No such thing as a dumb question? Rotational weight of 62 grams...- Mtbr.com
    Kicker of Elves

No such thing as a dumb question? Rotational weight of 62 grams...

I did some searching prior to posting this because I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere but couldn't find it.

I've been comparing wheel builds and it appears that the difference in weight between straight DT Champion 2.0 and DT Competition double butted 1.8-2.0 is only 62 grams for the whole set. This is without nipples.

That seems negligible to me, is this correct?

I weigh about 200 lbs and am going to use some DT 270's so I'm thinking Revolutions are not a good idea (White Ind hubs), would you also agree?

Just curious if there are any opinions out there to be shared.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    I did some searching prior to posting this because I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere but couldn't find it.

I've been comparing wheel builds and it appears that the difference in weight between straight DT Champion 2.0 and DT Competition double butted 1.8-2.0 is only 62 grams for the whole set. This is without nipples.

That seems negligible to me, is this correct?

I weigh about 200 lbs and am going to use some DT 270's so I'm thinking Revolutions are not a good idea (White Ind hubs), would you also agree?

Just curious if there are any opinions out there to be shared.

Thanks!
    You mention 3 different spokes.

I would use the Comps. Makes a more durable (not the same as stronger) wheel than straight gauge Champs.

Revos can be less durable and may result in a flexier wheel.

I pick durable and stable over weight in most cases.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd 235 and ride Champs 2.0's but at 200 the 1.8-2.0 might actually work better for you, I like really stiff wheels why i go 2.0.

Had Revo's on a 717 rim come with my current bike, couldn't keep the wheels straight and gave up.

Kicker of Elves
    I see what you mean Shiggy, I didn't make that very clear. I was thinking Champs would work, Comp's would be ok but not for the weight savings, and Rev's would be bad.

I think I see what you mean about the Comp's: The DB spoke might flex enough to be more durable rather the straight spoke's rigidity?

Thanks Turvey for the comment regarding the revos.

If I could pick your brains for one more question can you tell me if it is common for wheels to have similar lengths for right and left sides? I haven't built any wheels since the 90's but I thought they were more dissimilar in length.

DT's spoke calc shows: 292 and 293 for the front wheel, L and R respectively
    and 293 and 292 for the rear wheel, L and R respectively

This is with the White Ind m16 cassette rear hub. Could I use one size or the other for the whole build?

Thanks again guys!

transmitter~receiver
    I stay away from straight gauge spokes. The only reason to use them is cost.
    Either Comps or Revos will work fine for you.
    Revos are trickier to build with because they tend to wind up a bit more during the build.
    I've used Revos for years without any complaints from customers or problems with wheels, and that includes for riders over 200 lbs.
    Claims about lower durability of Revos are dubious at best, and I'd love to see any evidence or hear any reasoning behind that pretty silly claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Comps, Revo's and Champs.
    Durability vs cost. Comps win hands down. Especially for your back wheel. There is always some stones flying when going down the hill. And they sometimes hit the rear wheel slap bang on the spokes. The Comps cope better than the Revo's in this respect. My experience.
    Champs are for cheap wheels.
    Last edited by supersleeper; 11-13-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by supersleeper View Post
    Comps, Revo's and Champs.
    Durability vs cost. Comps win hands down. Especially for your back wheel. There is always some stones flying when going down the hill. And they sometimes hit the rear wheel slap bang on the spokes. The Comps cope better than the Revo's in this respect. My experience.
    Champs are for cheap wheels.
    Lets see, In 28 years of mtbing I have had rocks hit the spokes innumerable times. The number of times that has resulted in a broken spoke is ZERO.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Lets see, In 28 years of mtbing I have had rocks hit the spokes innumerable times. The number of times that has resulted in a broken spoke is ZERO.
    Good. Like I said, my experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Normally mates have chipped them up into my spokes 5 sounds about right.

Experiences will differ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You shouldnt just worry about rocks, say you wreck your bike: stronger spokes will stay intact. Ironically Ive only broken spokes road and track biking, never on a mtb. There are so many factors determining if your wheels are going to be strong and I'd say the most important is a good build/lacing, preferably by a human.