Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Might be why they are slow to bring the new hub to market:

https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/22/ony...heir-own-hubs/
    That is a terrible article, though. They are largely missing the point and wrong about the XD freehubs.

Creating cross compatibility with DT Swiss is brilliant, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option for existing Onyx hubs? I would love to be able to ditch XD and go MicroSpline, I think the freehub body seal to the hubshell could be a problem there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    All I want is a release date! Come on already!

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    That is a terrible article, though. They are largely missing the point and wrong about the XD freehubs.

Creating cross compatibility with DT Swiss is brilliant, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option for existing Onyx hubs? I would love to be able to ditch XD and go MicroSpline, I think the freehub body seal to the hubshell could be a problem there.
    Don't recall on wich article I read it, but it seems you will be able to retrofit it to the old hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Don't recall on wich article I read it, but it seems you will be able to retrofit it to the old hubs.
    Yeah, I kinda thought I might have read it too, but the articles I have seen so far have been mediocre to poor so I won't believe it until I hear it from Onyx. I did just see on their Instagram a little clip of switching freehubs around and it looked like they had some sort of slip on adapter for the freehub sealing issue, so maybe that won't be an issue. The new hubs do use a different axle architecture, but I hope they make the new freehub system universal to their line, that would be fantastic.

Edit- Looking a little closer, the only downside I can see is this new system requires one more bearing than the previous four bearing design, which will eat up a bit of the weight savings. Tha axle is only supported by one bearing other than the freehub driver body, and with that now being a slip fit press together assembly, a second bearing is needed inside the freehub body. Which DT Swiss freehubs already have. The sprag driver is supported by two bearings, the freehub body by two, and the non-drive end of the hubshell by one.

The tolerances must be very good on the DT Swiss freehub splines for this to work well, and the new splined Onyx sprag driver body needs to be a very nice fit into the freehub body. I wonder when Onyx came up with this idea, it's probably got something to do with how long it is taking to get the new hubs out.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    So the new Shimano Spline freebody will also be available to Onyx hubs... Smart ...
    OHHHHHHH! I like to think I'm smart but I couldn't figure out what these articles were implying yesterday. Will be interesting to see if onyx buys drivers from DT and ships hubs complete or if you have to buy one yourself.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    OHHHHHHH! I like to think I'm smart but I couldn't figure out what these articles were implying yesterday. Will be interesting to see if onyx buys drivers from DT and ships hubs complete or if you have to buy one yourself.
    My first thought was "nice! I can use this anti bite freehub on my DTs", then I was "Genius!!!" .
    I think it would be cheaper to us if the hub is shipped with the micro spline freehub, but I seriously doubt it will be that way.
    I'm also curious on what was DT and Shimano position on all this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any update on these new versions yet?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    Any update on these new versions yet?
    Still a few months out. Working out a few kinks before release still
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567