mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Novatec D411SB/D412SB hubs

Can anybody who's actually built wheels with these chime in? I've seen these mentioned a few times as an option for building a light XC wheelset, but can't find any reviews. They're a good deal lighter than the bikehubstore Bitex hubs (especially the front). I'm looking at these as a possible option for building up a carbon race wheelset for my daughter (NICA high school league), so weight matters (as does price). I've been very happy with the quality of the Novatec D541/D542 hubs, but they're pretty heavy-duty, so a different animal altogether.

mtbpete
    In haven't tried that specific model, but my experience with novatec is that there usually good enough for the average rider or lightweight XC rider. The bearings usually need replacing to better bearings after a year. The pawl system is okay, but can get contaminated fairly easy in wet mud. The bearing size in D411/D412 is big enough for the typical xc rider. I have not had good luck with Bitex rear hubs.

I would choose DT Swiss 350 centerlock hubs over any of these even with regards to price and weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My impression with Novatec is that there's a big difference between their cheaper hubs and their more expensive hubs. I've built three wheelsets with the D541/D542 hubs and not had any issues, including a loaded touring wheelset (with the steel axle) that's been through pretty wretched conditions, including a week of solid rain in the Alps. I know DT Swiss has a great reputation for durability, but I'm not a fan of the low engagement for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Since you are familiar with Bitex, check out BX201FG. It's only 120g for 15mm and 135g with QR endcaps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Cool, thanks for the recommendation. The Novatec D411SB front hub claims to be 91g, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, but it's also a road hub with tiny little bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I wonder if it would work for an XC race wheelset, though? My daughter's pretty light, and the NICA courses are pretty smooth, though some of the training rides are a bit more rocky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Built a set of wheels for my Xc bike 3 years ago and they are still going with no problems. I like them so much that I am using them in a carbon wheel build for my road bike, this set I purchased for $73.00 and free shipping
    Last edited by City spinner; 08-18-2018 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    I used these hubs for my gravel bike wheels. They have been great so far. I'm about 180 lbs. For a light female they would be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've built two xc race wheelsets with the nova 411/412 hubsets. They were both for adults under 80-90kg rider weight and they were both warned about how light the hubs were. They were built in both 27.5 and 29 with Crests mk3 and Sapim Lasers/secure-locks. The 29in set have been thru a season with an adult rider w/o issue. These also come in centerlock btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have these hubs on two of my bikes. They are easy to lace, put the 6 outer drive side spokes in, chose any one of those and place it to the right off the valve hole. The next spoke goes 4 holes over counter clock wise and so all the way around the rim. Then put the six inner spokes drive side in, now with there holes remaining put this spokes in the middle hole. Flip the rim over tho the non drive side and repeat this steps. If you are having trouble with spoke length Go to the Sapim spoke calculator and input the info and required dimension