Onyx in COLD weather? Good cold weather hubs?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

Onyx in COLD weather? Good cold weather hubs?

So how well do they work when it gets cold? I mean -20C cold. Pretty much all hubs work well down to -10 -12C or so. But when it gets really cold some of them freeze up and fail to engage 100% as good as when its warmer.

My TP stealths don't like when it gets down to -20C or so, then they sometimes slip and I have 1/4 or more freestroke before it engages. I guess its because of the ATF oil needed for the mech to work. It simply freezes up. Maybe i have about 10-15 or so incidents like this on a 10 mile commute trip.

I've ran shimano slx'es down to -25, -30C and never a problem (but I use very thin oil in the actual mech on these).

How about DT and CK? Anyone have experience with these?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I just received mine for a new build, excellent craftsmanship. Dead silent and instant engagement from spinning them in my hands. Curious as well, but thankfully we rarely hit those temps here and probably wouldn't ride anyway when it is that cold. They have a facebook page, which they respond to message very quick if you want to ask there and they finally have a website up as well.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah I was interested in user experiences. I already have a similar hub and i wanted to know how this one performed.

I usually quit riding when it gets below -25C.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

Workin for the weekend!
    DT's with oil work great in sub zero temps. Use grease and they tighten up...
    Todd :thumbsup:

Magically Delicious
    The trick is using a VERY light oil at those temps. I wouldn't think of any grease until temps are consistently into the upper 60's. As the temps rise, go thicker on the lubricants.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    The trick is using a VERY light oil at those temps. I wouldn't think of any grease until temps are consistently into the upper 60's. As the temps rise, go thicker on the lubricants.
    With my particular hub I have to use ATF, since the roller clutch only works with ATF. My theory of operation is that its a metal to metal non contact type of power transfer since I have not seen any marks from the rollers on the polished freehub And had there been any metal-metal contact I would have seen it. Its a weid hub but it works.

So is anyone using kings or DTs in the cold with success?

The Onyxes also needs some type of specific grease to work. And I wonder if they will have the same slipping problem in the cold.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Give it a try in the fatbike thread, a lot of Onyx user.

Trail Ninja
    Lubrication is one thing, but are you trying to ask about the severe cold (-30 C/-22 F) also affecting the tolerances needed to make the sprag clutch work, especially between different/dissimilar metal surfaces and contact between them involved?

Chris Bling
    I haven't hit quite that cold yet, but my Onyx hubs have not slipped at all on my Surly ICT.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

Braaap
    Brrr, I think I'll stay inside.

As mentioned, the grease/oil in the hub is the largest factor...likely more so than the hubs design.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    With my particular hub I have to use ATF, since the roller clutch only works with ATF. My theory of operation is that its a metal to metal non contact type of power transfer since I have not seen any marks from the rollers on the polished freehub And had there been any metal-metal contact I would have seen it. Its a weid hub but it works.

So is anyone using kings or DTs in the cold with success?

The Onyxes also needs some type of specific grease to work. And I wonder if they will have the same slipping problem in the cold.
    I've been using DT ratchet-based hubs for ~20 years in the cold. For lower-48 temps I don't do anything different summer to winter -- they only get marginally stiffer (bearings) from +100 to -20*f, which is roughly the range I experience in an average year down here.

But I've also been riding in AK almost every winter since 1997. Got a thing with the Iditarod that I haven't yet been able to kick. For that I degrease the ratchets with alcohol and then relube them with whatever my favorite cold weather chainlube is at the time. Lightly -- more or less to prevent them freezing together should water infiltrate. Which it sometimes does. Using that simple method I've ridden comfortably down to -50*f manymanymany times, and -65* twice. Zero issues whatsoever.

I recently built a wheel for a fatbike with 177 rear spacing, and since DT doesn't (yet?) make 177, I gave Onyx a try. Coldest temp that wheel has seen yet is +15*f, and it spun noticeably slower than at warmer temps. Talking bearings here -- didn't notice any change in engagement.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'm kinda half way invested in a dt 240 rear now. Gonna get the steel freehub, 36poe ratchet and the special spline service tool. Will be running it as my winter rear on my new build (cx-commuter). Well see how it goes. I like that I will be able to get spares for it like 2km away in a real store. and not half a globe away.

Specialized sucks ass.