mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Nobby nick upfront and Rocket Ron on rear? Bike park worthy?

So I donít want to keep going on about my tyres but today I purchased a 2.6 rocket Ron to go on rear of my new hardtail as I find it sluggish with the original tyres on.

My thoughts are to swap the Nobby Nic to the front to replace the magic Mary and to put the rocket Ron on back ? Would this work well for XC and Bike park trails? Both are 2.6. Iím not a big fan of riding in super muddy conditions so when the trails are like that I would just ride local XC anyway on fire roads and gravel paths etc etc. But then when things are a bit dryer Iíll be back at bike park progressions on jumps etc etc.

Hoping moving each tyre one step down on grip level will improve the rolling resistance 👍. At the same time donít want to go to bike park or through my wood and have the bike just slip away. Iím not an aggressive rider and not at the ability to throw the bike about yet. Itís all progression at the moment 👍

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The Rocket Ron is a pretty lightweight XC tire - I'm not sure what the trails are like at your bike park, but the Rocket Ron wouldn't be my own personal first choice. I've used the Nobby Nic as both a front tire and a back tire - I think it would be more durable, and the rolling resistance for the Nobby Nic is surprisingly good. Another Schwalbe option that I am looking at for a rear tire is the Razor Rock. It's a semi slick (good rolling resistance) with aggressive cornering knobs. Could be a good option for you.

Right now I am running a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the rear wheel and a 2.4 WT Maxxis Rekon on the front. I am in miserable shape right now and am finding the rolling resistance for this tire pair to be completely acceptable - much like you I would not want to run a Muddy Mary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    How did you find the Nobby Nic on front?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Bike park tires only if you like walking. NN as a front is okay in XC terms. It lakes a full row of corning lugs. This makes it want to wash out when leaned too far. Even Snakeskin casing is very lightweight. It's fast and fragile. RR is a great XC tire front and rear with limited grip and protection. My go to race day tire.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They're not bike park tires unless you want to be on a first name basis with your physio rehab therapist and your dentist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    What about keeping the magic Mary on front but putting the rocket Ron on rear? Would this result in faster rolling but more stable for the few hours at the bike park on a dry weekend?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Ron gives up braking traction for speed. It's an okay compromise. Don't ride near any sharp rocks. I mean near too, definitely don't ride over them.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongofish View Post
    How did you find the Nobby Nic on front?
    I like it personally. Good volume with decent traction. My trails have a lot of rocky terrain, but I am not hitting the corners hard so I am not the person to speak to about its cornering abilities. Nobby Nics seem to be a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none sort of tire. Definitely more on the XC / Trail side of things than Enduro. Tires that I have tried and find to have too much rolling resistance for my taste include Hans Dampf, Maxxis Minion DHF II and Maxxis High Roller.

mbtr member
    So I donít want to keep going on about my tyres but today I purchased a 2.6 rocket Ron to go on rear of my new hardtail as I find it sluggish with the original tyres on.

My thoughts are to swap the Nobby Nic to the front to replace the magic Mary and to put the rocket Ron on back ? Would this work well for XC and Bike park trails? Both are 2.6. Iím not a big fan of riding in super muddy conditions so when the trails are like that I would just ride local XC anyway on fire roads and gravel paths etc etc. But then when things are a bit dryer Iíll be back at bike park progressions on jumps etc etc.

Hoping moving each tyre one step down on grip level will improve the rolling resistance . At the same time donít want to go to bike park or through my wood and have the bike just slip away. Iím not an aggressive rider and not at the ability to throw the bike about yet. Itís all progression at the moment 
    You're taking a hardtail with wuss XC tires to the bike park. Those tires aren't going to limit you. Your skills and a presumably inept XC bike will limit you. You will blame the tires.

If you're swapping tires around because of how the tread looks... you need to put a lot of miles behind you and try more things.

unless you're riding an allmountain-enduro-dh bike, the tires are more window dressing than performance. Its like putting hoosiers on a civic; yeah, it's an incredible change and now you're the lord of civics, but some schlub with snow tires on his porsche is having way more fun.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The bike Iím riding is the brand new Vitus Sentier vr so quite an aggressive hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    You're taking a hardtail with wuss XC tires to the bike park. Those tires aren't going to limit you. Your skills and a presumably inept XC bike will limit you. You will blame the tires.

If you're swapping tires around because of how the tread looks... you need to put a lot of miles behind you and try more things.

unless you're riding an allmountain-enduro-dh bike, the tires are more window dressing than performance. Its like putting hoosiers on a civic; yeah, it's an incredible change and now you're the lord of civics, but some schlub with snow tires on his porsche is having way more fun.
    I could not disagree more, and I say that as someone who spent years riding my hardtail down World Cup downhill tracks. Tires are critically important on a hardtail if you intend to ride it at a bike park, with the possible exception of good brakes there's nothing more important.

Full suspension provides more traction than a hardtail which makes tires less important at a given speed. On a hardtail you want all the traction you can get, which means you stuff the biggest most aggressive tires you can fit into the frame. On my Enduro bike I've happily ridden bike parks on trail tires like the Vittoria Goma or Michlin Wild AM, on my hardtail I won't do it on anything short of a DHF. Been there, done that, it's really not fun.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I could not disagree more, and I say that as someone who spent years riding my hardtail down World Cup downhill tracks. Tires are critically important on a hardtail if you intend to ride it at a bike park, with the possible exception of good brakes there's nothing more important.

Full suspension provides more traction than a hardtail which makes tires less important at a given speed. On a hardtail you want all the traction you can get, which means you stuff the biggest most aggressive tires you can fit into the frame. On my Enduro bike I've happily ridden bike parks on trail tires like the Vittoria Goma or Michlin Wild AM, on my hardtail I won't do it on anything short of a DHF. Been there, done that, it's really not fun.
    Agreed. I have now put more effort into trying to decide on tires for my new hardtail than I did buying my house. Wrong choice and I will be singlehandedly funding the Christmas trip to Hawaii for my physiotherapist and his family. In laws too.

PS - still deciding on tires. As for brakes, I went with the new-ish XT 4 pots. I haven't ridden anything Shimano for, well, forever. Fingers crossed...

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

My comments were influenced by this-
    Iím not an aggressive rider and not at the ability to throw the bike about yet. Itís all progression at the moment 

We're looking at different things. A begintermediate is gonna make a ton of mistakes and isn't going to be able to use the bike's potential effectively. A forgiving bike that isn't too tiring is waaaay more important that the ultimate capability of the parts. The rider isn't going to be able to ride at the edge of their physical ability (taxing tire compound, pressure, casing...) because they can't consistently reproduce their best performance. (i assumed a mediocre fork and an XC frame. half right!) Having a bike that shrugs off big mistakes is much more important than tires that are more capable at the limit. Ultimately, yeah, more competent tires are better, but imo they get lost in the noise in circumstances like these.

You're riding WC DH tracks. You know exactly what you're capable of, and the sport is one of precision. You're probably not riding a vitus sentier vr, or considering rocket rons for the bike park. Completely different scenario. I agree with you, but think it's irrelevant. Speaking as someone who started like bongofish and hardtails it up at the bike park nowadays.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is bizarre.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.