Outdoor gear lab = nobby nic slow roller?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Outdoor gear lab = nobby nic slow roller?

A lot of riders regard the nobby nic as one of the fastest rolling tires for xc/trail. Outdoor gear lab indicates the opposite saying the 2.6 speed grip was a slow rolling rear tire on hard packed?

I want to pair a 2.6 front forekaster with a versatile and very fast rear. Cant decide between rekon, ardent race, nobby nic. I would go with a rocket ron or xr2 if the durability and longivity didnt suck. Rock razor is a wild card but apparently only good in dry.

mtbr member
    I'm running 29x2.35 NoNi's and have for a while. The one time I rode 29x2.6 NoNi's was on the previous Ripley and I really thought they were slow and kind of dull feeling. Conversely, on my 27.5, the 2.6 is much nicer than the 2.35.

The 29x2.6 NoNi is only available in Apex and I think that deadens the sidewall. My 2.35 NoNi's run 2.39" and 2.42" on 27 mm rims. So the volume is good and they are fast, grippy and have held up to hundreds of Moab miles. But, I'm 160 lbs and ride "light".

I've run 2.4 and 2.6 Rekons on the back and it was a waste of money. Not bad, but not as fast or grippy as the NoNi's, but they will wear better and are slightly cheaper.

The RoRon isn't available in a 29x2.35. I tried it in a 2.25 and it wasn't' any faster than the NoNi and I tore it up on my first ride.
    I'd be surprised if the Ardent Race or Ikon would be much better than the Rekons.

I'm about to throw a 2.35 Rock Razor on the back for riding on the smooth trails here in the Wasatch, so we'll see how that works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry, I should be clear. 27.5 is what I am looking for. Apex speedgrip is available in 2.6 27.5 but go for non apex? Rock razor n rocket ron are both available in 2.6 speed grip also

mtbr member
    I have used the 27.5x2.6 Rocket Ron Addix on my Yeti and it was blisteringly fast with pretty good hook up and actually wore well. My experience has been that wider versions wear better than their narrower counterparts.

If a 29x2.35 RoRon was available, I'd have tried it already.

My 2.6 Noni's wore very well in the non-Apex version and rolled very well also. Unless you're really hard on tires, I'd go non-Apex on that tire.

So, non-Apex Speedgrips are what I'd look at.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I use to follow that website and follow their reviews closely. However over the last couple of years I have found their product comparisons to just be inaccurate at times (not all of the time), therefore I quit spending time on that website.

mtbr member
    ^I never thought much of them. Blister does a pretty good job but trying to quantify characteristics of something like a tire is very specialized regardless. No conglomerate gear site is equipped to do so.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks. I am going from an anthem sx 2015 to a trance 27.5 2019... Rockin a front forekaster 2.35 which I love on 21mm rims ... rocket ron 2.25 on the back, ikon 2.35 before that and wasnt satisfied with either. With 30mm on the trance I want a tire more capable without losing too much of the xc RR

mtbr member
    Theres a lot of reports about the 2.6 NN, specifically the 2.6, not living up to its own reputation. The smaller version is fine, most people seem to report the 2.6 being a pretty bad tire overall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Theres a lot of reports about the 2.6 NN, specifically the 2.6, not living up to its own reputation. The smaller version is fine, most people seem to report the 2.6 being a pretty bad tire overall.
    Prove it

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Thanks. I am going from an anthem sx 2015 to a trance 27.5 2019... Rockin a front forekaster 2.35 which I love on 21mm rims ... rocket ron 2.25 on the back, ikon 2.35 before that and wasnt satisfied with either. With 30mm on the trance I want a tire more capable without losing too much of the xc RR
    I'm running a Racing Ray 29x2.35 front (Addix Speedgrip) and Rocket Ron 29x2.25 Addix Speed on back on my Tallboy. Super fast rolling. Mounted on 26mm internal rims. Pretty light too (655g for the Ray, 637g for the Ron).

I've had Nobby Nics on a rear tire before, but only in the Pacestar compound and 2.35. That rolled fairly fast as well. Haven't tried the Nic in Addix or anything larger than 2.35.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Prove it
    You can use the search function, or you could just buy them and find out for yourself. I've never actually seen a good review of them from any of the serious tire nuts on this forum, but I'm willing to believe they are a fine tire for many of the average riders out there.

mtbr member
    The 29x2.6 NoNi is not a tire I like. The 27.5x2.6 Noni is, as is the 29x2.35.

mtbr member
    Prove it
    I measured the 2.6 NN at 3.975 DRRU (Dirt Rolling Resistance Units) more than the 2.35 NN.

Dude what People dont seem to love the 2.6 NN. If you dont believe them, give it a try for yourself. Maybe you'll like it. The source you provided seems to find it slow.

I dont find the rolling resistance drum tests all that accurate anyway. They havent matched up with my experience. For example, the 2.35 NN tests at 20w of rolling resistance. The raceking tests at 22w at the same pressure... thats insanity, the RK is *way* faster, and they're calling it 10% slower.

As much as I like making data driven decisions in general, the test methods need to be sound... I dont feel we have sound testing, so a few decent riders telling me a tire "feels" quick unfortunately holds more weight than a simulated lab test.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I measured the 2.6 NN at 3.975 DRRU (Dirt Rolling Resistance Units) more than the 2.35 NN.

Dude what People dont seem to love the 2.6 NN. If you dont believe them, give it a try for yourself. Maybe you'll like it. The source you provided seems to find it slow.

I dont find the rolling resistance drum tests all that accurate anyway. They havent matched up with my experience. For example, the 2.35 NN tests at 20w of rolling resistance. The raceking tests at 22w at the same pressure... thats insanity, the RK is *way* faster, and they're calling it 10% slower.

As much as I like making data driven decisions in general, the test methods need to be sound... I dont feel we have sound testing, so a few decent riders telling me a tire "feels" quick unfortunately holds more weight than a simulated lab test.
    Ha!
    Ya those lab tests seem pretty inaccurate as they don't seem to account for either weight or the reality that trails are not perfectly flat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So many factors.
    Simislick on hardpack=FAST!
    Simislick on loam= painfully slow.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bit of a twist. My front has clearance enough for 2.6 but not the rear! So I went with 2.6 forekaster maxx speed on front and 2.35 nobby nic speed grip on rear... hope that wont feel too strange!

My current bike setup is 2.35 forekaster front and 2.25 rocket ron rear. The jump from 2.35 to 2.6 in all schwalbe is a bit annoying but what can you do.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Outdoor Gear Lab bike articles are written by people who ride scooters.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.