New snakeskin wont mount up. Getting upset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New snakeskin wont mount up. Getting upset

Brand new racing ralph evo snakeskin is giving me troubles. I have a compressor and the tire wont budge at all doesnt even squirm or give any indacation of starting.

I hace mounted the cheap rapid rob very easily on many ocassions. Also mounted a fastrak lk 2bliss with out issues.

Any tips. I aired it up with a tube last night and went for a good ride thinking it would stretch out. No go.

I dont have a tow strap to try that.

Any other thoughts.
    Thanks

Save Jesus
    use tube to get tire on
    pop off one bead only
    take out tube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    use tube to get tire on
    pop off one bead only
    take out tube
    Good idea. Recently I installed a NN Snakeskin EVO I used soap and water on the beads here and it seated instantly. May wanna try that on your second bead after the tube trick.
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Brand new racing ralph evo snakeskin is giving me troubles. I have a compressor and the tire wont budge at all doesnt even squirm or give any indacation of starting.

I hace mounted the cheap rapid rob very easily on many ocassions. Also mounted a fastrak lk 2bliss with out issues.

Any tips. I aired it up with a tube last night and went for a good ride thinking it would stretch out. No go.

I dont have a tow strap to try that.

Any other thoughts.
    Thanks
    Are you taking the valve core out to inflate it?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I guess the problem is with the rim. Inferno 25 dont have a tight bead. I tried the tube then pulling one side but the seated side pulls right out. Just doesnt stay in place.

The rapid rob that came with them is soo soft and plyable that it gravetates to the sides of the rim. The ralphs are very stiff compaired. Also theside walls on the ralphs are wrinkled and wavey in spots. Is that normal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have tried with the core out. Still no movment.

Hope the tire loosens up abit over time with the tube in. Its dissapointing because i love the way tubless feels.

FresnoGiant
    Try a gas station pump. They typically have higher flows than a home compressor. If that doesn't work, I have used co2 cartridges for difficult tires in the past. Not free, but it will get the tire to seat every time.

Save Jesus
    Well I guess the problem is with the rim. Inferno 25 dont have a tight bead. I tried the tube then pulling one side but the seated side pulls right out. Just doesnt stay in place.
    No wonder. That's because your rim is not designed for tubeless use. Unsafe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well there is alot of people running tubless on non tubeless rims. I have done enough easy riding on these rims to feel safe before hitting the harder trails. I dont run super low psi. Usually around 28psi since the bead on these rims is a loose fit.

But I do plan on getting new hoops as soon as I can afford it.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    I am not sure where I may have seen this but I have seen it done and it worked. Take a small rachet strap and put it around the dia of the tire and snug it down. I beleive this pushes the bead aginst the bottom of the rim forcing the beads to travel up the inside of the rim causing the bead to seat to the lip of the rim. Maybe I am crazy, but then agin we all might be crazy and it will work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well there is alot of people running tubless on non tubeless rims. I have done enough easy riding on these rims to feel safe before hitting the harder trails. I dont run super low psi. Usually around 28psi since the bead on these rims is a loose fit.

But I do plan on getting new hoops as soon as I can afford it.
    ...maybe you need a rim strip, so you can get that seal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea i think the rim strip is the key. Even i i try the strap i cant use it with sealant as it will just leak out. Even if it seats, as soon as I deflate to add sealant it will drop the bead. I will try the compressor at work. Great big one. My small one doesnt flow alot of air.

Thanks for all the ideas

Members who have read this thread: 0