Onyx Racing Classic Hub MicroSpline Retrofit Kit is here.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Onyx Racing Classic Hub MicroSpline Retrofit Kit is here.

It was a very long time coming, but it's finally here and it's all Onyx, no more DT parts. I've had an XTR cassette sitting in a drawer ready to go for a long time and it will be nice to get it back on the bike, I like my Onyx hub more than the HG+ shifting but it's going to be great to have them both on the bike tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Onyx Racing Classic Hub MicroSpline Retrofit Kit is here.-img_20200627_152312.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Out of curiosity why didn't you like DT Swiss stuff?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grilledcheesetriple View Post
    Out of curiosity why didn't you like DT Swiss stuff?
    It's not really a matter of liking DT stuff, it was Onyx's original way to get MicroSpline compatibility for their hubs. They did not have a license from Shimano to make MicroSpline freehub bodies so they figured out a way to use DT parts. They only did this for their Vesper series hubs, it was never released for the classic hubs. So classic owners were left waiting. They eventually decided to wait until they got the license to produce their own MicroSpline freehub before releasing the classic hubs kit, which is just happening. It's been close to a year since they had first hoped to be able to provide these kits, originally with the DT part but now finally with their own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Ah gotcha. Great explanation thx for that.
    I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do as I'm not happy with my drivetrain. I was just going to get 11spd XT as I have a deore HG freehub but I might as well future proof a little and get microspline but that will involve at least a new back wheel and then a new drivetrain. It all adds up to fast though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Off topic, but does anyone remember when the entirety of MTBR was SURE that Shimano wasn't going to license microspline to ANYONE and was going to shut down the entire wheel aftermarket? I remember, and man that was insane.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I bought the microspline conversion for my Onyx Vesper and didn't like the solution. There was a washer supplied to put behind the driver to keep the seal from dragging on the hub shell which seemed like a stop gap solution so I actually sold it and hoped they would come up with something better.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Off topic, but does anyone remember when the entirety of MTBR was SURE that Shimano wasn't going to license microspline to ANYONE and was going to shut down the entire wheel aftermarket? I remember, and man that was insane.
    Nope, don't recall anyone saying that. Shimano made it very clear that in the beginning it would just be licensed to DT, because they were a development partner, but they planned to give licenses to everyone eventually.

mtbr member
    Installed the kit Saturday night and got a nice ride in on Sunday. No issues, same great ride, better shifting. I guess now I have to think like a Vesper owner and not accidentally knock the freehub/cassette off when the wheel is free from the frame. But it's not quite the same as a Vesper. The only quirk of putting it together is, you definitely need to have the entire axle and hub assembly firmly compressed like it is in the frame before setting the preload cap. I used a spare thru-axle and threaded dropout from my old Smuggler, but you could just stick it in your frame before you put the rotor back on, it's a simple process.