summer combo in the NW.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by lusdawg
    ...today, they are no longer available on the website. PERIOD. Anyone know what's up with that?
    Dammit.

fp

Heather Heyer

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    I saw on the Performance website that they will soon have the Fire XC Pro in a 2.3, so that may be related to their discontinuation of the Cinder.

Cinder is a great tire, but a bit heavy for some. Me, I love 'em.

But a Cinder front/Fire 2.3 rear may be a great summer combo in the NW.
    Interesting tire this FireAM 2.3. Profile looks an awful lot like the Fire DH Pro 2.3, which I could see Pany rebadging as an AM tire, since nobody I know of uses a 2.3 Kevlar bead DH tire. The weight of this new AM tire should tell the tail, the DH was 1050grams if memory serves me.

*Edit* After further inspection, it appears that Performance has the AM 2.3 listed at 785grams. Hmmmmmmm....don't know what too think now.

MTB Rider

Maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by lusdawg
    Recently, Performance had closeout sales on the Cinders ... I grabbed 2 at 15.99 each, then I went back for 2 more (also 15.99 each), but only available in red (I got 'em anyway) ... today, they are no longer available on the website. PERIOD. Anyone know what's up with that?
    Maybe they're OUT. As in ... maybe Panaracer can't ship anymore right now.

The Cinder is a well rated tire. I can't see it going away. I just wish it would get BIGGER and a 29er offering would be made ;-)

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Maybe they're OUT. As in ... maybe Panaracer can't ship anymore right now.

The Cinder is a well rated tire. I can't see it going away. I just wish it would get BIGGER and a 29er offering would be made ;-)
    Wonder if the new panaracer rampage is made to handle the same kind of terrain, if so (from the look of it i doubt it, but maby) it may replace it, it is much lighter. Really do doubt it though :P

Members who have read this thread: 0