Novatech side caps d541sb- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Novatech side caps d541sb

Anyone know if Novatech d881 side caps will fit d541sb hubs? I placed an order for these but the supplier said all he had were d881's and would send them but he wasn't sure they would fit.

Any ideas? Or if not, any idea where I can find these, preferably from someone who can ship them quickly? All I could find was aliexpress.com, some chinese web site and they apparently take weeks to ship stuff, and they didn't even have these.

Also what the eff with hubs that have wider side caps than normal... trying to swap my pike for a fox 36 and the ****ing hub doesn't fit? WTF kind of bullshit is this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Also what the eff with hubs that have wider side caps than normal... trying to swap my pike for a fox 36 and the ****ing hub doesn't fit? WTF kind of bullshit is this?
    I dunno about your other questions, but could that fox 36 be boost spacing while your pike is non-boost (or vice-versa)?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

damned rocks...
    They are called Torque caps, and you have to thanks Sram for it .
    They pretty much are 15mm thru-axe caps with the outside diameter of 20mm thru-axle cap. All in the name of more stiffness.
    If a hub has Torque caps, usually it also has normal 15mm thru-axle caps available.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well **** sram and their torque caps. Yes I know there are caps available, the problem is finding a distributor that well sell them to me. I might have to talk to santa cruz to see if they have some they can sell me.

damned rocks...
    I did a quick search and I am a little confused.

Is your fork a 15mm thru-axle or a 20mm thru-axle?

You can get your caps here for a 100mm x 15mm thru-axle.

damned rocks...
    Forgot the link .

Link: https://r2-bike.com/NOVATEC-Conversi...Thru-Axle-QR15

Also, I am starting to think that you may have a Boost fork as, Shadow4eva mentioned.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    They are both boost forks. 15mm axle. Coming from a pike, the side caps have a larger diameter than what the fox 36 will take. So looking for 110 x 15mm side caps.
    Last edited by kpdemello; 11-05-2017 at 04:47 AM.

damned rocks...
    I was just making sure you weren't wasting money by getting the wrong caps.

On the Novatech catalog your hub only comes as Boost, so it's a 110mm x 15mm, and no Torque caps available.

The same hub, but in 100mm has all kinds of end caps, and the 15mm caps seem to be the same.
    I don't know if Novatech has a good client support, but you could start by asking them if the 15mm end caps from the D541SB are compatible with the D541SB-B15, that's your hub.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have torque caps. My current fork is a pike. I'm looking for the non torque caps so I can mount my Fox 36.

I found a vendor, probikehubs.com, that has 881 side caps but the vendor isnt sure they will fit the 541. Annoying. Wish iknew sram was trying to pull this vendor lock in bullshit before i purchased the bike.

damned rocks...
    I would start by asking Novatec directly.

EMAIL: [email protected]
    TEL: +1 951 225 4514

You can use normal 15mm end caps with Torque forks. And normally if a hub has Torque caps, they also have normal 15mm.
    So normally you aren't really locked.
    Give them a call, I'm sure they will sort you out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks aglo!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    And probikehubs.com is now telling me that there are no side caps for this hub that fit 110x15mm forks without torque caps. That is absolute bullshit.

I am still waiting to hear back from Novatec to see if there is a solution available. This is pretty ridiculous if you asked me. One should be able to swap out the front fork without having to change out the entire front hub.

As an aside, the guy at probikehubs.com did his best to be helpful, and I would recommend them for this sort of thing, he just apparently did not have what I needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You might also try emailing Bdop cycling (BDop Cycling Co)

They sell Novatec hubs and I've bought several 541 hubs from them in the past and they carry parts for their hubs. I've always found them to be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    And probikehubs.com is now telling me that there are no side caps for this hub that fit 110x15mm forks without torque caps. That is absolute bullshit.

I am still waiting to hear back from Novatec to see if there is a solution available. This is pretty ridiculous if you asked me. One should be able to swap out the front fork without having to change out the entire front hub.

As an aside, the guy at probikehubs.com did his best to be helpful, and I would recommend them for this sort of thing, he just apparently did not have what I needed.

mtbr member since 1996
    Did you ever find the caps? I'm in the same situation, my Mattoc uses standard caps but the hub has these stupid Torque Caps (original fork is RS Pike). My local shops have no clue and the internet seems equally confused, this thread is the closest thing to an answer I've found.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2008