optimal tire width to WTB asym i29?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

optimal tire width to WTB asym i29?

Hi guys.

I got a 2014 Covert 650b, with i29 (29mm internal) WTB rims.
    though the descending is awesome, I feel a bit hard to pedal, especially climbing, and it feels not so "nimble".
    now I run front Scwallbe Magic Marry 2.35, and rear Vee Crown R 2.35.

is it any way to calculate the optimal tire width for getting the max grip I can while not sacrificing the pedal efficiency?

and do you think that by changing tire to about 2.2-2.3 width will change the pedaling efficiency drastically? or it depends solely on the tire?

thanks!

Chris Bling
    From what I have found, a tire of 2.35 or larger is going to be best with an i29 rim. You can go smaller, but you sacrifice handling.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try coffee and bacon, for a faster motor. Running tubeless? Max grip? I never want less traction, ever. Start there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Amit Ifrach View Post
    Hi guys.

I got a 2014 Covert 650b, with i29 (29mm internal) WTB rims.
    though the descending is awesome, I feel a bit hard to pedal, especially climbing, and it feels not so "nimble".
    now I run front Scwallbe Magic Marry 2.35, and rear Vee Crown R 2.35.

is it any way to calculate the optimal tire width for getting the max grip I can while not sacrificing the pedal efficiency?

and do you think that by changing tire to about 2.2-2.3 width will change the pedaling efficiency drastically? or it depends solely on the tire?

thanks!
    You aren't asking the correct question. With that rim width, pretty much any 2.2-2.8 tire will work. It looks like your question is: "I am currently running a Magic Mary 2.35 in the front in (insert here, performance, trailstar, pacestar) and a Vee Crown R.235 in the rear. I mostly ride (insert a description of the terrain you ride, i.e. rocky, loamy, hardpack, mud) and am looking for the holy grail of tires, something lighter that rolls better and doesn't give up any traction (you might want to add if puncture protection is important as it always easy to find a light tire, but puncture resistance goes down with those)."
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    You aren't asking the correct question. With that rim width, pretty much any 2.2-2.8 tire will work. It looks like your question is: "I am currently running a Magic Mary 2.35 in the front in (insert here, performance, trailstar, pacestar) and a Vee Crown R.235 in the rear. I mostly ride (insert a description of the terrain you ride, i.e. rocky, loamy, hardpack, mud) and am looking for the holy grail of tires, something lighter that rolls better and doesn't give up any traction (you might want to add if puncture protection is important as it always easy to find a light tire, but puncture resistance goes down with those)."
    thanks!

so:

I am currently running a Magic Mary 2.35 in the front in trailstar and a Vee Crown R 2.35 in the rear. I mostly ride rocky terrain and sandy terrain (fine sand the slips the tire all the time) and am looking for the holy grail of tires, something lighter that rolls better and doesn't give up any traction with good tire puncture protection.

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The magic mary is a good traction tire, but not always the best roller. I think vee rubber tires are garbage, others have had better experience. I would suggest considering the following tires, but you should look at the threads to see which will work best for you:

Wtb vigilante front, trail boss 2.4 rear.
    Maxxis DHF front and rear in 2.5 wt
    Maxxis ardent race 2.4 front ikon 2.35 rear (exo casing) (faster rolling than dhf at the expense of some grip in the loose, but also no gap in traction when laying them over).
    Michelin Wild'grip 2.35 (non reinforced)
    Geax Morso
    Onza Ibex

All are good tires. Some better in certain conditions than others. Also some reward different riding styles, like the DHF which works well for people that throw the bike on its side, but feels very uncomfortable in the gap between the center and side knobs.

Also, tire pressure is key. In that width rim, the low 20 psi range is probably going to be ideal.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi cary, thanks!

1. "Maxxis DHF front and rear in 2.5 wt" what is wt?

2. I ride about 35-38 PSI because I my weight with all the gear is 92 Kg.
    I remember going lower and the side knobs of my ex tire (schwalbe rock razor) were destroyed pretty quickly... should I go lower? I can actually see the tire getting flat i I sit at about these pressure area (20).

thank you!