Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites too small for a big guy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites too small for a big guy?

My name is Steve and I'm a weight weenie. At 6'3" and 195lbs I currently ride Mythos 2.10 tires, primarily in hardpack/dusty/SoCal conditions and do about six races per year. To save weight and benefit from less rolling resistance, I am seriously considering switching to the Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites. My concern is that I am a fairly big guy, as bike racers go, and perhaps this is too small a tire for me. Does anyone have any negative experience with the Nokian's, or other suggestions for someone my size? Should I go with the 2.2's as an alternative? Thanks.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Hi Steve.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Pilot
    My name is Steve and I'm a weight weenie. At 6'3" and 195lbs I currently ride Mythos 2.10 tires, primarily in hardpack/dusty/SoCal conditions and do about six races per year. To save weight and benefit from less rolling resistance, I am seriously considering switching to the Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites. My concern is that I am a fairly big guy, as bike racers go, and perhaps this is too small a tire for me. Does anyone have any negative experience with the Nokian's, or other suggestions for someone my size? Should I go with the 2.2's as an alternative? Thanks.
    ...I'm Fred at 195 with a little lower center of gravity than you.. Been running NBX 2.0 @ 40psi off and on since Dec in Norcal. Haven't had any problems, but I'm not a really agressive rider. Anything over a 2ft drop and I'm walking. Ran them on FS at Sea Otter(hardpack and sandy s-track) and on my SS a few weeks ago in somewhat rocky conditions a they worked great. I just replaced the worn out rear. I think they're fine under certain conditions.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    ...I'm Fred at 195 with a little lower center of gravity than you.. Been running NBX 2.0 @ 40psi off and on since Dec in Norcal. Haven't had any problems, but I'm not a really agressive rider. Anything over a 2ft drop and I'm walking. Ran them on FS at Sea Otter(hardpack and sandy s-track) and on my SS a few weeks ago in somewhat rocky conditions a they worked great. I just replaced the worn out rear. I think they're fine under certain conditions.
    Fred,

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you have had no problems with them. Where did you buy them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No personal exp. but a good friend who's a pretty competitive Expert XC guy had a pair and didn't really care for them. They're real skinny, like a 1.85....

I'm more interested in the new 2.2 or 2.3 Lite version thats supposed to be coming out.

Anybody have info on these???

BTW - My buddy is only 150lbs.....
    I'm 200 and 6'5", and seeing some size inspires one's confidence.
    Just my 2 bits....
    Last edited by DMFT; 07-08-2004 at 11:09 AM. Reason: small addition

mtbr member

The 2.2 lites

"should" be available per Nokian in about 30 days.
    I have been running the 2.1 lites, I'm 185 lbs and have no problems with them for their intended use.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    No personal exp. but a good friend who's a pretty competitive Expert XC guy had a pair and didn't really care for them. They're real skinny, like a 1.85....

I'm more interested in the new 2.2 or 2.3 Lite version thats supposed to be coming out.

Just my 2 bits....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks Kman, those 2.2's will be getting put on the "want list" at the shop.

Just passing through....
    If the Nokians don't work out for you, look at the Kenda Karma DTC's. They weigh roughly the same, usually in the 460-480 range, and are fast rolling with good grip. They are also a surprisingly big, large volume tire, larger than many if not most 2.1's. I weigh 185 and they have been working out great.

I am also looking forward to trying the larger NBX lite when it comes out.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT

Just my 2 bits....
    Are they really that skinny? Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, they are that skinny. When I set them next to my Python AirLite 2.0, they look tiny. They are also "low-volume", ie not tall.
    On the plus side, they roll fast and grip well in most conditions. However, my rear tire is wearing down after about 600 miles. I will probably have to replace it before the year is over. Oh well, you pay for performance.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

On vacation

Fred,

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you have had no problems with them. Where did you buy them?

sorry long to respond. Well not that sorry. I just spent 8 days roaming Sierra trails from Downieville to Bear Valley CA. Here's where I've found the best deals so far http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TR1177

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.