New tire recomendations santa cruz blur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

New tire recomendations santa cruz blur

Looking for suggestions to replace the 2.25 alpines on my bike.

What I ride: Tight single track, lots of roots, short rock gardens, downhill 100 ft uphill 100 ft type terrain in the Midwest but still steep with lots of little drops, berms, small jumps, etc.

Type of riding: For fun. Like to time myself but not racing competitively.

Looking for a tire that rolls well but with more traction then the alpines. Thinking of having a slightly grippier tire in the front as have washed the front tire out a few times.

Ideas...
    Rekon 2.4 front and Rekon 2.25 rear. Will this be too heavy in front?
    Rekon 2.25 front and Ikon 2.25 rear
    Ikon 2.35 front and Ikon 2.25 rear

Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

New tire recomendations santa cruz blur

If you are just having fun and donít want something heavy.

Forekaster 2.35 F and rear

Nobby Nic 2.35 F and rear.

These are still very fast and traceable tires.

You may also choose to keep the Aspen in the rear and lower the pressure. I run 25.5 psi in the rear at 190 pounds.

Another great rear tire option is the 2.35 Ikon. Itís a massive tire that handles dry roots well.

If you deal with wet roots a lot, just run forekasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am a fan of the rekon and the ikon as a combo. Recently, I've tried a set of bontrager tires and I feel that they are superior to the maxxis offerings in this weight/size class. I am a diehard maxxis fanboy, but these tires won me over.

My suggestion for your application.
    Front - Bontrager XR4 Team Issue - 29x2.4
    Rear - Bontrager XR3 Team Issue (2019 version) - 29x2.4

I have been loving this setup for my trail bike that also sees a good amount of XC marathon racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I like your first option

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    One more idea

Ardent Race 2.35 front and keep the aspen in rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I run a Aspen in the rear and the Ikon on the front. Or Ikons front and rear. Both of these combos roll very fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Minionsminionsminions............that's yer ticket!

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    2.4 Bontrager XR4 front XR3 rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    second the forekaster. i also love the ardent race on the front when its drier - very underated tyre that has more grip than an actual ardent

SS Pusher Man
    If you live anywhere near any rocks....stay away from the 2.25 Rekon. Look at them the wrong way and they fail. Cut the sidewall on mine after 13 miles. Another was cut after about 8 miles. Fragile tire.

Big fan of the 2.4 Rekon, 2.35 Forekaster and 2.35 Ikon up front.

Match the back with 2.35 Ikon, Forekaster or Ardent Race.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I've try the Rekon 2.6 in front with ikon 2.35 rear, and in some situations the rekon was really scary (wet roots/rocks)... even with low pressures. The Bontrager XR4 in 2.4 or in 2.6 is really better in these situations... the XR4 2.4 is also not too heavy and at least in front i feel it rolls not worse than than the rekon.
    The Ikon 2.35 was a surprise in the rear... very good volume and cushion, and in my experience it grips good for how fast they roll...

In the rear i've also try the XR4 2.4, XR3 2.4(old model) and XR2, so i can confirm that the new XR3 2019 could also be a good option.

So, another advice if you want a fast setup but grippy in front(a sort of fun trail tire-setup, not so light XC)
    Front: XR4 2.4 (real 60/61mm wide... good volume)
    Rear: XR3(new 2019model) or Ikon 2.35 (both approx 60mm wide)

I've never try the Forekaster 2.35 in front, but i have see it mounted on a bike in the shop and it looks like a 2.2... so for me is no... i don't want a soo tiny tire in front...(maybe it will grow up, but i was shocked of how small it was)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I plan on buying more Rekons. I liked the 120 TPI TR 3c 2.8 on 40 mm, wich compound did you not like?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I plan on buying more Rekons. I liked the 120 TPI TR 3c 2.8 on 40 mm, wich compound did you not like?
    I've try the Rekon 29x2.6 Exo 3C Maxxterra on 30mm internal width rims. Also at 14/15 psi i found it scary on wet roots/rocks. Trails that i've done with XR4 and it was better.
    The softer side knobs compound of maxxterra, in hand doesn't seem so soft as the XR4. (i'm not the only one that feel that maxxis 120tpi trail tires in maxxterra is not so soft... maybe for keeping the weight low, the compound is not a "real" maxxterra as for example the beefier DHF 2.5 60tpi maxxterra?)

I was so excited about the rekon 2.6 maxxterra as it could be the perfect trail tire, but it was not for me... I'v put it in the back with a XR4 2.6 in front now.
    The rekon 2.6 was also only 63mm wide (the xr4 2.6 is 66/67mm wide). Maybe the 2.6 rekon need a 35mm internal width rim to give out his best. So it can be that your 2.8 on 40mm rims could be very good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zambo78 View Post
    I've try the Rekon 29x2.6 Exo 3C Maxxterra on 30mm internal width rims. Also at 14/15 psi i found it scary on wet roots/rocks. Trails that i've done with XR4 and it was better.
    The softer side knobs compound of maxxterra, in hand doesn't seem so soft as the XR4. (i'm not the only one that feel that maxxis 120tpi trail tires in maxxterra is not so soft... maybe for keeping the weight low, the compound is not a "real" maxxterra as for example the beefier DHF 2.5 60tpi maxxterra?)

I was so excited about the rekon 2.6 maxxterra as it could be the perfect trail tire, but it was not for me... I'v put it in the back with a XR4 2.6 in front now.
    The rekon 2.6 was also only 63mm wide (the xr4 2.6 is 66/67mm wide). Maybe the 2.6 rekon need a 35mm internal width rim to give out his best. So it can be that your 2.8 on 40mm rims could be very good.
    Thanks a lot. I read lots of good about xr4 i will give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just put a 2.4 Rekon front and Ardent Race 2.35 rear on my Ripley and it's so much faster than with 2.6 Rekons f/r I couldn't believe it. Pretty good grip, too.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc