mtbr member
    May 2008

Onyx hub question: silver ring?

My Shimano(HG) 11 speed drive Onyx hub came with a silver ring around the base of the driver (i.e. the thing the cassette slides onto) and an o-ring on top of that. I wasn't sure what the silver ring was for, so I measured the length of my old hub's 11 speed HG driver and compared it to the length of the Onyx hub's HG driver, and the Onyx driver was 1mm longer, so I removed the o-ring, and I installed my 11-40 Shimano cassette on top of the silver ring. The index shifting didn't need any adjustment, so I think the silver ring is a spacer for 11 speed v. 12 speed cassettes, and I think the o-ring was serving as a rubber band. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I found a video that confirms the silver ring is a spacer that goes behind an 11 speed cassette:

I've never installed a cassette that didn't wiggle, and now my cassette doesn't wiggle at all, and I notice the shifting is better. I can also hear my cables rattling with all that silence out back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had the same question, and when I called Onyx at 7pm they answered, Sounds like they build the hub to accommodate a future change in cassette width.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Hope and Bike Hub Store as well.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My black ano Onyx rear hub felt like a lead ingot when I took it out of the box. The hub reminds me of some Soviet era bicycle hub. My previous hub was a beautiful I9 hub. I can't get over the sensation that the Onyx hub makes my bike feel like a Walmart bike because now I can hear my cables rattling and my rear brake (Hope) rubbing. I need the klackity-klack out back to make my bike seem more like a Porsche. The silence is going to take some getting used to.

I don't feel the "soft catch" that some people reported feeling when getting on the pedals. I did some technical riding today, and all I noticed was instant power when I needed it. I think I ratcheted my pedals on one move, but I'm not sure because I didn't hear anything when I tried to back pedal slightly, which was a strange feeling. It felt like I tried to ratchet but that I didn't end up back pedaling enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The spacer for the freehub is because when shimano made road 11-speed they made the cassette body longer. This also means that you can use a road 11-speed cassette if you want to.

Shimano mountainbike 11-speed (and 11/12-speed SRAM NX) uses the old 8-9-10 speed shimano freehub body lenght.

mtbpete
    As others have said, the spacer is for use with a mountain bike 8, 9, 10, or an 11 speed shimano cassette. For a road 11 speed cassette remove the spacer.

Note, If you never had a cassette that didn't wiggle then you needed a spacer on all of those freehubs.