The new 'not psylence' shimano hubs- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

The new 'not psylence' shimano hubs

Just bought a set cuz who doesn't want to be a guinea pig?

Nah, it's just hard to justify not trying them when anything else in superboost+ with 40poe costs 2x as much. I have high hopes that their redesigned drive mechanism will be as durable as other similar designs, like rotor and DT swiss.

I can't find any discussion or reviews on the new shimano hubs. Anyone want to talk about their experiences? I'll update this thread with my own experiences, probably. I'm fantastic at destroying hubs and have owned most of the good stuff.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Are you talking about these hubs that we have discussed in here?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...y-1104195.html

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    Are you talking about these hubs that we have discussed in here?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...y-1104195.html
    Yes, i guess. I didn't see that thread... which is fine because there's no useful information there.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

bike rider
    Nobody has used a Shimano hub since like 2001. So, as the first guinea pig we're awaiting your report. For now you can tell us price and weight. Shimano hubs used to be heavy but the pre-release info on Psylence had them competitive with DT 240s.
    Keep the Country country.

Hitching a ride
    The XTR weights are very nice, but the lower tier hubs are inexplicably heavier. I suspect they put a steel microspline freehub on the SLX just to make it less attractive.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Nobody has used a Shimano hub since like 2001. So, as the first guinea pig we're awaiting your report. For now you can tell us price and weight. Shimano hubs used to be heavy but the pre-release info on Psylence had them competitive with DT 240s.
    You got that right, trying to find a basic SLX (or XT-whatever) freehub at local bike shops here and in DFW a month back was impossible. You used to be able to pick those up from any shop at any time. These days, it makes more economical sense for manufacturers to use branded or no-name hubs at the lower price-points and then higher end DT/I9/etc. hubs on the higher end stuff. Due to how much good stuff there is that simply out-did shimano as far as drive mechanisms for years on end, it's going to be a long uphill battle to get back to the 90s and 2000s when shimano hubs of some sort were speced on everything and parts available at your LBS.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I've been using a pair of the non-XTR XTR hubs for a few months now. Basically silent. Engagement is great. Zero issues to date. My pair of Ibis 742/ Shimano Hubs and Laser spokes came in at 1615 with tape and valves. Not bad!!!

You can hear a very slight intermittent buz while coasting, but otherwise the wheels are silent. A nice change form I9 to be honest. Though to say anything about durability.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I've been using a pair of the non-XTR XTR hubs for a few months now. Basically silent. Engagement is great. Zero issues to date. My pair of Ibis 742/ Shimano Hubs and Laser spokes came in at 1615 with tape and valves. Not bad!!!
    Do you have a PN for that rear hub? I'd be interested in one but need the HG freehub.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Do you have a PN for that rear hub? I'd be interested in one but need the HG freehub.
    Part Number? I have these: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...H-MT901-B.html

Given their entire line is now Microsplne hubs and cassettes, I doubt you can get an HG freebee body for these hubs.

Wanna ride bikes?
    bummer. Guess I need a 12 speed drivetrain too...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    bummer. Guess I need a 12 speed drivetrain too...
    Dude. It's like they turned it up to eleven TWICE.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov