mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New tires, size and type recomendations please.

Hey all, I took the plunge and bought a new bike, was going to go full suspension, but after taking a spin on this hardtail...I knew it was coming home with me that day.

So...Now I'm looking for a tire recommendation because the tires that came equipped are not tubeless ready, but the rims are?

Anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to stick with buying a Maxxis DHF for the front (I've had it before), but the rear has me scratching my head with too many choices.

So about me/bike/trails.

-I'm a newer rider with not much in the skills department, but I'd like to have a set of tires I can trust under me while I learn proper skills..now that I have a bike I can trust.

-I ride simple basic green/blue singletrack with small(ish) rock gardens, some rooty bits, some skinnys, and some climbing (nothing too extreme). Mostly dry packed soil, nothing too dusty or loose, and nothing to mucky or wet (basic midwest dirt).

-Tire must be Tubeless ready, and have some solid sidewalls...as I tend to run into stuff....hey I'm learning, every wipeout (albeit small) is a lesson.

-The bike is a 2019 Kona Honzo 29er (aluminum), currently wearing 29x2.25 WTB's (on WTB ST i29 29 TCS rims) I'd like to go with a bit wider tire than the delivered size...so if anyone knows how wide I can go that'd be great! I'm thinking 2.3" front and rear, but part of me wants to try a 2.5" up front.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any suggestions!

mtbr member
    Think you can go up to 2.6 ^^

If you want a 2.5 DHF up front. Then chuck a 2.5 Aggressor out back.

If your trails are muddy most of the time (like mine).

Maybe a 2.6 Magic Mary up front & a 2.4 WT Minion DHRII 3C.

On my 29er AM HT, I'm running 2.35 Magic Mary & 2.35 Michelin Wild AM.

This is mainly due to my X-Fusion Trace fork - being very narrow. Plus, narrow rims.

If I do address fork/rim issues, I'll be on 2.5/2.4 or 2.6/2.5 tyres.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As everyone knows, I ride Bontragers on wide rims. XR2 Team 2.35s were designed for wide rims and low pressure because they are high volume with a very rounded tread profile. They'll work on your dry terrain for your bike at low pressures. 15 or lower front and 18-19 rear would be a starting point unless you get rim hits. Experiment. Low pressure will greatly improve your footprint and slow down how fast you slide out in a curve. This cuts your crashes.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/11866/

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Think you can go up to 2.6 ^^

If you want a 2.5 DHF up front. Then chuck a 2.5 Aggressor out back.

If your trails are muddy most of the time (like mine).

Maybe a 2.6 Magic Mary up front & a 2.4 WT Minion DHRII 3C.

On my 29er AM HT, I'm running 2.35 Magic Mary & 2.35 Michelin Wild AM.

This is mainly due to my X-Fusion Trace fork - being very narrow. Plus, narrow rims.

If I do address fork/rim issues, I'll be on 2.5/2.4 or 2.6/2.5 tyres.

'Born to ride!'
    Thanks!

Yeah, I think I can fit a 2.5" on the front, it's got a RockShox Recon RL fork (not a fan of this fork, I have one on my Trek but I'll "ride it til I wreck it"), that looks plenty wide enough to handle a 2.5" at least...but I haven't found any literature to confirm/disprove this..

My concern is the rear...the Honzo looks plenty wide, but what confuses the hell out of me is that a 2.5" (on a 29mm width wheel) from Maxxis may not be the same actual width as a 2.5" from say Schwalbe or any other manufacturer for that matter...and to make matters even worse, a tire that is advertised as a 2.5" tire, might actually be wider or narrower (based on the rim width) than what the manufactures indicate on the package...yet I can't find any chart that indicates what "actual" sizes are..

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    As everyone knows, I ride Bontragers on wide rims. XR2 Team 2.35s were designed for wide rims and low pressure because they are high volume with a very rounded tread profile. They'll work on your dry terrain for your bike at low pressures. 15 or lower front and 18-19 rear would be a starting point unless you get rim hits. Experiment. Low pressure will greatly improve your footprint and slow down how fast you slide out in a curve. This cuts your crashes.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/11866/

Thanks!

The only experience I have with Bontrager tires has been poor...My Trek came factory with XR2's and I didn't care for them, I can't say why other than they "weren't confidence inspiring" but they weren't the "Team Issue" version though, and those appear to be considerably better.

mtbr member
    2.5 Aggressor comes in at 64mm wide on my 29 ID rim on my 160mm FS 29er out back.

I'm running the 2.6 Specialized Butcher Grid up front it comes in at 62mm across

My OCD doesn't like having a 2mm wider tyre (tread, not casing), out back.

But if I put aside my silly brain, these two tyres actually work really well together.

I did contemplate a 2.6 Bontrager XR5 up front (spec says 66mm wide), instead of the Butcher...

Or - I thought of switching out the Aggressor for a 2.6 Purgatory.

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    2.5 Aggressor comes in at 64mm wide on my 29 ID rim on my 160mm FS 29er out back.

I'm running the 2.6 Specialized Butcher Grid up front it comes in at 62mm across
    This...right here LOL That 2.6" should be WIDER than the 2.5" LOL!!! especially since I assume the wheels are identical?

Thanks for the info on the Aggressor, at least I know what it'll be width wise on my rims, so I can measure my bike and see if there is room.

I think the frame will be fine, I'm more concerned about the chainline rubbing when I'm all the way up on the largest cog...

mtbr member
    If bike's built for 2.6 tyres, I can't imagine chain rubbing.

A riding bud of mine has a Honzo '17 or '18 & he runs 2.8's.

Think he's on Minion/Rekon combo.

Edit:

His is a Big Honzo o_0

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    If bike's built for 2.6 tyres, I can't imagine chain rubbing.

A riding bud of mine has a Honzo '17 or '18 & he runs 2.8's.

Think he's on Minion/Rekon combo.

'Born to ride!'
    Yeah me either, I just don't know what my bike was designed for, and the Kona webpage has plenty of info, but max tire width isn't among it.

I shot a email to Kona yesterday, but I'm sure they are closed on the weekend, so I'm hoping for a reply this week with the tech specs needed.

Is your friends Honzo a steel or aluminum version?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Yeah me either, I just don't know what my bike was designed for, and the Kona webpage has plenty of info, but max tire width isn't among it.

I shot a email to Kona yesterday, but I'm sure they are closed on the weekend, so I'm hoping for a reply this week with the tech specs needed.

Is your friends Honzo a steel or aluminum version?
    AL DL Big Honzo... different whip to yours.

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Kansas City rider here, and the rocks/roots we have sound similar. The Honzo has boost, so you could go up to 2.5 or 2.6 easily out front. I think the rear is limited around the chainstay though, so I'd look at something in the 2.4 range (or just keep the front's 2.25 for out back as a spare). Based on rim width, I wouldn't go any wider than 2.6" up front. I use 2.4 Ardents and they are perfect for on my I-29mm rim width.

WTB tires will seat up tubeless on their rims, even if the tire isn't advertised as tubeless. The main issue is if they fit tight on the bead shelf, or if they are loose around the diameter. If the tires you have slide onto the shelf real easy after putting on some tape, I'd look at different tires. If it's a tight fit, go for it. I'd make a pretty good bet that you'll be good though. I've setup non-tubeless WTB and Maxis tires on my WTB I29 rims without any issue except not getting the stem seated right.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Kansas City rider here, and the rocks/roots we have sound similar. The Honzo has boost, so you could go up to 2.5 or 2.6 easily out front. I think the rear is limited around the chainstay though, so I'd look at something in the 2.4 range (or just keep the front's 2.25 for out back as a spare). Based on rim width, I wouldn't go any wider than 2.6" up front. I use 2.4 Ardents and they are perfect for on my I-29mm rim width.

WTB tires will seat up tubeless on their rims, even if the tire isn't advertised as tubeless. The main issue is if they fit tight on the bead shelf, or if they are loose around the diameter. If the tires you have slide onto the shelf real easy after putting on some tape, I'd look at different tires. If it's a tight fit, go for it. I'd make a pretty good bet that you'll be good though. I've setup non-tubeless WTB and Maxis tires on my WTB I29 rims without any issue except not getting the stem seated right.
    Thanks for the info!

I ended up ordering 2 tires for the front...Minion DHF in 2.3" and one in 2.5"...not terribly expensive, and I can switch back and forth to see which one I prefer.

For the rear, I went with a 2.3" Aggressor (with DD), but I was looking at the Ardent, High Roller & Minion DHR 2...we'll see how I fair with the Aggressor, worst case scenario is I buy a different tire.