new rear wheel is off center!?!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

new rear wheel is off center!?!?!

i wrote off my rear rim on a little curb hop and decided to heavy dutify with mavic 721's. when i got my bike back i noticed the mechanic had ground the brake mount. I wasnt sure why, but they were much harded to adjust. A few weeks later i replaced the maxxis high roller 2.1's with wtb motoraptor 2.35's and went to try them out. they were rubbing the left side of the frame arm! i can adjust everything to run smooth but its a constant fight. So my question is to anyone, when the mechanic installed the new wheelset and switched the casette off the old ones, was there too much spacing between the hub? The whole wheel is off to the left side of the bike, and when he ground the brake mount (which i think is when he should have realized something was amiss) he didn't seem to get it straight so the pads grab at an angle and are are constantly needing adjustment. Are there different sizings of hubs? They apppear to be the same model on both wheelsets. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiggs
    i wrote off my rear rim on a little curb hop and decided to heavy dutify with mavic 721's. when i got my bike back i noticed the mechanic had ground the brake mount. I wasnt sure why, but they were much harded to adjust. A few weeks later i replaced the maxxis high roller 2.1's with wtb motoraptor 2.35's and went to try them out. they were rubbing the left side of the frame arm! i can adjust everything to run smooth but its a constant fight. So my question is to anyone, when the mechanic installed the new wheelset and switched the casette off the old ones, was there too much spacing between the hub? The whole wheel is off to the left side of the bike, and when he ground the brake mount (which i think is when he should have realized something was amiss) he didn't seem to get it straight so the pads grab at an angle and are are constantly needing adjustment. Are there different sizings of hubs? They apppear to be the same model on both wheelsets. Any advice here would be appreciated.
    Sounds like the dish on your wheel may be incorrect. You can adjust it yourself if you are good with a spoke wrench- i.e.loosen all of the spokes slightly (perhaps 1/8 turn) on the side of the wheel which is too close (left side) and tighten all of the spokes on the opposite side slightly (drive side) to pull the wheel towards the drive (right side). It's probably best to have a shop do it though.

I'd kill any mechanic who took a grinder to my bike w/o having a damn good reason.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the advice. i think he ground it because the rotor was also too far left
    it was ground down so that the brake caliper could move farther to the left side. Adjusting the spokes would help with the tire rubbing but i still would have brake issues. Killing the mechanic who uses a grinder on a bike... I think thats the best advice I ever heard. I wonder if it has to do with how the casette went on the hub or if there is a way to adjust the hub left or right.

LBS Manager

I have had problems to

When my brake tabs were faced they came out all messed up I had to cut spacers in half and put them in at specific angles to get proper alignment. I think the acuracy of the tools they use to face frames is overstated. I watched him do it and he definatly used the tool properly but it still came out wrong. If you don't absolutly have to face your frame don't, it took alot of messing around to get ligned up again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thank for the advice I took the bike into the shop who did the shoddy work and told them what i wanted done. From your responses I figured out what problems needed to be dealt with. as they tried to ******** me i could shut them down. The mechanic thinks he can get the hub centered more yet they were pretty quiet when i mentioned i would want a new brake mount to replace the ground one. Well see how the service is this time around, but it makes me think if there should be a mtb review thread on where to find good mechanic in different cities.....