mtbr member
    Jan 2012

optimal rim width for maxxis 2.5 ?

any opinions. want move to the 2.5wt and maxxis recommends i35 but looks like the modern standard is i25 to i30 and the pros arnt complaining. any opinions. i might stay with and i23 or i25 rear for the 2.3. not sure here trying to get ready to lace up some rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    any opinions. want move to the 2.5wt and maxxis recommends i35 but looks like the modern standard is i25 to i30 and the pros arnt complaining. any opinions. i might stay with and i23 or i25 rear for the 2.3. not sure here trying to get ready to lace up some rims.
    I’ll let you know. I decided to just go ahead and try it. I just ordered a 2.6 Minion DHF for my i25 carbon front wheel and a 2.5 WT Agressor for my i28.5 rear.

What’s the worst that can happen? I won’t like them and I’ll take them off and sell them. It’s not like my bike will explode or my rim will self destruct with “too big” tires on there, right?

I take the manufacturer’s recommendation as just that. What they feel is optimal. Doesn’t mean it won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This one has had me scratching my head. As you say, modern standard is i25 to i30 and yet maxxis designed these tires around i35. Did maxxis missread the market.

I have a 2.5 wt dhf and agressor that I plan on trying on my i27 rims. Will see how they work ou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just laced up an easton arc30 i30 and a dhf 2.5wt. Post back later after some in depth testing compared to a hr2 2.3 3c on i23's.... I've been a bit of a tire fanatic in past years trying out all kinds.. weirwolfs, panaracer Gracias, cg 4x, dhf's 2.3 and 2.5 single and 3c compound, Trail King black chili 2.25 and 2.4. Ardents, High roller 1 and 2 single and triple compound, chunky monkey smorgasboard, Butcher, wolverine, vigilante, aggressor and dozen other old schools. Some look good but dont work as good as others ... over the years I would say being too round and light bulb-shaped has been more of an issue than too square... but now that rims have finally caught up... It seems things are a changing... Time to try the new. 👍 slight upgrades are never as noticable as a downgrade. Weird how that works.
    Hate to be overthinkin it...just the way i am. I been signifcantly climbing the leaderboard on strava with a recently rekindled fire . Just lookin whatever edges I can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They fit i30 really well. I image i-27 is not going to be that much of a difference how much more could it round the tire you're effectively pulling the tire in 1.5 mm from each side so at maximum it would bring that corner down that much... I think I overthought it but I just didn't know

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    They fit i30 really well
    2.5 DHF WT on the front of both bikes, i30 rims, works great. In fact, pretty much all of my riding buddies have 2.5 DHF WT's on the front of their bikes and run i29-i30 rims.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    2.5 WT DHF on an Enve AM id24 rim...

Not "optimal", but capable nonetheless.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 03-16-2018 at 05:09 PM.