Nukeproof ARD inserts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Nukeproof ARD inserts

Just got these in the mail, will try installing one in the rear this weekend

Couple of initial unboxing reactions

1) Super light: Currently have a Huck Norris, and from what I recall its very close in weight

2) Dense Foam: Nothing like a pool noodle or Huck, it appears to be high durometer- scientific fingernail poke

Ill report back on install and seating

Nukeproof ARD inserts-p5pb16645710.jpg

Nukeproof ARD inserts-p5pb16645709.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Eager to hear updates.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Curious to hear where you purchased them? I have been eyeing these as well. Seems like a great middle ground between cushcore and huck norris. Hopefully, with the benefits of both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    Curious to hear where you purchased them? I have been eyeing these as well. Seems like a great middle ground between cushcore and huck norris. Hopefully, with the benefits of both.
    Got them from Chainreactioncycles on the release day

Excited to see the benefits

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    please let us know tires, rims, and your install experience, along with ride quality, differences, etc. thanks.

Hitching a ride
    Looks like the tire would be compressing them under smooth conditions which isn't good for rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I wanted to order and compare to cushcore, but seems all 29ers are sold out...nukeproof said a large run is coming mid- to late January. My uninformed assumption is that they wont provide the same level of sidewall supposed as the cushcore, but the lower weight would be attractive on my lighter "aggressive trail" bike. Or, on my big rig I thought I might also try and see how I like on the front, dropping 2-3psi, where I dont need as much protection or side wall support.

Surprised I'm not seeing more posts and reviews...they must not have made many on their first run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd love to know how much sidewall support these provide and if they actually do shrink down onto the rim like they claim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Looks like the tire would be compressing them under smooth conditions which isn't good for rolling resistance.
    Nukeproof ARD inserts-mg_2141.jpg

To me they look about the right size profile where they will not be riding on the tire at all. Much lower profile than the Vittoria Airliners, that look way too big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I'd love to know how much sidewall support these provide and if they actually do shrink down onto the rim like they claim.
    I doubt at all they are going to provide much sidewall support. If you think about it the whole thing is going to shrink all the way around, you are putting 20 pounds per square inch pressure on them all they way around. If anything they are probably becoming a little looser?

But looks like they are going to provide great rim strike protection and last/hold up, at a good weight and price.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_2141.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	1229060

To me they look about the right size profile where they will not be riding on the tire at all. Much lower profile than the Vittoria Airliners, that look way too big.
    ok, perhaps that is true. Good pic. I'd give them a try for like $20.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I doubt at all they are going to provide much sidewall support. If you think about it the whole thing is going to shrink all the way around, you are putting 20 pounds per square inch pressure on them all they way around. If anything they are probably becoming a little looser?

But looks like they are going to provide great rim strike protection and last/hold up, at a good weight and price.
    That's not what they claim though, I'm skeptical but if they prove to be what they claim then I'm on-board. Until then I'll stick with Pepi's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Still no user feedback on these things? What, did they sell like 7 of them in their first run...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    They're currently out of stock so I guess they sold a lot. I'm keen to give them a try due to Pepi's tire noodle being hard get in Australia without paying huge amounts on postage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any updates on this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah , some real world user reviews would be good. Otherwise I contacted nuke proof and they said large quantities will be available mid to late January.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    apparently either no one has used them, or they are so underwhelmed with the performance, they aren't interested in sharing their experience here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    apparently either no one has used them, or they are so underwhelmed with the performance, they aren't interested in sharing their experience here.
    Or they're just too busy out shredding to post online about it 🤷*♂️

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I haven't had a chance to install them yet, too much holiday time..

Sometime soon..

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I read a couple of reviews about this and one somewhat negative point is that they eventually swell, meaning get bigger in circumference. A couple of reviewers said that because it was bigger inside the tire, the liners started rattling inside the tire. If this were true then I would suspect that the ARD liner started absorbing the sealant.

It would be nice to get more feedback regarding this but not a lot were sold and there is little if any feedback on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I wonder if these inserts can be used in i40 rims? I like the price, compared to Vittoria Air-liners that I was going to use this season to protect set of 29+ carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    I read a couple of reviews about this and one somewhat negative point is that they eventually swell, meaning get bigger in circumference. A couple of reviewers said that because it was bigger inside the tire, the liners started rattling inside the tire. If this were true then I would suspect that the ARD liner started absorbing the sealant.

It would be nice to get more feedback regarding this but not a lot were sold and there is little if any feedback on them.
    I'm pretty sure they would compress in every direction from the pressure, not swell, and that woudn't really indicate they absorb sealant.

I just bought a set as they're back in stock and if I have strong feelings either way I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

I also read this which goes completely against the claims of Nukeproof that the ARD actually shrinks down onto the rim. This would mean absolutely no sidewall or tyre bead support which loses my interest straight away. Just purchased a Pepi's Tire Noodle Rokkline after weighing up the cost between that and a Vittoria Air Liner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I also read this which goes completely against the claims of Nukeproof that the ARD actually shrinks down onto the rim. This would mean absolutely no sidewall or tyre bead support which loses my interest straight away. Just purchased a Pepi's Tire Noodle Rokkline after weighing up the cost between that and a Vittoria Air Liner.
    Its foam and it is under 20+ PSi (pounds per square inch) so it is going to shrink. The question is does it tighten around the rim when it shrinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DDBFovht0

mtbr member
    Its foam and it is under 20+ PSi (pounds per square inch) so it is going to shrink. The question is does it tighten around the rim when it shrinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DDBFovht0
    My pea brain says it should shrink (compress) in every direction as the pressure is not directional. This would mean it does NOT shrink onto the rim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If purchasers are saying that it's rattling around loose inside the tyre then I'm inclined to believe them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    My pea brain says it should shrink (compress) in every direction as the pressure is not directional. This would mean it does NOT shrink onto the rim.
    I am inclined to think that it does both. Shrinks in circumference around rim and in diameter, and is probably a wash and does not tighten around rim much.

They still look like the best lightest inserts out there when compared to the others. Vittoria are too big and expensive, Cush Core too heavy, HuckNorris does not look like it provides much of any protection and the Pepi noddle looks like it wont provide much protection or last very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah, given price and weight, I was hoping it would be best for anybody needing to pedal expeditiously, otherwise, Cushcore is going to be hard to unseat in regards to rim protection and sidewall support; but heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pepi's is the answer you seek. It's light, inexpensive, durable, prevents rim strikes, and greatly firms up the tire sidewalls.
    Been running them for months now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Been waiting 3 months for these ARD inserts to become available. Tired of waiting on vaporware. I'm going to spend double for one Vittoria liner now and it's design appears inferior to the ARD. Bummed Nukeproof couldn't get this launch right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Check out the rimpact! Seems as good as the name.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Been waiting 3 months for these ARD inserts to become available. Tired of waiting on vaporware. I'm going to spend double for one Vittoria liner now and it's design appears inferior to the ARD. Bummed Nukeproof couldn't get this launch right.
    They were back in stock at Chainreaction for a few days and I was able to get them.

They are out of stock again so you just missed it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mykle View Post

Wow. On paper, I'm sold. Light enough to be used on a trail bike...for smashing rock gardens, i'd happily run a 900g tire and one of these instead of a 1000g tire. I might have to get one to compare against Cushcore.

mtbr member
    I would second this, I am happy with them so far, light, cheap and what seems to be an effective profile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

But a better name would have been Rimjob

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Alas, they don't have plus sizes (same as Nukeproof ARD) I've ordered PNT inserts (really wanted Air-liners but couldn't justify the price).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They were back in stock at Chainreaction for a few days and I was able to get them.

They are out of stock again so you just missed it.
    Ughh. I had myself on the email notification list and check almost daily!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Link? Google not helping on 'rimpact'

Edit...nevermind, Google was my friend afterall
    Last edited by dodger; 02-25-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Package arrived today, ARD's install easily, without tire levers too. I think they will help with burping also as they hold the sidewalls out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner1 View Post
    Package arrived today, ARD's install easily, without tire levers too. I think they will help with burping also as they hold the sidewalls out.
    Same experience although first wheel took a while to install until I discovered how to do it properly. Second wheel took less than five minutes and did not even use any Levers. My rims are Enve M525 and my tires are Bonty XR4 2.4.

Excited to try them on the trails with lower pressures. I normally put 25 psi on my tires and sometimes I feel I Need less. Will bring them down to mayb 22 or 21 and see what they feel.

mtbr member
    What internal rim width are you running?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What internal rim width are you running?
    35 mm, front and 31 mm, rear

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_2141.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	1229060

I installed them the opposite way, large bulb on the outside, short bulb on the inside. I want the insert to push on the bead to create stability and burp prevention. Also, it's highly unlikely to rattle around as mentioned.

Rode it today in rear with regular pressure and didn't notice much difference for obvious reasons, but the density of the foam definitely seems like it'll help prevent rim strikes. Impressive so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Had a look and these look really good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes. Ive installed two on my Firebird 29. Easy to install and quality seems great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    First ride on the ARD's front and rear. I started out running 2 psi less front and rear. On my first descent I had a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals. The ARD's made the ride harsh and out of control. Second descent I removed 2 more psi for a total of 4 psi. Completely different experience from my first descent on the ARD'S. The ride was smooth with tons of grip and on hard hits I could feel the tire bottoming out on the insert. Bottoming out on the insert is a very firm feeling but not harsh. When running this low of psi the side knobs to contact the ground when riding in a straight line. So far I'm feeling pretty good about the ARD's. I was running Huck Norris inserts. They were good. They saved my rims from being destroyed but not from dings. Also the Huck Norris inserts would get sliced up after a few months and would need to be discarded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by George42 View Post
    First ride on the ARD's front and rear. I started out running 2 psi less front and rear. On my first descent I had a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals. The ARD's made the ride harsh and out of control. Second descent I removed 2 more psi for a total of 4 psi. Completely different experience from my first descent on the ARD'S. The ride was smooth with tons of grip and on hard hits I could feel the tire bottoming out on the insert. Bottoming out on the insert is a very firm feeling but not harsh. When running this low of psi the side knobs to contact the ground when riding in a straight line. So far I'm feeling pretty good about the ARD's. I was running Huck Norris inserts. They were good. They saved my rims from being destroyed but not from dings. Also the Huck Norris inserts would get sliced up after a few months and would need to be discarded.
    What tyres and tyre pressure are you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    if they get loose over time, would running 27.5 size on a 29 wheel solve that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What pressures were you running before and after? Was it a 35 reduced to a 32, or a 25 reduced to a 22? It would be much easier to relate and understand your experience if we know those pressures?

Also, donít you use clipless pedals, or were you using flat pedals?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    if they get loose over time, would running 27.5 size on a 29 wheel solve that?
    I considered this and was actually planning to get a 27.5 ARD set to see if they would fit on my 29 wheel. But after getting my 29 ARD set, I cannot imagine forcing a 27.5 ARD on my 29 wheel. It would be a really really tight fit - probably enough to tear the ARD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Front: DHR II 2.6. 13psi. Rear: DHR II 2.4 18psi. Both are 3c exo. Flat pedals. 2018 Trek Remedy. Weight: 155lbs.
    Last edited by George42; 03-05-2019 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I installed these on my 27.5 We Are One Agents. Install was not too bad. First ride the one in the front tire(Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT, 28 psi) was rattling so badly I stopped because I thought something was wrong with my fork. I took the front wheel off and shook it and the insert is loose as hell. No issue with the one in the rear (Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT DD, 30psi) though. I am just going to take it out as it is annoying as hell on the trail. I may cut it down to make it a bit smaller and glue it back together. Maybe they accidentally put a 29 in the box by mistake. The valve stems suck, one is longer that the other, very hard to get a good seal and keep them tight. The inserts do not shrink to the wheel or compress. They have been in my wheels for over a month. I may just pull them out and get Cushcore. I will pay extra for something that is made well and works.
    Last edited by NMStrick; 03-05-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Adding details

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't believe these fit in a manner where they would really do anything at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    They definitely do something. Very good rim protection. Very hard to get a rim strike with 0 psi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I don't believe these fit in a manner where they would really do anything at all.

I think you're missing the point. Inserts can do many things: rim protection, damping, sidewall burping, run flat. Some do some of these things at the expense of installation/removal hassle. The CC comes to mind as a race solution that is a nightmare for everyday trail use. These ARDs are aimed at rim protection and ease of use at the expense of less sidewall support or run flat solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMStrick View Post
    I installed these on my 27.5 We Are One Agents. Install was not too bad. First ride the one in the front tire(Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT, 28 psi) was rattling so badly I stopped because I thought something was wrong with my fork. I took the front wheel off and shook it and the insert is loose as hell. No issue with the one in the rear (Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT DD, 30psi) though.
    There are feasibly two different ways to install the inserts (see pic above). The fact that one rattles and one does not makes me think you probably have the front installed with the large bulb toward the rim (see pic/post above).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    They are both installed with the large bulb toward the rim as it was shown in the instructions. I will try flipping the front one around to see if it makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Front: DHR II 2.6. 13psi. Rear: DHR II 2.4 18psi. Both are 3c exo. Flat pedals. 2018 Trek Remedy. Weight: 155lbs.
    No wonder you had rim strikes. Those would fold over like crazy on any high G corner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, I'm gonna wait for a few more reviews to come in before I try the ARDs. My Rimpact inserts just arrived. Weighed one at 88 grams...so very light. But I am a firm subscriber to "no free lunch" . These are a definite compromise compared to the Cush core which are exactly 3 times the weight according to my scale. Pinching the material on Rimpact with my finger at the point where the rim lip would strike I can feel my fingertips if I Pinch hardÖ not the case at all with Cush core which is significantly more dense/firm. My guess is that it will provide about half the rim strike resistance or protection compared to cushcore... Same with Sidewall support. For those that want ultimate protection I'm sure there is still no beating cush coreÖ for those that want a lightweight alternative for "peddaly" bikes...that provides a decent amount of protection, I suspect this will be a great option for them. I definitely will not drop my pressure by 5 or 6PSI and blast through rock gardens like I did on the Cush core... A couple PSI maybe.

My guess is that the ARDs and Rimpacts will provide similar levels of protection, but just a hunch.

The holy grail of rim protection and minimal weight will need to be a dual density design...light weight material in the center (like Rimpact) with outer "wings" of a material more like Cushcore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    \Pinching the material on Rimpact with my finger at the point where the rim lip would strike I can feel my fingertips if I Pinch hardÖ
    You definitely couldn't do that with ARD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Here is a link to a curb test I did with the ARD. https://youtu.be/hbEOXGpGOKM

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Ordered cushcore for rear and was considering ARD as lightweight solution for front wheel, but after all these rattling complaints Rimpact seems to be better option. And it's lighter too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I installed them the opposite way, large bulb on the outside, short bulb on the inside. I want the insert to push on the bead to create stability and burp prevention. Also, it's highly unlikely to rattle around as mentioned.

Rode it today in rear with regular pressure and didn't notice much difference for obvious reasons, but the density of the foam definitely seems like it'll help prevent rim strikes. Impressive so far.

I am seriously thinking about doing what you did and installing them the opposite way. How are yours Holding up? Any updates.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Here is a link to a drop test.
    https://youtu.be/PSaMUcE4dQU

mtbr member
    I am seriously thinking about doing what you did and installing them the opposite way. How are yours Holding up? Any updates.
    Still too early to tell, not enough fast passes/challenging trails ridden yet. I did however ride today on a trail that has a fair amount of new smallish square/spine edge embedded rocks popping out due to SoCal rains and while I got a little ping strike on my front wheel (no insert), no issues with rear with insert.

I dropped around 3 psi in the rear and was worried about burping as well as potential strikes but no issues. The dirt was pretty tacky and I specifically cut inside and pushed hard late through a few berms and all was good... in fact the rear felt really plush today to the point where I thought I had lost pressure a couple times. Whether it was just the pressure drop or perhaps the insert actually has a little damping... not sure as I'm pretty mental about consistent psi settings.

for reference: 200lbs
    Rear: 30 internal 2.4 DHR2 Exo 26psi usually around 28-29
    Front: 30 internal 2.5 DHF DD 26psi (not running insert)

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'm getting the rattle. Sounds like cutting/reglueing them is a potential solution that's perhaps long term. Disappointing.

Robertson
    Honestly the insert I've had the best luck with is the Vittoria airliner which doesn't seem to get much press. I've run Cushcore quite a bit and still destroyed rims with it (twice actually), never heard so much as a ding with the airliner. Was interested in the ARDs as maybe a light weight solution for the front wheel but as mentioned above the rattling complaints give me pause...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by prosto_mtb View Post
    Ordered cushcore for rear and was considering ARD as lightweight solution for front wheel, but after all these rattling complaints Rimpact seems to be better option. And it's lighter too.
    I think this is the ticket. Or Rimpact in the rear for anyone not needing maximum protection and appreciating a little more pedal-friendly weight. Unfortunately I'm coming off a recent surgery so I havent been able to really push the Rimpact yet. Foe me the cushcore was bomb proof...I'd sometimes run just 18 PSI in rocky areas and literally monster truck rock gardens full tilt (at times feeling "soft" rim impacts), and upon removal you could literally see dozens of dents in the cushcore and never did in damage the carbon rim...but I'm only 150lbs. I've not tried that with Rimpact...not sure I'd want to run the risk, but maybe 21 or 22 PSI.

I've not tried the Airliner, so I cant offer any comparison there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I can hear them rattling in the front wheel, 36 mm width, DHF 2.5WT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sounds like they do nothing at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm looking forward to trying the lighter weight XC version of the Cushcore in my trail bike. Between the rimpact At 90 g and the 2 versions of Cushcore at 150 g and 265 g, we should have all bases covered....
    Last edited by RAG2; 04-22-2019 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    At the 2:30 mark in this review/vid they show the ARD insert that has been in for a while and show it stretched out a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZGIFDukIU

My two sets should be in today and will be installing later this week.

Planning on cutting it down a bit (superglue and twist tie back together) and make it a tight snap on fit with the large bump/bulge facing up.

This will probably make it a bit harder to mount the tire, but should stop any rattling and hopefully provide some/better sidewall support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    At the 2:30 mark in this review/vid they show the ARD insert that has been in for a while and show it stretched out a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZGIFDukIU

My two sets should be in today and will be installing later this week.

Planning on cutting it down a bit (superglue and twist tie back together) and make it a tight snap on fit with the large bump/bulge facing up.

This will probably make it a bit harder to mount the tire, but should stop any rattling and hopefully provide some/better sidewall support.
    Try shoegoo for gluing it back together. It's a silicon-type glue that's hard to beat for gluing rubber, plastic and cloth materials.

mtbr member
    My two 29er ARD sets came in this week and got them installed on both my XC/Trail bike and All Mnt rig.

Cut them both down about 1 inch and super glued/twist tied back together to make them nice and tight fit around the rims to prevent any rattling issues. The original size really not that tight of a fit and thinking that the 27.5 size could easily be used on 29 wheels.

Installation was not that hard. Seated/beaded the tire first so had one side beaded before installing the ARDs. Was going to put on with the large bulge facing up for added bead/sidewall support. But that would trap the sealant flow, so installed them with the large bulge down.

Tested them on some large curbs with low psi and have one ride with them on my XC/Trail bike so far. Dropped psi down front and rear by about 4 PSI (18F and 21R) which is about low as I could go with out tires feeling squirmy.

They seem to work very well, the foam is fairly stiff/dense (impact resistant) and seems can take quite a impact. Was intentionally hitting every large square edge/crap line I could find at speed with my XC/Trail bike and never once heard a rim ding .

mtbr member
    1. What kind of glue do you use?
    2. How much do you recommend cutting them down to prevent rattling over time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    1. What kind of glue do you use?
    2. How much do you recommend cutting them down to prevent rattling over time?
    I used Gorilla glue. I cut about 2" out. 2 weeks later I noticed the insert stretched (compressed?) even further and I could take about 1-1.5" out if I wanted. I have no idea how long this will continue.

mtbr member
    Gorilla glue as Dodger dog mentioned. Mock up on rim while it's cut measuring overlap.

I just took mine out a few months after removing around 2 1/2 inches... still tight enough not to bother with another cut/splice fortunately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Been a while that Ive been on here....and still dont have them installed

Not happy to hear that there is a rattle...

mtbr member
    Did shortening it cure the rattle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Did shortening it cure the rattle?
    It did for me. Seems to have stretched a little bit more over course of a few months but not enough to rattle.

mtbr member
    Iíve got two sets now.. Cheap enough compared to my Cushcore experience!
    Got one set when CRC first dropped them and second set 6 months later from Wiggle.
    Initially I was super impressed with install being easy as. (DT XM481 27.5 rims) and ride comfort positive and provided a somewhat muted feel on the trail.
    I had come from frustratingly difficult to install cushcore which was very supportive as well as muted)
    I run 24psi front and 27psi rear (93kg rider) on fairly rocky trails locally but did also ride the whole Trans NZ race with no flats or issues in extreme varieties of trail with ARD front and back.

The second set seem to be slightly different in size (larger) not sure whether intentional?
    The valves are still nice and easy to install, seem to hold air ok and have had no probs with. Both same size too as opposed to a previous reviewer..

The second set are installed in Derby 35mm carbon rims and they are NOISY!! There is a little bit of a rattle as the insert moves around in the alloy DT Swiss rims, but the carbon rims it is off putting how loud they are.. kind of reminds me of flicking your nail on a over inflated soccer ball or basket ball..

Imagine that noise every bump you ride over!

I have also sustained a sidewall and tyre ending rock strike to a front wheel while using ARD on my alloy rims. So not as supportive or protective of tyre insert as I first thought. Although potentially nothing could have saved the tyre from said rock...

Overall still happy with rim protection of these inserts but will be contacting Nukeproof to see if they have tightened their game to make the inserts fit more snug..

Happy Trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Recently bought and installed the ARD's and have been having a ton of issues with slow leaks from my tubeless tires. First problem was that the ARD valves didn't seem to seal again my rims (Stans Flow MK3) so I bought some Cush Core valves to replace them. I think these valves work better but I am still having mysterious slow leaks from my tires. It's bizarre too - one day it will be the front tire leaking and the rear tire is fine, next day is vice versa. Yesterday I rode the bike park for the whole day and the tires were fine, but then one tire went flat on the drive home. Very bizarre, especially since I never had any issues with tubeless prior to now. Not sure if this problem is somehow related to the ARD's or if it's just a coincidence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    Recently bought and installed the ARD's and have been having a ton of issues with slow leaks from my tubeless tires. First problem was that the ARD valves didn't seem to seal again my rims (Stans Flow MK3) so I bought some Cush Core valves to replace them. I think these valves work better but I am still having mysterious slow leaks from my tires. It's bizarre too - one day it will be the front tire leaking and the rear tire is fine, next day is vice versa. Yesterday I rode the bike park for the whole day and the tires were fine, but then one tire went flat on the drive home. Very bizarre, especially since I never had any issues with tubeless prior to now. Not sure if this problem is somehow related to the ARD's or if it's just a coincidence.
    Check your rim strips. I had some leakage issues that I traced to the insert beating the crap out of the tape and raising an area that allowed air to escape a spoke hole. Almost guarantee that's the issue. You'll need to remove your tape, thoroughly clean and dry and retape. I'm using Gorilla tape as the Stan's tape isn't sticky enough to use with these inserts IMHO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check your rim strips. I had some leakage issues that I traced to the insert beating the crap out of the tape and raising an area that allowed air to escape a spoke hole. Almost guarantee that's the issue. You'll need to remove your tape, thoroughly clean and dry and retape. I'm using Gorilla tape as the Stan's tape isn't sticky enough to use with these inserts IMHO.
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I've re-taped one of the rims with gorilla tape and that rim was working well. I've actually already re-taped the other last night but haven't reassembled the tire/inserts yet so glad to hear that this will likely resolve the issue.

EDIT - I re-taped the 2nd rim and they both seem to be holding air properly now. Thanks for the tip dodger!
    Last edited by bull_dozer; 08-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.

fraid of heights
    Well bummer, but thanks for everyone posting their experience with these inserts...

mtbr member
    Ghetto Shortening - Rattle Silencer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    Ghetto Shortening - Rattle Silencer

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Any more pics you can include to show how it's done?

mtbr member
    Any more pics you can include to show how it's done?

haha - I couldnít upload more than one at a time and got carried away! forgot where I was up to!

mtbr member
    haha - I couldnít upload more than one at a time and got carried away! forgot where I was up to!

FYI,
    Should have super glued it along with the twist tie.

Probably still might rattle, mine does a little after taking a good inch out.

Issue is the foam while being "close cell" still absorbs air and whole insert slowly expands.

So fix is to let all the air our of your tires for good two days and it will shrink back down but expands again after a few days.

Basically going to need to let all the air out of your tires after every ride if you don't want them to expand and rattle.

mtbr member
    FYI,
    Should have super glued it along with the twist tie.

Probably still might rattle, mine does a little after taking a good inch out.

Issue is the foam while being "close cell" still absorbs air and whole insert slowly expands.

So fix is to let all the air our of your tires for good two days and it will shrink back down but expands again after a few days.

Basically going to need to let all the air out of your tires after every ride if you don't want them to expand and rattle.
    Cheers - I wonít be doing that..

Iíll see how it goes and if itís rattle free Iíll glue it..

The ARD absorbed 80ml of Muc Off Sealant in about two weeks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey folks,

After using these for a season, I thought it'd be useful to share my thoughts in the form of a quick review. Feel free to agree or disagree with my assessment - it is what it is.

For background, I do the majority of my riding in the rough and natural trails of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. As such, rear wheels don't tend to last an entire season and the promises of an insert are especially appealing. While the cost of a more expensive insert, such as Cushcore, is certainly justified, rolling the dice on a cheaper option seemed a no-brainer.

With that in mind, I gave the Nukeproof ARDs a run for the majority of a season and my overall conclusion is: mostly useless.

Let me explain what I mean by that. Other inserts make claims of increased dampening, sidewall support, and rim defense. In my experience, the Nukeproof ARD provides only a bit of that last claim, and nothing at all for the others.

Nukeproof claims you can run lower pressures without the risk of wrecking your rim and this, for many of us, is a huge potential perk. But in practice, I wouldn't recommend running lower pressures with the ARD. Sure, you get some rim defense for direct hits on the wheel, but because the ARD provides absolutely nothing in the way of sidewall support, you will soon find yourself rolling the tire over in high-speed corners or even tearing it off the rim. I experienced the former directly, and it led to a pretty bad wreck. As such, I found I could NOT reduce working pressure in the rear wheel without compromising safety and performance.

Speaking of lower pressures, I also did not notice any appreciable dampening effect when using the ARD. The foam itself is much harder than what you'll find in a Cushcore, which explains why. It just takes up volume and that's it.

Like others, my ARDs grew in size as I used them and rattled around in the wheels. And really, how much support are you gaining in the wheel from something that just loosely flops around? Fairly aggravating and, imo, not worth the hassle of correcting for the minimal gains in protection. Also, running the ARDs is the only time I experienced issues with sealant. My sealant would regularly dry out and need replacement - something that I had never had an issue with before.

So, in conclusion, get the ARD if you need a bit of rim protection when flatting, but that's about it. You can't realistically run lower pressures without compromising the stability of your wheel. There are tangible benefits to tire inserts, but the ARD gives you about half of a single benefit. In the end, the ARD resulted in a heavier wheel at the same pressure where I was still wrecking rims. Not great, Bob.

In short, you get what you pay for and, by comparison, something overpriced like Cushcore is worth every penny.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've used mine for a season as well. I mostly agree with your observations some comments:

1) Yes they loosen up, a simple cut and reglue will cure that. Concurrently you will get some sidewall support but nowhere near CC

2) They very much saved my rear rim. I too was denting aluminum rims without an insert and these have stopped that.

3) Is CC a more complete solution...perhaps. But it is also a right PITA to remove. On my >35mm size, it was downright impossible trailside. For me, CC represents a race solution, not an everyday trail solution. The increased damping and lower pressure are not high on my totem pole. Rim protection is paramount for me.

4) My sealant doesn't dry any faster, at least i didn't notice.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I'm damn happy with my ARDs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Glad they're working out for you =). For the price, it's certainly not a bad idea for people to try and see if they fit the bill.

mtbr member
    The increased damping and lower pressure are not high on my totem pole. Rim protection is paramount for me.
    Agree with Dodgy.

I wouldn't mind sidewall support and damping but extending service life of rim is key. They do a decent job of it at a fairly low weight penalty.

If lowering tire pressure is a goal, this isn't the solution for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Agreed that it's a solution for rim protection (albeit, lesser protection than some more robust inserts in my own experience). If that's what you're after, then it's a cheap and light way to accomplish that goal!

Thanks for the additional insights.