New Hans Dampf HS491 !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Hans Dampf HS491 !

I was looking at the Schwalbe website and noticed a new version of my favorite front tire, Hans Damp.

The existing version is HS426, the new version is HS491, and has very different knob layout. The transition knobs are not as angled as before. Looks like a beefier version of Nobby Nic.

Comes in 2.6" and 2.8" width.

Anyone tried one? Is it actually better or should I start stocking on HS426?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Hans Dampf HS491 !-schwalbe_hs491_hans-dampf_57584_line-orange_preview.jpg  

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well it can't really be any worse than the old one.

Still wonder if Schwalbe have found out how to keep the knobs attached to the tyre before I consider spending anything on them again.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Still waiting for it to become available in Europe for a better price than the US market

mtbr member
    Schwalbe is one brand that I haven't tried yet. I've always avoided them for the same reasons we're all familiar with. But I've got to say; this tire looks freakin' awesome! It would be nice to wait and see a few reviews, but I'm not sure how long I can hold out.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Yup, I've had the new Hans Dampf (2.35, Addix Soft) for the past month.

I usually run a Magic Mary (Addix Soft) up front and Rock Razor (Addix SpeedGrip) in the back. Most trails I ride are hardpack, so I thought the new Hans Dampf with it's closer-spaced tread pattern would work better on the front. Well, it didn't really work out for me. The Magic Mary still hold a considerable advantage on braking grip, so I found myself braking much earlier with the Hans Dampf. I also didn't notice any significant rolling resistance improvement. I don't think I'll be replacing the Magic Mary up front anytime soon.

So I tried using the Hans Dampf in the back with the Magic Mary up front. As expected, it grips much better than the Rock Razor at the cost of rolling resistance. I felt that it gripped really well on steep, loose techy sections where I was dragging the rear wheel.

The MM and HD combo will now be my go-to if I'm riding unfamiliar trails and shuttle runs.

Seems like this tire will also last me a good while. After 3 sessions at a downhill bike park (Snow Summit, CA), the knobs are still in great condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitssir View Post
    Yup, I've had the new Hans Dampf (2.35, Addix Soft) for the past month.

I usually run a Magic Mary (Addix Soft) up front and Rock Razor (Addix SpeedGrip) in the back. Most trails I ride are hardpack, so I thought the new Hans Dampf with it's closer-spaced tread pattern would work better on the front. Well, it didn't really work out for me. The Magic Mary still hold a considerable advantage on braking grip, so I found myself braking much earlier with the Hans Dampf. I also didn't notice any significant rolling resistance improvement. I don't think I'll be replacing the Magic Mary up front anytime soon.
    Thanks for the feedback. Did you ever try the previous hans dampf on the front? I am wondering about the difference between the two in soft compound as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Did you ever try the previous hans dampf on the front? I am wondering about the difference between the two in soft compound as a front tire.
    I did have the 1st Gen Hans Dampf (Trailstar) front and back on my previous bike. They got torn up good, especially the rear, just after one season.

It's hard to make a comparison though without riding the tires back to back.

My current bike has much more powerful brakes than my previous one so I can't say for sure how much of that extra stopping power can be attributed to the new tire.

What I can say with more certainty is that the side knob support of the new Hans Dampf is better than the old one. On that one ride where I used the new Hans Dampf in the front, I didn't notice significant degradation in cornering support/grip compared to the burly Magic Mary (at least in hardpack conditions).

JCP
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was I detested in trying the new HD in the read matched to a MM soft in the front. I was looking for HD speedgrip 29er but it doesn't like it is available in the compound in 2.35 width. How do you find the HD soft in terms of rolling resistance? Any comparison to Maxxis Dhr 2? Thx.

JCP
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Interested, not detested. Damn autocorrect lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    Interested, not detested. Damn autocorrect lol.
    I'd guess the HD, in soft would not be faster rolling than the DHR2, but would grip better. Also, though the new Schwalbe Addix is very durable, I'm thinking the soft version would not wear as well as the DHR2. Do you really need that much tread/grip on the back?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been running the new HD (29er soft with tire noodle) in the rear. I usually run an Aggressor 2.5 and sometimes the DHRII but have tried many others as well.
    The new HD is working pretty well for me considering our trails have been wet going on 12 weeks now.
    I find it rolls notable better than those other two tires with a small decrease in overall traction, which was a fair trade off for me.
    The new HD rides just like the now discontinued WTB Breakout but with much better wear characteristics.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JCP
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Which version of the dhr 2 have you used? 3c vs dual compound? Interesting to hear that the HD soft has less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    Which version of the dhr 2 have you used? 3c vs dual compound? Interesting to hear that the HD soft has less rolling resistance.
    I've ran the dual Exo in the rear (liked very much) and also ran the 3c as a front (don't like very much).

Addix compounds are the rear deal. They wear very well, they stick better than most, and they roll great. Like really great.

What's missing in an EXO type sidewall in the 2.35" tire widths. Not a trail casing, not a DH casing, but something in between. They offer the Apex in their larger tires which is a good equivalent to the Exo, but I don't like larger tires.

JCP
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have tried the MM soft in the front and NN speedgrip in the rear. Both 29X2.35. Was very impressed with how they rode. Living in the PNW, trails now are in varying degrees of wet. The NN starts getting a little sketchy in current conditions. That's why the new HD peaked my interest but no speedgrip option for the rear. Options for 29ers are somewhat limited as you stated. Have to choose between snakeskin which is pretty thin or super gravity which is pretty heavy. No apex option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Performance line of Schwalbe tires is just an Addix Speed/ Grip with extra layers of rubber on the sidewall instead of the high tech snakeskin.

Don't let the fact that they cost less remove them from your consideration.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JCP
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Didn't know that. Might just be what I need. Do you know if the sidewalk is more robust than snakeskin?

Barely in control
    Yes, the Germans gave the nod to the performance version of the NN. Better durchschlag, better durchstich, and half the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    so just for reference. On a DTSWISS i30 rim a 2.35 measures 63mm at the nobs. Mine is also toast after 5 months of riding 2-4 times a week and in Laguna. The knobs are pretty deformed and the rubber is tearing away all over the tire.

The tire has performed very well.

Just figured real world experience would be welcomed.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    so just for reference. On a DTSWISS i30 rim a 2.35 measures 63mm at the nobs. Mine is also toast after 5 months of riding 2-4 times a week and in Laguna. The knobs are pretty deformed and the rubber is tearing away all over the tire.

The tire has performed very well.

Just figured real world experience would be welcomed.
    I've been using the HD in the PNW for a couple of months on the front and it has been fantastic. However, I spent 6 days in Arizona with it and although it performed great, the side knobs are shredded and tearing.