Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Might be why they are slow to bring the new hub to market:

https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/22/ony...heir-own-hubs/
    That is a terrible article, though. They are largely missing the point and wrong about the XD freehubs.

Creating cross compatibility with DT Swiss is brilliant, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option for existing Onyx hubs? I would love to be able to ditch XD and go MicroSpline, I think the freehub body seal to the hubshell could be a problem there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    All I want is a release date! Come on already!

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    That is a terrible article, though. They are largely missing the point and wrong about the XD freehubs.

Creating cross compatibility with DT Swiss is brilliant, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option for existing Onyx hubs? I would love to be able to ditch XD and go MicroSpline, I think the freehub body seal to the hubshell could be a problem there.
    Don't recall on wich article I read it, but it seems you will be able to retrofit it to the old hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Don't recall on wich article I read it, but it seems you will be able to retrofit it to the old hubs.
    Yeah, I kinda thought I might have read it too, but the articles I have seen so far have been mediocre to poor so I won't believe it until I hear it from Onyx. I did just see on their Instagram a little clip of switching freehubs around and it looked like they had some sort of slip on adapter for the freehub sealing issue, so maybe that won't be an issue. The new hubs do use a different axle architecture, but I hope they make the new freehub system universal to their line, that would be fantastic.

Edit- Looking a little closer, the only downside I can see is this new system requires one more bearing than the previous four bearing design, which will eat up a bit of the weight savings. Tha axle is only supported by one bearing other than the freehub driver body, and with that now being a slip fit press together assembly, a second bearing is needed inside the freehub body. Which DT Swiss freehubs already have. The sprag driver is supported by two bearings, the freehub body by two, and the non-drive end of the hubshell by one.

The tolerances must be very good on the DT Swiss freehub splines for this to work well, and the new splined Onyx sprag driver body needs to be a very nice fit into the freehub body. I wonder when Onyx came up with this idea, it's probably got something to do with how long it is taking to get the new hubs out.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    So the new Shimano Spline freebody will also be available to Onyx hubs... Smart ...
    OHHHHHHH! I like to think I'm smart but I couldn't figure out what these articles were implying yesterday. Will be interesting to see if onyx buys drivers from DT and ships hubs complete or if you have to buy one yourself.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    OHHHHHHH! I like to think I'm smart but I couldn't figure out what these articles were implying yesterday. Will be interesting to see if onyx buys drivers from DT and ships hubs complete or if you have to buy one yourself.
    My first thought was "nice! I can use this anti bite freehub on my DTs", then I was "Genius!!!" .
    I think it would be cheaper to us if the hub is shipped with the micro spline freehub, but I seriously doubt it will be that way.
    I'm also curious on what was DT and Shimano position on all this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any update on these new versions yet?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    Any update on these new versions yet?
    Still a few months out. Working out a few kinks before release still
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Wow - 7 pages / 600+ posts later and I am convinced Iíll use an Onyx hub on my next wheelset. Looking forward to seeing the new version of the hubs be released.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just a thought on the new, still unreleased hubs: should one see the continuous postponements as a sign that Onyx is struggling to make them durable? In such a case, maybe the current hub is the one to go for and just live with the weight.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Just a thought on the new, still unreleased hubs: should one see the continuous postponements as a sign that Onyx is struggling to make them durable?
    That's pure speculation. To my knowledge Onyx has never given a firm release date which means it's not been postponed. It simply still under development/testing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    That's pure speculation. To my knowledge Onyx has never given a firm release date which means it's not been postponed. It simply still under development/testing.
    Actually I am not satisfied of the durability of the standard version. I have got 3 sprag clutches destroyed by the plastic cage gone into peaces. There have been water ingress into the hub, and the bearings have been bad after few days of riding in autumn humid climate. The grease needed for the bearings is to light.

Compared to my dtswiss 350 hubs that is still smooth as butter, this is really disappointing. Price and weight difference are astronomical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I wonder if they changed up the design in the middle of development to add DTSwiss/MicroSpline compatibility, and that delayed the entire process? I haven't gone back and looked too hard, but it kind of seems that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    Actually I am not satisfied of the durability of the standard version. I have got 3 sprag clutches destroyed by the plastic cage gone into peaces. There have been water ingress into the hub, and the bearings have been bad after few days of riding in autumn humid climate. The grease needed for the bearings is to light.
    Aww, I read all 7 pages, convincing myself that I'd found my ideal new singlespeed hubs, and then read this

The lack of drag or noise sounded ideal, but for a bike being used all through winter in the UK, weatherproofing is pretty important to me. On a rigid SS, maintenance isn't that high on the agenda....

Obviously not going to be put off by a single comment on the internet, although I am keen to know how others have fared in a less than favourable climate.

mtbr memeber
    I wish I had a longer term review to add, but I've only had mine for months. I ride weekends and have put a good number of dry miles on it. It's only been raining here for a few weeks so I'd say I have several solid winter rain / mud rides on it. I'm terrible at maintenance and put the bike away wet. I haven't opened the hub but I went and spun the wheel and it seems the same as when I got it.

I'm curious about the plastic sprag cage breaking. I hadn't heard about that failure mode. What happens if that part breaks? Pedals spin forward free? Since there's so little anecdotal information about that I take it it doesn't happen much?

This place needs an enema

Soft, spongy engagement.

A few years ago I chimed into this thread to ask if other Onyx owners had experienced what felt like "soft" engagement.

Turns out it was the combination of an 80+ pound bike, 200# rider, tiny gears, steep grades, fat tires, and perfect traction all at once that made it so noticeable. Sort of a perfect storm.

Not a week has gone by without a potential customer reading this thread and then pinging me to ask "How bad is it?"

It isn't bad. Never sad it was, but many chose to take it that way.

This was on my mind this evening while riding some deep, soft snow with my wife. I laced some Onyx hubs for her expedition snowbike this summer, and rode those wheels for the last week+ while she was out of town.

Her first ride on this wheelset was today. She noted (before I had a chance to point it out) that when your rear tire starts to dig in or spin out in deep snow, the un-harsh way the Onyx hub engages means you have a better chance of recovering before the tire buries itself. With a harsh engaging hub the likelihood of digging in is greatly increased.

Append whatever word you want to name this engagement phenomenon. For riding deep, soft, unconsolidated snow I call it "awesome".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement-img_3337.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    I'm curious about the plastic sprag cage breaking.
    Me too. I've not read of any other examples of this failure, yet for one person to have it happen three times makes me think something strange is going on with their particular hub.

My bigger concern regarding these hubs is finding a way to purchase them in the UK

Then deciding on a colour....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    I'm curious about the plastic sprag cage breaking. I hadn't heard about that failure mode. What happens if that part breaks? Pedals spin forward free? Since there's so little anecdotal information about that I take it it doesn't happen much?
    I have got from my LBS talking with Onyx, that the sprag must have been exposed for some kind if contamination. If it has been, that seems strange for me, it need to be some kind of chemicals? Something I have been washing my cassette with? And why should it get into the hub? But if the bearings get exposed for water, and it also gets humidity inside the hub from the non drive side, what my LBS have found, I will guess other fluids can come into the hub too?

I would not been complaining if it not was for the cost, but one sprag clutch is 80USD :-(

So when I am comparing with my DTSwiss hubs at 1/4 of the price, that is butter smooth after a lot of rain and humid weather this autumn, it gets disappointing to see what happened to the Onyx.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    At almost 350 lbs, with Eagle gear ratios, hammering sleep climbs, I've yet to decide if I like the way the onyx engages. Similar to Mikesees experience but maybe even more extreme, I can't say it's a deal killer but it's a very different feel. *****Disclaimer, I've heard nothing but positive reviews from lighter riders, if you are 250+ you probably want to test ride a hub first to see if you like the soft engagement.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'7" and around 230lb. I'd like the hubs to go on a new singlespeed build that I'm planning to use on a 24hr solo race next year. The main selling points of the Onyx to me are the lack of noise & drag. As any singlespeeder knows, you spend a lot of time coasting when you run out of gears, so doing that quietly, with a potential bit of 'free' speed sounds great. I also like the idea of a system that takes a lot of torque, so I don't have to worry about any delicate internals getting smashed while I'm grunting up a steep incline. Fast engagement is good. I'm not fussed about it being instantaneous.

Everything about the Onyx system sounds ideal for my needs, and a worthwhile investment. Reading about larger people than myself putting in a lot of miles on snowbikes has been very encouraging, as I'd really appreciate a hub that can handle adverse conditions over high mileage. I do look after my kit, and have no issue buying the recommended grease, and keeping an eye on things. I guess the main problem is that I suffer quite badly from anxiety, and even the smallest seed of doubt can set the alarm bells ringing.

At this point, I'm probably overthinking things, but I guess a mountain bike forum is as good a place as any to do that

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    A few years ago I chimed into this thread to ask if other Onyx owners had experienced what felt like "soft" engagement.

Turns out it was the combination of an 80+ pound bike, 200# rider, tiny gears, steep grades, fat tires, and perfect traction all at once that made it so noticeable. Sort of a perfect storm.

Not a week has gone by without a potential customer reading this thread and then pinging me to ask "How bad is it?"

It isn't bad. Never sad it was, but many chose to take it that way.

This was on my mind this evening while riding some deep, soft snow with my wife. I laced some Onyx hubs for her expedition snowbike this summer, and rode those wheels for the last week+ while she was out of town.

Her first ride on this wheelset was today. She noted (before I had a chance to point it out) that when your rear tire starts to dig in or spin out in deep snow, the un-harsh way the Onyx hub engages means you have a better chance of recovering before the tire buries itself. With a harsh engaging hub the likelihood of digging in is greatly increased.

Append whatever word you want to name this engagement phenomenon. For riding deep, soft, unconsolidated snow I call it "awesome".

Yup, I think a lot of folks will end up liking the softer engagement.

I rode a bit with Jim, the owner, in Aspen BME this summer and pedaled his bike briefly. I can see that it might have advantages as far as starting traction and the power not hitting as abruptly as a std hub, and he also said the energy stored when it winds up is released into the drivetrain so your not losing any energy with the soft engagement. It's also more durable as far as handling torque vs any other option on the market.

No doubt they will be my next set of hubs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    I'd really like to hear if others have had sprag clutch failures. I've been following these hubs for awhile and have not heard of failures so I'm wonder if failures are super rare. I'm 225 lbs and am generally hard on freehubs. Nothing worse than walking out of the woods...

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    I'd really like to hear if others have had sprag clutch failures. I've been following these hubs for awhile and have not heard of failures so I'm wonder if failures are super rare. I'm 225 lbs and am generally hard on freehubs. Nothing worse than walking out of the woods...

One data point: I've built several dozen Onyx hubs for customers. I also have 3 in the fleet between my wife and I. The oldest of these date back more than 3 years now.

I have yet to hear a single complaint -- not a peep -- from a single customer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    One data point: I've built several dozen Onyx hubs for customers. I also have 3 in the fleet between my wife and I. The oldest of these date back more than 3 years now.

I have yet to hear a single complaint -- not a peep -- from a single customer.
    That makes it all the more bizarre that one single owner has somehow had 3 failed sprags. A particular fault with seals on that one hub, allowing it to be easily contaminated?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am a large rider at 265lbs and 6'2". I have had issues with every hub I have ever owned (I9, HOPE, Shimano, Chinese hubs, and Onyx too) except for Chris King. Granted CK doesn't make a fat bike hub, so apples to oranges applies. But I have split hub shells on both the I9 and Onyx hubs, and both times the manufacturer said the spoke tension was too high which caused this. I have my doubts about this theory, but I cannot verify what spoke tension was, all I know is they were built by two different experienced builders.

I had Onyx rebuild my rear wheel with a new hub, and all has been well. I really prefer riding off trails and through dense woods, meaning the hub sees a lot of really quick torque from quick stabs at the pedal when trying to clear tough terrain. Currently running 30t 11-46 with studded wrathchilds.

meow, meow.
    jonshonda,
    could you post photos of the cracked hub shells, if you still have them around?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    jonshonda,
    could you post photos of the cracked hub shells, if you still have them around?
    Onyx. I misspoke on the Onyx, it was the NDS flange I broke.
    Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement-20170301_172353%5B1%5D.jpg

I9
    Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement-2016-01-26_20.28.38-1%5B1%5D.jpg
    Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement-20160126_194907-1%5B1%5D.jpg

meow, meow.
    Thank you!

The Onyx failure looks like what spoke tension causes indeed. Center-to-flange spacing is symmetric on that hub, so it's perhaps the cutouts which contributed to NDS flange breaking ahead of DS.

The I9 failure looks more like its primary cause is torque from the drivetrain.

Do you have to pass areas of salted snow/ice on your rides? Chlorine containing solution getting on stressed parts can be a factor as well.

Are your rims aluminum or carbon? With the former, spoke tension is reduced at temperatures below the point which they were built at; with the latter, it increases. This is thanks to very different thermal expansion coefficients between aluminum, steel, and carbon.

mtbr member
    Source

Spring for the New MTB hubs "These are the disc compatible BMX hubs for our little rippers. MTB version this spring!"

Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement-onyx.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really want to love a set of these hubs. I've just ordered my new rims, if something doesn't happen soon, I think impatience will get the better of me and I'll just buy 240s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Along the lines of silent hubs, eager to see the scylence hubs in the wild

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567