mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Nobby Nic replacement. Which Maxxis tire?

Hi guys.
    I'm running a 2015 Nobby Nic 2.35" 29 tire on DT swiss ID25mm rim up front. It's the Tubeless Easy with Snakeskin, before Addix came out.

It's getting to the end of its life and had a good run. Tubeless setup at about 23PSI.

I'd like to replace it soon and I'm having a good experience with Maxxis tires and can get a good deal on them.
    My riding is mostly in Southern Ontario single-track for XC and aggressive XC (rooty, sandy, rock garden-y) but no massive drops and mostly in drier conditions.

I'm looking for a good balance between cornering bite and rolling weight. Hoping to keep it under 800g and would prefer at least a 2.3" up front.

I have a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35" out back with EXO that I like and was setup quite easily for Tubeless (the NN was a pain to get setup and needed almost twice the amount of sealant to hold air).

What do you think of the Forekaster or maybe the 2.4" ardent up front? I like the Ignitor on the back, was thinking of maybe trying one up front but haven't thought I may want something a bit more aggressive in the tread.

Your thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Not sure about Maxxis, but you could try the Michelin Force AM tires, the profile is a little bit similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shadow4eva; 10-11-2018 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Maxxis tires tend to come up smaller than advertised. Thatís why I wound up going with NN instead of forekasters. For some reason I also struggled to get my NN to seat tubeless. However, once I resorted to going to the bike shop to borrow their compressor, theyíve held air better than any tire Iíve used before. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you run across a 35mm inner width rim front wheel you could go with a Bontrager XR2 2.35 Team. It's high volume with a very rounded tread profile. That's why the wider rim works. 14 psi or less for a front in your terrain. It rolls fast and lasts. Bigger footprint and slow predictable slide out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Maybe Maxxis Recon or Conti Trail King or maybe I'm thinking of the wind tire.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I don't think Maxxis has a tyre that compares to the Nobby Nic, it's just that good at what it does.

I can say that tubless setup issues are 9 times out of 10 just a matter of knowing the tyre:rim fit and taping accordingly. Some tyres fit tighter on some rims, another layer of tape helps more than extra sealant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sorry to disagree GRPABTI, but I think the Forekaster does most things better than the Nobby Nic after riding both. They are so similar in casing size and knob size and placement. They are both good trail tires (between XC and Enduro). I was happy with the Nobby Nic until I swapped wheels with my wife and found the Forekasters even better, IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks all,
    good comments here. Actually the more I'm reading, the more I think it makes sense to look at other options outside of Maxxis (like the Michelin or Bonti suggestions).
    That give me more to go with.

In truth I dig the NN and like how it performs, but was frustrated with the tubeless (although I know some of that for sure is human error). Maybe the Addix version might also be a consideration. Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?

Would something like a Vittoria Mezcal be worth considering?
    Please keep the suggestions coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Would something like a Vittoria Mezcal be worth considering?
    I don't believe the Mezcal would provide the grip of the Nobby Nic. I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the front and love it for XC racing/riding. It corners well for me and seems to roll fast for an aggressive XC tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I will keep tabs on this thread, as I ride similar conditons. Oklahoma has too much pedaling and not enough tech for full DH tires, but enough roots, sand, and rocks to necessitate more bite than XC tires.

So far I have been looking at the Aggressor, Rekon, Ardent, and High Roller. I have an Ardent 2.25" on the front of my 29" hard tail, and I am not a fan of the side knob transition. It might make a good rear tire in 2.4" on the back of my 27.5" 130mm travel trail bike, though, with something like an Aggressor, Forekaster, or High Roller up front. I have also read great things about the Rekon as a rear tire, but it is the most expensive option.

My trail bike came with Hans Damfs, but the durability has been poor, and the rear is a little draggy. I like it up front, though.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks all,
    In truth I dig the NN and like how it performs, but was frustrated with the tubeless (although I know some of that for sure is human error). Maybe the Addix version might also be a consideration. Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?
    Ideally, when out of the box, it should be mounted with a tube, and left over night to allow the casing/bead to get the correct shape ... but if like me, you are too lazy to wait, I mount them tubeless right out of the box. In such, using a compressor, soaping the bead, removing the valve core and blasting air inside the tire, will all contribute to your succes. I set the max pressure to about 40 psi, which has always been enough to allow the bead to sit in place.

mtbr member
    OP, one question first up, you actually have a 2.35" 29" Ignitor, it's not a fictional tyre? I ask as I've seen it a few places advertised, but Maxxis has never shown the Ignitor available in that size, ever on their site. As for possible options, you could try a 29x2.4" Rekon or even the 2.6", as Maxxis tyres tend to run true to size, mostly when inflated to max PSI, and a bit smaller at riding PSI.

Bahahahaha Thanks for that man, needed a good laugh

Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I don't think Maxxis has a tyre that compares to the Nobby Nic, it's just that good at what it does.

I can say that tubless setup issues are 9 times out of 10 just a matter of knowing the tyre:rim fit and taping accordingly. Some tyres fit tighter on some rims, another layer of tape helps more than extra sealant.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I like the Forkaster on the Rear. But wish they made a 3c version outside of the 2.6 size. The XR4 is a similar tier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    Maxxis tires tend to come up smaller than advertised.
    Thatís very old and outdated hype. The current Maxxis tires are actually trues to spec that can be verified with a micrometer.

In ran Schwalbes for years after my Kenda years. They were good and high volume, descent traction but kind of fragile overall outside of the SG series. I still have a few NN, HD and RRís.

In Maxxis Iíd suggest the Rekon in 2.4 and 2.6 EXO and either the DC or 3C depending on needs. Iím currently running Ardent 2.4 as a rear with Minions or Rekon 2.6 or as a front with the Ikon 2.35. I also run Minions, DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.3. But Iíd suggest for the OP the Rekon 2.6 and 2.4. Theyíre much better all around than the Ardent but would pair well with and Ardent, Ardent Race or Ikon in the rear.

Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Thatís very old and outdated hype. The current Maxxis tires are actually trues to spec that can be verified with a micrometer.

In ran Schwalbes for years after my Kenda years. They were good and high volume, descent traction but kind of fragile overall outside of the SG series. I still have a few NN, HD and RRís.

In Maxxis Iíd suggest the Rekon in 2.4 and 2.6 EXO and either the DC or 3C depending on needs. Iím currently running Ardent 2.4 as a rear with Minions or Rekon 2.6 or as a front with the Ikon 2.35. I also run Minions, DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.3. But Iíd suggest for the OP the Rekon 2.6 and 2.4. Theyíre much better all around than the Ardent but would pair well with and Ardent, Ardent Race or Ikon in the rear.

Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Iíve gotta agree here. I keep hearing this stuff but every Maxxis Iíve mounted in the last 2-3 years (at least 30-40 tires) has been right at the listed width. But thatís only putting proper width tires on proper width rims and inflating to the max psi initially. I guess if you do it wrong or mount inappropriate rim/tire combos you might get narrower widths than advertised.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

Keep on Rockin...
    Rekon or Forkaster I'd say.

I'm a big fan of big knobs but for xc riding that's overkill. I've seen some really skilled riders riding real slick trails with no much tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Iíve gotta agree here. I keep hearing this stuff but every Maxxis Iíve mounted in the last 2-3 years (at least 30-40 tires) has been right at the listed width. But thatís only putting proper width tires on proper width rims and inflating to the max psi initially. I guess if you do it wrong or mount inappropriate rim/tire combos you might get narrower widths than advertised.
    I mean yeah, that statement was true 10-12 years ago. I had high rollers that were listed at 2.3 or 2.35 and measured 2.2 barely. Minions have always been on their own and not small. I canít say this for fact but 2.35 Ikon, 2.4 Ardents and 2.5 DHF all share the same size casings.

Since weíre talking tires. I believe Conti has the best rubber and some good tire designs but their sizing and tire designs are all over the place. Great tires and absolute shit tires. Their quality is good especially the German stuff but sizes and tread designs are whacked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Bontrager XR4 ticks all your boxes. Currently running XR4 front XR3 rear both 29x2.4 on my HT for fast flowy dry (before hurricane) trails. Very pleased with this setup. Both measure 2.45-2.5 on Derby 29.5ID rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OP, one question first up, you actually have a 2.35" 29" Ignitor, it's not a fictional tyre? I ask as I've seen it a few places advertised, but Maxxis has never shown the Ignitor available in that size, ever on their site. As for possible options, you could try a 29x2.4" Rekon or even the 2.6", as Maxxis tyres tend to run true to size, mostly when inflated to max PSI, and a bit smaller at riding PSI.

Thanks guys, good suggestions again.

Yeah I thought the same thing about the 2.35" Ignitor. I picked it up on ChainReactionCycles.com about a year ago and half expected it to arrive in Canada with a 2.1" tire that was mis-labled. To my surprise (and relief) it was actually a 2.35"
    I'll snap a pic when I get home from work.

I'm glad some of you are finding the Maxxis tires currently are up to their advertised width. I also heard they were undersized, but seems like that's old news.

mtbr member

Iím running the new Nobby Nic 27.5x2.6Ē front and rear on Stanís Flow (id29) rims and I set them up tubeless with Stanís tape and sealant without any issues but I think I used an air compressor at my job to inflate and I let them sit for a couple days at 35-40 PSI. I donít have a ton of different tire experience but they are great tires. Didnít weigh them but I think the listed weight is 810-860 for the 2.6Ē? 130mm travel hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    Bontrager XR4 ticks all your boxes. Currently running XR4 front XR3 rear both 29x2.4 on my HT for fast flowy dry (before hurricane) trails. Very pleased with this setup. Both measure 2.45-2.5 on Derby 29.5ID rims.
    I'm building up a xc/trail 29er and the plan is to give that very set up a try. I've heard great things about them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm building up a xc/trail 29er and the plan is to give that very set up a try. I've heard great things about them.
    If your trails are dry, they work well. Pretty fast tire. I dont like them once things get slick.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If your trails are dry, they work well. Pretty fast tire. I dont like them once things get slick.
    Maybe the XR4 on both ends?

Yeah, we are often slick around here. Not muddy slick, but wet rocks and roots slick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Maybe the XR4 on both ends?

Yeah, we are often slick around here. Not muddy slick, but wet rocks and roots slick.
    I did XR4 front and rear. Was great until the rocks and roots got wet, rarely ride mud since our trails close then.They were a bit skittish on slick rocks the bike came from under me on some roots. Hopefully next year will be dryer(Mid Atlantic got record rain this year) because i like them a lot.

Barely in control
    I'm not sure there is a tire that does good on wet rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'm not sure there is a tire that does good on wet rocks and roots.
    A clipped DHR2 is less scary. Wich is my preference. Predictionable at least.4

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I rode some rain with an Assegai and it thoroughly impressed me. Those big ol' nubs are absurdly soft- in the future, if I want a tire that is as much for slick rocks and roots as one can be, I'ma probably go with a Maxxis with whatever the hell rubber compound this is.

mtbr member
    Guess you'll only be running 1200g tyres in the future then, because AFAIK, all that come with Maxx Grip (that compound) are all on some serious strong/heavy casings. A friend has one of the Assegais on the front of his Ripmo and compared to a 3C Maxx Terra compound DHF, the 3C MT feels like hard plastic nearly it's that soft, so great for maximum traction/grip going DH, but sucks to pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    I rode some rain with an Assegai and it thoroughly impressed me. Those big ol' nubs are absurdly soft- in the future, if I want a tire that is as much for slick rocks and roots as one can be, I'ma probably go with a Maxxis with whatever the hell rubber compound this is.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    This tire is awsome. Too grippy for our peddly trails. Keeping it for park rides. If they make it in Exo maxxterra I'm on it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Assegai - for DH, with the true DH casing, that tire has replaced my DHF/DHR2. Its _that_ good. A bit draggy, but super grippy.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Set up schwalbe nn 2.25 on stans i21 back tubeless no problems. Mm 2.35 front. Probably used compressor though. All new Addix. But very easy stuff. Running on my 27.5 ht.

Now got fs genius 700 tuned and love the rekon 2.8 maxxterra front 2.8 maxspeed back on dt i30.

Will change ht to rekon 2.4 dual rear / 2.6 3c terra front. And get new i30 dt 1700 wheels to carry them.
    I love the big rekon stuff. Tried 2.8 on i40 and too low pressure and they drag but on i30 and just adequate pressure to use the hard part of the rubber and they just roll fast.

mtbr member
    My riding is mostly in Southern Ontario single-track for XC and aggressive XC (rooty, sandy, rock garden-y) but no massive drops and mostly in drier

What do you think of the Forekaster
    Forekaster front & rear! I have run the NN, Rekon, DHF, Highroller II, Ardent (all 27.5) and currently on 27.5x2.6 Forekaster. The Forekaster are the best for your type riding (same as mine northeast USA & Kingdom Trails). Forekasterís are fast and grippy. If you go to a 30-35 mm rim 2.6 are the way to go. The 29x2.6 Forekaster just hit Maxxis warehouse and should be available soon.

mtbr member
    Forekaster 2.35 is comparable to Nobby Nic 2.25 in size.
    Good and grippy tire, but for modern boost bikes with beefy suspension it looks really undersized, almost comically so.

NN 2.35 is golden middle in terms of grip, rolling and volume considering it's pretty light, in line with Forekaster 2.35 of which it's quite a bit more voluminous, so it's similar to 2.4 or 2.5" Maxxis but quite a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    If you liked your old NNs, you'll like to new ones even more.
    Setting up tubeless was painless.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    "Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?"

Yeah, just about everyone who owns one. They roll better, grip better and wear better than the pre-Addix models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Forekaster 2.35 is comparable to Nobby Nic 2.25 in size.
    Good and grippy tire, but for modern boost bikes with beefy suspension it looks really undersized, almost comically so.

NN 2.35 is golden middle in terms of grip, rolling and volume considering it's pretty light, in line with Forekaster 2.35 of which it's quite a bit more voluminous, so it's similar to 2.4 or 2.5" Maxxis but quite a lot lighter.
    At the claimed weight of 765g 2.35 NN Addix would be a good tire, but Iíve seen them posted at 800g recently. Iím running the new soft 2.35 Hans Dampf and itís below the claimed weight at 828g. Itís a no brainer to run the HD over the NN on front and only give up 28g. I run the 2.35 Forekaster rear and do to the small knobs I would rather run a 2.35 NN up front, but I like the Forekaster as a rear. Unfortunately the Addix NN at 800g is no where near my 2.35 Forekaster at 753g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Ok, check out the thread in this forum titled ďAnyone ran a Maxxis Forekaster?Ē. Many users measured their Forekasters and reported widths between 2.2 and 2.3 inches. Other users reported true 2.35in. Width isnít the most important factor of how a tire performs, but if it is important to OP there is a lengthy thread with all the info a person would need about the tire including width. I donít think itís ďoutdated hypeĒ if people are still measuring their tires and being disappointed itís not as wide as what is printed on the sidewall.

mtbr member
    On my 25mm rims, Forekaster measures 56mm casing/58mm knobs while the 2.35 Ardent Race measures 59/59.5

DHF2 in 2.4 WT was 61mm, so the difference between "2.35" FK and 2.4" DHR2 is about 4-5mm which is closer to 0.15-0.20ď and definitely not 0.05" hehe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    At the claimed weight of 765g 2.35 NN Addix would be a good tire, but Iíve seen them posted at 800g recently. Iím running the new soft 2.35 Hans Dampf and itís below the claimed weight at 828g. Itís a no brainer to run the HD over the NN on front and only give up 28g. I run the 2.35 Forekaster rear and do to the small knobs I would rather run a 2.35 NN up front, but I like the Forekaster as a rear. Unfortunately the Addix NN at 800g is no where near my 2.35 Forekaster at 753g.
    Is the new HD still true to size, big volume?
    I'm currently running a NN 2.6 TS on the front and planning to try either a MM or HD for a bit more cornering grip.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    Ok, check out the thread in this forum titled ďAnyone ran a Maxxis Forekaster?Ē. Many users measured their Forekasters and reported widths between 2.2 and 2.3 inches. Other users reported true 2.35in. Width isnít the most important factor of how a tire performs, but if it is important to OP there is a lengthy thread with all the info a person would need about the tire including width. I donít think itís ďoutdated hypeĒ if people are still measuring their tires and being disappointed itís not as wide as what is printed on the sidewall.
    I don't own any Forekasters (tested them and not impressed) nor am I interested in owning any so I don't have any to measure. Maxxis does make a few casing sizes. The Ardent's/ Race, Ikons, Rekons, Minions (and quite a few others) use the higher volume casings and are true to size if you mount them on the correct wheels. Sometimes you have to read between the lines on the tires descriptions. When Maxxis use the high volume casings they say stuff like "a high volume tire" and or also designate WT for suggested wide rim use. The problem is they can't control what some moron might think is the best wheel to use for the tire and size. There's a saying that goes; stupid outta hurt!
    Last edited by manitou2200; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:47 PM.

I'm with stupid
    Assegai - for DH, with the true DH casing, that tire has replaced my DHF/DHR2. Its _that_ good. A bit draggy, but super grippy.
    Agree! I hope they make it in the same compound in EXO for I can run it on the trails without the super weight. If you put a DHF 2.5 on the rear in DH casing it really is a awesome combo.

mtbr member
    Ran Forekaser 2.35 (front), Ignitor 2.35 (rear) this weekend during wet conditions. Trail is very sandy with lots of rocks. While everyone around me was slipping and sliding, I was holding lines. Had two other riders ask my about my setup. Honestly, the Ignitors are much better in the dry so im changing to another Forekaster in the rear till late spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    "Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?"

Yeah, just about everyone who owns one. They roll better, grip better and wear better than the pre-Addix models.
    I'm a big Maxxis fan but I did run a set of NN Addix when they 1st came out. Amazing grip but split the center of the casing on the 3rd ride from a small root. They did warranty it for me, but I sold it and moved on.

I currently run Bontrager XR4 Team issue 2.4 & 2.6 and love them. Been running them all season. Great traction and durable. Closest tire to NN in my opinion. I do still swap out to my Maxxis agressor/Minon combo for park riding.

I'm a 270# clyde on a AM hardtail that rides northeast single track for reference

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Ran Forekaser 2.35 (front), Ignitor 2.35 (rear) this weekend during wet conditions. Trail is very sandy with lots of rocks. While everyone around me was slipping and sliding, I was holding lines. Had two other riders ask my about my setup. Honestly, the Ignitors are much better in the dry so im changing to another Forekaster in the rear till late spring.
    Ignitor is a good design but Maxxis refuses to update it.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Recon has been great for WNC

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi guys.
    I'm running a 2015 Nobby Nic 2.35" 29 tire on DT swiss ID25mm rim up front. It's the Tubeless Easy with Snakeskin, before Addix came out.

It's getting to the end of its life and had a good run. Tubeless setup at about 23PSI.

I'd like to replace it soon and I'm having a good experience with Maxxis tires and can get a good deal on them.
    My riding is mostly in Southern Ontario single-track for XC and aggressive XC (rooty, sandy, rock garden-y) but no massive drops and mostly in drier conditions.

I'm looking for a good balance between cornering bite and rolling weight. Hoping to keep it under 800g and would prefer at least a 2.3" up front.

I have a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35" out back with EXO that I like and was setup quite easily for Tubeless (the NN was a pain to get setup and needed almost twice the amount of sealant to hold air).

What do you think of the Forekaster or maybe the 2.4" ardent up front? I like the Ignitor on the back, was thinking of maybe trying one up front but haven't thought I may want something a bit more aggressive in the tread.

Your thoughts appreciated.
    Try a Bontrager XR4 team edition. Similar roll, grip & weight as a NN 2.35, but better grip and won't tear as easily as a NN. I can't use NN snakeskins without tearing them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post

Here is a picture of the 2.35" Ignitor. I really like it.
    Nobby Nic replacement. Which Maxxis tire?-mi1.jpg